The Wild Card situation...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Air Canada, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Air Canada

Air Canada Veteran

After today's nice win...it appears everything is all topsy turvy and the Texans have gained ground...if we can't get the division from the Colts(not likely) we are in a great position to compete and win a wild card.

The Ravens lost to the Vikes on a missed field goal...3 losses in a row
    The Jets lose in OT to the Bills on a field goal....3 losses in a row
    The Jags won in OT against the Rams...

all 3 teams are knotted a 3-3 and the Texans are in a position that we need to take advantage of from this point forward...

Next up 49ers! Let's do this Houston!:texflag:

2. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

It's way too early in the year for me to give up on the division, or to care if they're 1 or 2 games back in the wild card standings. Houston is three behind the Colts, but they still face each other two times. Not impossible to come back from that. I have the same feelings for the Texans as I do for the Longhorns: all they have to worry about is winning their games this early in the season.

thunderkyss likes this.
  3. Fox

Fox All Pro

Cheer your butts off and enjoy the race while it lasts. ;)

4. C Madd

C Madd Veteran

I was just looking at this and was surprised. Don't forget San Diego, though, they're 2-2 going into tomorrow.

Also, the rest of the schedule isn't too bad, with the exception of the 2 Indy games and New England, so hopefully Houston will take advantage.

5. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

Personally, I'm hoping the Patriots have already clinched something by that time and sit everyone. I don't want to see them if something is on the line. The key going forward is to win the games at home. Win those and the Texans can at least be in position to in the hunt.

A lot of mediocrity amongst the AFC right now. A team looks good one week and struggles another. Outside of Indy nobody has looked unbeatable. The wildcards will be wide open to a multitude of teams. Only the Titans, the Chiefs, and the Browns should already be excluded. I think the Raiders and the Bills (both with victories today) have too many issues to really be a factor as well. So, that leaves 11 teams still in the hunt for those 6 playoff spots. That's why those 2 tough losses hurt so much. The Texans could be in a driver's seat for a spot instead of tied right now. But ... it is way too early in the season. There are a lot of games left and many things could still happen either way.

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

My sentiment ends right there. It's too early. Show some consistency. Let's roll 3 or 4 wins in a row. Then I'll let myself peek at the standings in an "can we make the playoffs" kinda way.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That's the best part of the schedule. We control our own destiny. Two wins against Indy will give us the tie breaker, if we need it for the division.

A win against the Patriots will probably give us the tie breaker for the wildcard.

8. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I hope this thread is right but at best I see one win against Indy and unless a playoff spot is asured for NE by week 17 I don't see the Texans beating them. I don't mean to be a debby downer and hope I'm wrong. GO TEXANS

9. Texans80

Texans80 Rookie

Let's take advantage. These next two games are key. I hope we're standing at 5-3 before our showdown in Indy!

10. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Lets look at it this way:

The Locks // Division Winners for Sure

Colts, Broncos, Patriots

Wild Card Contenders/Iffy Division Lead

Steelers - Should win their division but started slow and tough division
    Ravens - Really fallen off hard, how far do they fall?
    Chargers - No pass rush, can't stop the run, iffy at running the ball
    Texans - See Chargers, but more hope here and track record of playing better in the 2nd half of season
    Jaguars - They're hanging around and will continue to, their schedule is easy kinda from here on but they lose games they should win
    Dolphins - Henne basically in his rookie season right now, defense is very beatable and has been beat by bad offenses this year
    Bengals - Weird team, very lucky for a stretch and came back to reality today, I don't think they're as good as they started the season and aren't as bad as today, probably an 8-8 team
    Jets - Rookie Sanchez is coming back to reality and despite being a good blitzing team they're last in the NFL in sacks, lots of questions here and they're falling on hard times

11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

We have an excellent opportunity to be on a 3 game winning streak with momentum heading into Indy. That will give Reeves 4 games back in the lineup along with Quinn gaining experience and Pollard having more time as the starter and the defense should be hitting on all cylinders by then if we keep playing like they have been since the 2nd half of the Arizona game.

We've got a pissed off 49ers team that's had an extra week to prepare for us though and we need to look at them first and foremost.

12. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

i'm not real happy about playing another team coming off a bye week. arizona sure looked good in the first half after having that extra week.

13. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

thats the cards we been delt with

anywayz our divison is not out of reach we still play indy 2 times

we just need indy to implode a little

yes iam drinking that kool aid :chef:

14. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

The loss to Arizona hurts, but if you're going to lose, better that it's a non-conference team. This Cincy win was big because it helps in tie-breakers should it come to that. We're 3-2 in conference play.

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Veteran

Who would've of thought the Jet's would start imploding a little bit....

I did! Sanchez was getting way too much love and I had feeling that things may start fallin apart. The media practically crowned them SB contenders...

:runaway:

16. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Wild Card?? Huh... They've only played 6 games, and already talks of playoffs...

17. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

if indy lost a couple games it would make it interesting

18. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Man that loss to Arizona hurts. 4-2 would be so sweet right now

19. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Aaaaah! It's so much nicer to come here on the MB after a win and hear all the talk of playoffs than to come here after a loss and hear all the negative whiners!

Anyway, I still think it's too early to speculate about the playoffs, but I like the way this Defense is starting to play. If they keep this up, and we continue to score the way we have and put a string of wins together, the talk of playoffs will take on some meaning. Now, if we can only find our running game .... :jogger:

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

A win against San Francisco would be nice. For where the team & fans are emotionally. But post season wise, if we're going to pick which games we win/lose.... it would be better for us to win against Buffalo, an AFC team who may be looking at a Wildcard spot themselves in December.

Our biggest challenges coming up, is to beat Indy twice. If we both end up with 10 wins, that will put us in the play-offs as division champs.

If we split the games with Indy, the next tie breaker would be our record in the division.

They are 2-0 in the division. If we split, they'll be 3-1. If they also beat Jax & Ten a gain, they'll be 5-1.

We're 1-1. If we split, we'll be 2-2, and if we beat Jax & Ten, we'll be 4-2, we lose the tie breaker.

Our best hope, for post season play is to win out... so I guess SF is a key game... & win the rest of our division games. That's a 5 week stretch (including a bye) of back to back division games.

November 8th at Indy
    Bye
    November 23rd Monday Night @ Reliant... Tennessee (can't look past these guys)
    November 29th Indy @ Reliant. it's a short week, but we've got to win it.
    December 6 @ Jaxsonville....

If we can pull off a 4 game win streak in there.. 5 games, if we beat the Bills to start it off..... then finish the season with a win against Miami in Miami, & New England @ Reliant we'll either be the division champs, or looking pretty good for a wild-card.

I know 11-5 didn't get New England in last year. But how often does that happen.

I know you can't pick & choose which games you lose.

I'm just saying, best case scenario, next to winning out.. would be to win all our AFC games remaining on the schedule.