The value of a winning attitude

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Oct 8, 2007.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

After the first two games of the regular season, the Houston Texans looked like the NFL team this city has been craving. A tough as nails defense that hit hard, a no fear quarterback who made plays, and a gunslinger coach who played aggressively.

Then Indianapolis came to town. The game was billed as the biggest in franchise history. The team and the city felt invincible. The Texans were down multiple key starters and the game got away from the early. Schaub was able to rally the team and bring them within 6, but it was too little too late. And so began the steps backwards.

Since the Indianapolis game, I have noticed a distinct regression in multiple aspects of our team. Our pass defense has lost its confidence. Our run defense has gotten shaky. Our running game looks lost. Our pass rush looks like its old self.

During the first two games, a 3rd and long meant excitement. Williams off the edge, Okoye up the middle, and maybe TJ making a leaping INT! Now 3rd and long breeds anxiety. Questions like, "Why is Faggins 15 yards off the LOS?" or "Why can't we generate a pass rush?" start to pop up.

On offense, 1st and goal was a reason to be excited. Will we score on a run up the gut, a fade into the corner, or let Schaub run it in himself on a naked bootleg? Now 1st and goal, even from inside the 5, breeds anxiety as well. "How many tries will Dayne get this time?"

So what has changed? Why did our team look so great in the beginning and seem to fall so fast?

For one, injuries have played something of a role. Losing Green really hurt us. But Dayne has shown in the past he isn't as bad as he looks, Wynn has been a great replacement on special teams, and Andre Davis has played superbly as a replacement for Andre Johnson.

I really think the difference in the last two games has been confidence. We've played some very questionable teams over the past two weeks. Coming into the games, neither had a single victory. The Texans know what losing can do. We've lost more than we've won every year we've been in the league. It creates a panic. The players have alluded that this has been a major problem in the past. Just read any comment by any player about David Carr, and you'll know exactly what I mean. Schaub's presence has helped hold this team together, but nothing fixes the problem like winning.

I think the moral of the story so far is to be patient. This team has the talent, and we've seen it. The Texans do have a pass rush. They can run the ball. They have a good coach.

They also have leaders. DeMeco and Dunta are smart and tough. Schaub is a general.

This team is learning to win, and every victory, even like yesterdays, helps.
    They know they can pull it out in crunch time, make those key stops on 3rd down, and drive from the 5 yard line with 2 minutes to go. These are the kind of things that build winners. And no matter how talented your team is, I do not believe there is any substitute for a winners attitude.

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I wish I still believed what I had written all those weeks ago. How do you change a losing team into a winning team?

Talent alone can't do it. Its in the attitude.

3. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

They are desperate for that bye week to regroup. I think once they have Matt, AJ, and Green back consistently in the lineup, they'll be a much better team. The San Diego game was a trap game anyway. I knew the fires would either distract the team or galvanize them. Clearly, it galvanized them, and distracted us. Or something like that.

4. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

I think many of us don't have the belief in this years edition of the Texans that we had starting the season.

I am extremely disappointed that our qb took such a shot to the head yesterday and not one of his teammates even looked angry about it.

I was looking and hoping for some sort of retaliation, penalty be damned.

Nothing!

Kubes should have put a bounty on their qb. And promised an extra day off of practice for whoever collected. McNair could pay the fine, under the table of course.

I don't even pretend to know if it is just lack of talent or poor coaching anymore. (But I do have an opinion)

Most of the faces on this team have changed , players and coaches, but the sorry product on the field remains the same.

I quit watching at halftime, it was obvious this team has no attitude.

Go back a couple of weeks on this board and see how much flak TJ caught from his fans (?) ..:stooges: for his attitude.

I praised him then and I do it now.

I can only wait and wonder who will be the new scapegoat for this losing season.

Note to Schaub: Toughen up buddy, the season isn't half over yet.

:coffee:

Double Barrel likes this.
  5. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

This email was just sent by the Head Coach of my son's HS team. We are facing a tough rival this week. Maybe Kubiak can borrow his fire.

6. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

You can't make an excuse that the Texans defense was tired this game. They looked horrible and confused from the second SD offensive series.

It wasn't just that the defense was a step slow like it was just a talent thing. They just out and out gooned, and the only hope for this defense is keeping them off the field.

Richard Smith is a clown. Jon Hoke is not much better. Read both of their bios on the HT.com website. The bios would be hilarious except these are the guys who are coaching this Texans team.

I have some hope for the offense because I've seen glimpses. I have no hope for the Texans defense with the defensive coaching. Why should I? He has no track record of success, and both the pass and the run defense is near the bottom of the league. When there are good plays on defense, usually it looks more like individual effort and not wow, what an amazing scheme.

7. gjmac2

gjmac2 Veteran

Not that I disagree, TC, but WOW, I did not know you had that kind of venom. Usually, you pull your punches, don't you?

BTW, I totally agree.

8. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Looks like TC has more fire than the majority of the players on our football team.

Just "telling it like it is".

:coffee: