Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Wave

I like the wave.

And I have plenty of energy leading all the rows around row R in the Bullpen in cheers. Who do you think reverberates the temporary seating to kick off the "DEFENSE" chants? :D

So +1 for the wave.

While I understand the reasoning behind why some of y'all don't like it, I find it fun. The end.

So people don't like the wave because it is too physically intensive for their bodies and they would rather "save" their energy? Wow. I have no idea how you make it from you vehicle to the stadium. Are you the same people that will wait 10 minutes for someone to give up a front row parking space at the store rather than walk an extra 25 feet?

It's not like I'm some sort of wave fanatic or anything but come on, if people think it's fun then who cares. I'm sorry but I can't take complaints seriously about the stupidity of the wave from anyone with body paint and a blue and red fright wig on.

"Oooooo look... someone started the wave..."

"Here it comes... here it comes..."

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Aww geez... I just pulled a hammy."

"Damn you Mr. Wave-Starter-Guy!!! Damn you to HELL!!!"

:wild:

The wave sucks. Just shows that you are not paying attention to what is going on the field. You are just awaiting with glee for the wave to make it back to you. WEEEEEEE!!!!!!! What is fun about that?

Some tried to start the wave in the 600s while the Texans had the ball. They were determined to get it going and tried about 12 times until they finally gave up. At that point, the team was driving down the field, and I think it was still a one-score game. Yet, they felt like they needed to start the wave instead of watch the game.

Just not for me.

So people don't like the wave because it is too physically intensive for their bodies and they would rather "save" their energy? Wow. I have no idea how you make it from you vehicle to the stadium. Are you the same people that will wait 10 minutes for someone to give up a front row parking space at the store rather than walk an extra 25 feet?

No... I am the 40 year old that drives through the gate at 7:00am, sets up for tailgating, pops my first beer ~ 7:20am and never sits down until I leave the parking lot a couple of hours after the game. Essentially, I am going non-stop from 7:00am until about 5:00pm.... I will save my energy for stomping my feet, yelling at the top of my lungs and shaking bottles full of pennies... But thats just me...

Wave = lame.

It's not like I'm some sort of wave fanatic or anything but come on, if people think it's fun then who cares.

When people use more energy for a wave than they do supporting our defensive stands, yeah, I do care about the ignorant football fan.

If you think it's cool to be disruptive when our offense is on the field, then you might want to take that class they give chicks every year explaining the concepts of football and homefield advantage.

I think video games are fun, but I'm not sitting their playing my Gameboy at our games. Time and place, man.

The wave should be used for baseball and soccer games. Sporting events with no clear homefield advantage and where spontaneous cheering and crowd participation have no impact on the game.

70,000 hometown fans can make an impact on a football game. This makes football different than other sports. We, collectively, can create disruptions for our opponents, but it takes a knowledgeable fanbase to pull it off.

So please excuse me if my fanatical devotion to our team takes exception to certain distractions in the crowd that lesson our chance to impact the game and help our team win.

I tell you what's more fun than the wave: winning freakin' games. :wild: :texflag:

Wave = fun

So...uhhhh....going to the game is not fun enough? :um:

I like the wave.

And I have plenty of energy leading all the rows around row R in the Bullpen in cheers. Who do you think reverberates the temporary seating to kick off the "DEFENSE" chants? :D

So +1 for the wave.

While I understand the reasoning behind why some of y'all don't like it, I find it fun. The end.

If you are in the Bull Pen, you are already :bat: standing. The wave dies at the Bull Pen.

Also, think about what everyone has said so far....

The wave during our offense is BADDDD!!! Don't make me explain why.
The wave during our defense?? We are already standing and cheering.

If you think it's cool to be disruptive when our offense is on the field, then you might want to take that class they give chicks every year explaining the concepts of football and homefield advantage.

They really need to put that "Quiet Please -- Offense at Work" graphic up more often. I noticed that they only did it once on Thursday, yet it was needed more then than at any game I've been to in recent memory.

Please, we can't get people to shut up without the wave.

Guess I'm in the vast minority here, but I was so giddy Thursday evening, I did my part to try and continue the wave when it came around to me. I wasn't drinking, but I was high with the thrill of the impending win, the roof being open, and a national tv football game, I just got carried away with the emotion of the moment.

I'm ashamed of myself.

