The Vince Young dream is over. Casserly speaks definitively, decisively.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by GP, Apr 26, 2006.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

"We came to the conclusion that to draft a quarterback, whether it be Vince Young, Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler, was not the best thing for this football team," Casserly said. "The best thing for this football team was to use the first pick in this draft to add a premier player at another position."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

What else can be said?

Oh, I forgot...this is all just smoke and mirrors. Not.

That's about as good as you'll ever get on an NFL team revealing that it has x'd itself out of taking a certain player, or even dismissing an entire position or category.

It really is going to be Bush or Williams. Either one of those will be fine by me.

But I do know this: It ain't going to be Vince Young.

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Believe it or not, I've been pretty sure for some time, that the Texans weren't going to draft Vince Young.... right about the time they signed Rosenfells.

But of course, that's never swayed me from believing that Vince Young is the best player in this draft...... that Vince is the only player worthy of the #1 pick in this draft, although there has been a pretty good case built for Mario Williams Since the Senior Bowl, and that the Texans are going to mess this draft up.

Now, another bit of honesty..... I've been against drafting Reggie Bush, regardless of where in the draft, since the "Bush Bowl" that was sickening. IMHO, if you are going to draft, to make those fans happy, then you should get rid of the only Texan that has been booed in Reliant stadium.... the fans have spoken.

4. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I wasn't on the "VY for Texans QB" bandwagon, but I'm a fan of his and I wish him the very best wherever he goes. It will take time and patience, but eventually he will become a star in this league.

5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2422983

Link to your article.

6. Eyeguy

Eyeguy Veteran

Ditto, Good Luck Vince I hope you play in the NFC

7. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

Williams was'nt at the seniorbowl.(He's a junior) His buzz started at the combine...

8. shinerbock_girl

shinerbock_girl Hall of Fame

Especially when he quotes this, "We can't let ourselves be influenced by public pressure," he said. "You can never do that. Public pressure can sway."

But is he prepared for the potential backlash if the team passes on not just Young, but Heisman Trophy winner Bush, as well?

"If that happens, then I'll be the first one to defend Mario Williams," he said. "What people should understand is that if we take Mario Williams and if somebody doesn't like it, then I'm right here and I'm the guy to yell at. Nobody else. Boo me. Don't boo Mario Williams."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...NDubYF?slug=ap-texans-draft&prov=ap&type=lgns

Doesn't sound encouraging for Reggie :crying:

9. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

The hand writing has been on the wall since they re-upped Carr. This isn't news to me. If you have been living in beautiful downtown Houston and have your head in the parted clouds waiting for Lord Vince to bestow his heavenly figure upon downtown Houston, then ya, it's a shock.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

who was the DE practicing against Ferguson??

Almost forgot.......

Wow, he's only a junior???

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

In my opinion the only thing worse than drafting another QB this year in the first round are people who get goose bumps and find joy to let others know that he will not be coming here.

12. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

mathias kiwanuka from boston college if i'm not mistaken.

13. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Well that doesn't sound discouraging to me. All Casserly is saying is that don't boo Williams because he was picked by the Texans. He has no control over where he's going. I think he doesn't want a situation like in Philly years back when they picked McNabb and the fans booed him. I will be definitely be very dissapointed if we don't pick Reggie Bush. And the only way I'm going to get over that is that if we win because winning cures all that is ill. Also, M.Williams for me has to perform near pro-bowl level his first year, that's the only way I can justify the Texans picking him over Bush.:twocents:

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Kiwanaka......... williams...... maybe I got those two names confused??

This particular guy looked impressive against D'Brick, if I'm not mistaken.... on passing downs..... or pass protection drills.

15. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

he's had buzz on him for a long time. i remember a bunch of people last year saying he was the best defensive player in the country as a sophomore. it just took a while for him to get in the national picture, but he would've been a top 5 pick regardless of hype.

16. Trap_Star

Darryl Tapp???:confused:

17. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

tapp has been pretty much the only player to look impressive against ferguson in the past 2 years.

18. Trap_Star

I meant to say the buzz on him being the Texans pick.

Yep, I agree....:ok:

19. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Well said.

At this point, I am merely rooting against certain players going to certain teams.

20. Texaneyes

Texaneyes Rookie

If the Texans don't draft Vince Young, they'll go right to the top of the all-time bonehead chart:

They'll lose a once-in-a-lifetime player, the best draft pick in decades.

They'll lose their one chance for a statewide fan base, a fan base that Dallas currently monopolizes.

The Houston Texans owners and coaches will only go to the Superbowl if their travel agents can get them tickets to the game.