Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The turf . . . again

On 610 AM, they had Charley Casserly on. A caller asked him about the situation with the turf at Reliant Stadium.

Casserly: "The field at Reliant on Sunday was completely unacceptable."

If he is making a public statement to that effect, you'd better believe he had McNair's backing. So, there is hope in the fact that they publicly recognize there is a problem.

Chance_C said:
I thought they did have trays that they kept outside (somewhere?) that they rotated with the ones in Reliant?

This is the response I got regarding the field for next year:

Thanks for your interest and support of the Houston Texans. Please remember that the Texans are a tenant of this facility and the County is the group ultimately responsible for the stadium field. Also, there are several other events in the stadium besides our football games which obviously has an effect on the field. Some good news from that is that the County has already ordered 700 more trays which will be available for next year and brings our total of trays to 2.4 fields. We are hoping that this will go a long way to fixing the problems that we have experienced in years past.

Thanks again.
Barry Asimos
Director of Operations

We'll se how that work out..... :hmmm:

I have heard that that the Original supplier of grass told the Texans that they would need rotate 3 fields to keep the grass in shape for the entire season. Looks like they are getting closer with the 2.4 Fields worth of grass

Now does Seattle use field turf? Because that field looked amazing yesterday. I couldn't tell a difference.

I'm pretty good at deciphering tones and inflections in people's voices. At least my wife tells me that, sometimes too well for my own good.

When I listened to Casserly's comments about the turf at Reliant, the conviction, if not downright angry contempt in his voice was clearly obvious when he said the field at Reliant on Sunday was "completely unacceptable"

But when he spoke of the county's 'solution' of adding more trays to create 2.4 football fields, there was nothing but resignation in his voice. "Well, we hope that will solve the problem".

The field may indeed look better next year, but the playing condition of the field will not be improved. And I think Casserly believes that just as much as I do.

The turf in San Diego looked bad yesterday. Grass doesn't do too well in the winter. It's always been like that. I can't remember too much "good grass" late in the season ever when watching football unless its in Miami or Arizona.

Vinny said:
The turf in San Diego looked bad yesterday. Grass doesn't do too well in the winter. It's always been like that. I can't remember too much "good grass" late in the season ever when watching football unless its in Miami or Arizona.

That field up in Green Bay doesn't look too shabby if you ask me. I noticed that they didn't have to wet that field down either. And for some reason, I don't see the Pats field being a "source of negative comment" after the NE/Indy game next week.

I don't believe anyone is picking nits with the field at Reliant.

The northern states have much better looking fields this time of year, and they have snow to worry about.

The Texans better get this thing fixed.

It can't be that complicated of an issue can it?! We're talking about grass here! If it doesn't work just replace the freakin' thing with something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
All this talk about the D-line. Its the O-Line that has been the biggest disappointment this season. The D has regressed since the inagural season and the O-Line has regressed from last season. If we had the 1st years D the 2nd years O-Line and this years backs and receivers we would be going to the playoffs

nameless reply

You forget two points : (1) We have new players at three positions, and (2) We changed our blocking scheme.

Realistically, we started back at square one and it will take two full seasons and three training camps before they begin to really master the new blocking.

Mistake? Maybe. But it was a coaching decision we have to live with.

We have four picks in the first three rounds of this next draft. Two of these need to be a Center and a Guard. They probabably will not play much in '05 but may be ready by '06.

2 weeks ago

What did you do, jwillis, get drunk and forget what thread you're posting on?

As for Green Bay's field, it is basically painted dirt, but that is in Green Bay, Wisconsin in January, for cripes sake. So why is there painted 'mud' in Houston, Texas?

And yes, the field in Relaint should look, and feel, like the ones in Miami and Arizona.

I remember talk of converting the Astrodome next door into a green house. What if the Dome was used as a place to grow the grass and then have it shifted next door to Reliant using the tray system.

Back