:d:

The wave seems appropriate at baseball games. Probably because there's a constant lull in action between pitches and between batters. I've never seen a successful one at a football game. If they did it in between quarters, during the two minute warning or during a timeout I'd have no problems with it. During the game though it seems kinda dumb

True, given all the breaks in baseball it helps to have something to do in the down time. In football, I don't complain, but to tell the truth, when I'm trying to watch the field the standing and woosh across my view, is pretty annoying. Yes, in that respect, I'm pretty grumpy. I don't like the distraction of the wave or watching out for beachballs when I'm trying to watch the game.

Guess I'm in the vast minority here, but I was so giddy Thursday evening, I did my part to try and continue the wave when it came around to me. I wasn't drinking, but I was high with the thrill of the impending win, the roof being open, and a national tv football game, I just got carried away with the emotion of the moment.

I'm ashamed of myself.

:d:

Everyone gets one mulligan.... :cowboy1:

Sometimes I feel that we will never become an intelligent football crowd in Houston.

Ok Ted, educate us on the "Luv Ya Blue days" and the "House of Pain" for those of us who weren't here.

I'm sure that there weren't these problems back then, right?

shaking bottles full of pennies

So shaking a bottle full of Lincolns = a perfectly sane response during a football game.

Wave = no so much

The wave should be used for baseball and soccer games. Sporting events with no clear homefield advantage and where spontaneous cheering and crowd participation have no impact on the game.

So you mean me yelling "eh batter eh batter, SWING batter" doesn't count as homefield advantage?

Obviously there are times to do certain things. God knows that there are enough tv timeouts during a football game where there is plenty of time to do whatever.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying what goes on during the wave. You stand up. You can stand up and go WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! You can stand up and wave your arms. You can stand up and wave your arms and yell WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Where is the concentration part at? I see people saying that it takes your concentration off the game to do the wave. Just how short is your attention span?

It's interesting to me to see people get this bent out of shape over something so silly.

Golly gee, look at the noobs doing the wave, harumpf, harumpf, harumpf, of all the nerve of those simpletons. Don't they know that it's the cowbell that's in this year!?!?!

I'm glad I know that everyone hates it so much. Maybe when I finally get to a game in Houston I will get seats deadcenter of the Bull Pen and just go "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" the whole game. I'll bring my bagpipes and accordian and bug the crap out of everyone for 3+ hours.

It will be a blast I am sure. :whip:

:doot: WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

So shaking a bottle full of Lincolns = a perfectly sane response during a football game.

Wave = no so much

LMAO!! It makes noise while you're yelling, stomping feet AND paying attention to the game. It really doesn't require as much hand-eye coordination as what it sounds like.

LMAO!! It makes noise while you're yelling, stomping feet AND paying attention to the game. It really doesn't require as much hand-eye coordination as what it sounds like.

Just watch the beer intake at the tailgate before the game. We wouldn't want you shaking too hard and falling over the rail. Maybe get a harness or something and buckle yourself in. :wild:

Honestly I can't remember where I have even done the wave. I've been to exactly ONE pro football game in my life and that was Oilers-Bengals, way back who knows when. I've been to more NHL games than NFL (sad, I know). I have no idea if they do the wave at hockey games, I'm too busy being the ***** leading chants against the opposing goaltender.

I think what attracted my attention about this thread is the whole idea that THIS kind of celebrating and hell raising is okay, but THAT kind isn't.

:fans:

Just watch the beer intake at the tailgate before the game. We wouldn't want you shaking too hard and falling over the rail. Maybe get a harness or something and buckle yourself in. :wild:

Honestly I can't remember where I have even done the wave. I've been to exactly ONE pro football game in my life and that was Oilers-Bengals, way back who knows when. I've been to more NHL games than NFL (sad, I know). I have no idea if they do the wave at hockey games, I'm too busy being the ***** leading chants against the opposing goaltender.

I think what attracted my attention about this thread is the whole idea that THIS kind of celebrating and hell raising is okay, but THAT kind isn't.

:fans:

*cusses* thats what I've been doin' wrong.... :gun:

My answers in this thread are tongue-in-cheek, so I'm not trying to offend anyone here.

So you mean me yelling "eh batter eh batter, SWING batter" doesn't count as homefield advantage?

I've been to Astros post-season games, including a World Series. We yelled for offense, defense, and when the big finger guy showed up in our section. I don't really think baseball has much homefield advantage in the same sense that it's present in football. The baseball team might get some positive vibes from their hometown crowd, but there is certainly nothing strategic about yelling at a baseball game.

Football, on the other hand, can have a big impact from crowd noise. False starts, fumbled snaps, disrupted signals/audibles, untimely used time outs, and failed snap counts are all products of an opposing team trying to overcome a rabid home crowd. I believe the NFL was the only pro sport that actually had a penalty for excessive crowd noise, but it's been repealed this last off-season.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying what goes on during the wave. You stand up. You can stand up and go WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! You can stand up and wave your arms. You can stand up and wave your arms and yell WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Where is the concentration part at? I see people saying that it takes your concentration off the game to do the wave. Just how short is your attention span?

It's interesting to me to see people get this bent out of shape over something so silly.

Golly gee, look at the noobs doing the wave, harumpf, harumpf, harumpf, of all the nerve of those simpletons. Don't they know that it's the cowbell that's in this year!?!?!

If someone is watching the wave go around the stadium so they can get their turn, then how are they watching the game? And if someone is not watching the game, then how do they know when to cheer for our defensive stands and when to STFU when our offense is on the field?

It's bush league, and if that's what we want to be in Houston, then far be it from little ol' me to stop it.

I'm glad I know that everyone hates it so much. Maybe when I finally get to a game in Houston I will get seats deadcenter of the Bull Pen and just go "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" the whole game. I'll bring my bagpipes and accordian and bug the crap out of everyone for 3+ hours.

It will be a blast I am sure. :whip:

Good luck with all that. I doubt they notice you in the Bull Pen, considering they stand for the majority of the time. Hey, you might even get a *free* beer, although it'll be poured on you.

:shades: don't forget your big beach ball!

It's not what celebrating and hell raising is OK. It's when the celebrating and hell raising is OK.

Exactly! Well said. :thumbup

I like to think the wave is mostly for kids or "first-timers." It's not for me but I don't actually mind if others partake (or try to.)

I must come correct and tell the truth:

As a child, I was traumatized by 'the wave'. I was awkward with little to no rhythm and fairly uncoordinated. As ‘the wave’ came around, I was always about two to three sections to late. I then overcompensated and became about two to three sections too fast. I was ‘booed’ mercilessly by the fans in my section. This scarred me deeply. Since then, I have made it my life’s mission to stomp out ‘the wave’.

Thank you
:gun:

...Maybe I'm over-simplifying what goes on during the wave. You stand up. You can stand up and go WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! You can stand up and wave your arms. You can stand up and wave your arms and yell WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!...

The WEEEE's got me laughing, I could picture that. rep.

Bush league eh?

heh-heh, fight songs for pro sports teams are bush league, too, IMO. So what the hell do I know? idonno:

Much better to be known for. A little black-holish, but classy none the less.

I was just kidding. I'm a goat herder up in the 500's, so I can't really vouch if they would or would not pour beer on you. But the fans in the Bull Pen that I know wouldn't do it. It would not be very Texan of them.

heh-heh, fight songs for pro sports teams are bush league, too, IMO. So what the hell do I know? idonno:

I disagree, when done right a song being sung by the entire stadium can be really cool. See just about any game of professional soccer game in Europe, espically England (and from there Liverpool, whose fans sing "You never walk alone" during every home game).

I disagree, when done right a song being sung by the entire stadium can be really cool. See just about any game of professional soccer game in Europe, espically England (and from there Liverpool, whose fans sing "You never walk alone" during every home game).

I will not be singing in unison, with my fellow fans, It's Football Time in Houston. Just ain't going to happen. :cool:

Always room for disagreement. :)

Just remember that my background comes from the super-duper ultra-cheesy "Oilers Number One" song back in the day. Everything that song said was false and never materialized. It was all one big lie....not to mention how unbelievably lame the actual music is to that particular song.

I have yet to hear a fight song that is inspiring in my mind.

As far as comparing us to soccer fans, we ain't European...not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

I will not be singing in unison, with my fellow fans, It's Football Time in Houston. Just ain't going to happen. :cool:

It's not a bad song, as far as country/rock hybrids go...but I'd be lying if I said it sounds like a 'fight song'. It's more of a game intro, IMO, but I know for certain that I am in the minority with this one.

But I go to the game to, get this, watch the game. All the circus sideshow stuff is cool for folks, but it does absolutely nothing to enhance my experience. Football, first and foremost, is the sole reason for my dedicated attendance.

Obviously, to each his own and all that jazz. :cowboy1: whatever floats yer boat!

Back