The TexCanada off-season

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by TexCanada, Jan 18, 2011.

1. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

1) Players to re-sign: Foster, Leach, Ward, Rashad Butler, Diles, Allen, JJ, OD, Studdard. Besides Foster, I wouldn’t be offering big money to any of these players, if they don’t accept a reasonable contract, let ‘em walk. Let Pollard, Turk, Leinart and Deljuan Robinson go

2) Trade both Eric Winston and Joel Dreesen (if Butler and OD get re-signed). I’m not sure what they would fetch, but I would think we could get a 4th or 5th round pick for each of them.

3) Cut Eugene Wilson, Andre Davis, Moulden, Slaton, Orlovsky and McCain

4) Decide if Cushing is an OLB or ILB

5) Sort out the kick return situation. Either Trindon Holliday is a game-breaker this year or he is off the team. I have had about enough of JJ at WR, so if Holliday can return punts then there is no need to re-sign JJ.

6) Go hard after one of the top veteran CBs (Aso, Champ, Taylor). MAKE SURE one of them is signed, overpaying if necessary. Darren Sharper could be another option if we can’t land a top CB.

7) Find a decently priced back-up QB in someone like Alex Smith, Seneca Wallace, Matt Moore or even re-sign Leinart if he is the best option. The Orlovsky experiment is done.

8) There are a lot of FA WRs out there, find one for a reasonable price who can be our #2 receiver

9) The Draft: My knowledge in this area is lacking, so I have basically cherry picked off of a number of different mock draft sites, including our own site
    RD 1) Von Miller - OLB
    RD 2) Kendrick Ellis – NT
    RD 3) Deunta Williams – FS
    RD 4) Derek Hall - OT
    RD 5) QB Prospect
    RD 6) Derek Epperson- P
    RD 7) BPA
    I have also acquired a couple of draft picks via trade, but I didn’t include them here because I figured they would likely be in the 2012 draft.

The new look Texans:
    Offense:
    QB: Schaub, vet FA, draft pick
    RB: Foster, Tate, Ward
    FB: Leach
    WR: AJ, vet FA, Walter, Dickerson, Anderson, (JJ or Holliday)
    TE: OD, Casey, Garret Graham, Anthony Hill
    LT: Duane Brown
    O Line: Brown, Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Butler, Briesel, Smith, Hall and maybe Studdard

Defense:
    NT: Ellis, Cody, Lewis,
    DE: Mario, Smith, Tim Jamison, Mitchell, Okoye, Bulman
    OLB: Barwin, Miller, Diles, Adibi, Nading
    ILB: Ryans, Cushing, Bentley, Sharpton
    CB: FA, KJ, Allen, GQ, McManis
    SS: Nolan, Barber
    FS: Deunta Williams, Demps

10) Go to playoffs

Honoring Earl 34 likes this.
  2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I like your work and can see your weeding the garden and planting some new seeds .

3. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

Thank you. I think I have cut enough salary to justify spending big on one FA contract, and brining in another 2 smallish to mid size contracts.

4. vanknights2002

vanknights2002 Rookie

We don't have Demps anymore.

5. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

I don't understand trading away Winston and Dreesen for 4th or 5th round picks; both of them are assets to this team IMO.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone is so down on Orlovsky. I'm not saying I think he's the next Steve Young or anything but the guy hasn't even thrown a pass for us. Why the negativity?

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

TexCanada, I agree with most of your points. Disagree on Dreesen and Winston, however. Eric had his first really bad year & is a solid RT that we can not afford to eliminate just yet. Dreesen was our best TE imo & I want him on team with OD who still needs to ramp up to where he was two years ago. I think we can re-sign OD to a reasonable contract due to his last two seasons injured. It will be interesting to see if Shelley Smith moves off PS and gives Studdard a race.

7. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Winston is probably our best lineman, not a guy you want to move.

I think keeping as consistent as possible on the OL is a good thing. Don't want to mix up more than one piece at a time.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

it wouldn't be the worst move in the world to pick up a project tackle somewhere second day to develop for the future.

9. jay23728

jay23728 Rookie

i want a punter as bad as anyone, but i feel a quality front ofice should be able to find one without using a 6th round pick. I heard lechler is unhappy in oakland, if he is, i would be willing to part with a 6th in a trade for a proven all-pro punter.

i say go free agent or undrafted to fix this punting situation.

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

so what's the risk of using a 6th rd. pick on a punter? It's not like whoever they would select other than a kicker could make the 53 man roster anyway. You need to recheck Texan results from prior drafts. In 2010 (both good picks IMO) 6a. Shelly Smith & 6b. Trindon Holiday, Smith was cut & latter added to practice squad while Trindon was placed on IR. In 2009 Brice McCain made the roster, even started a few games but still not guaranteed to be included in any long term plans? 2008 Dominique Barber, 'enough said, 2007 Kasey Studdard, a back-up's, back-up & 2006 the most revered draft year for Texans found them selecting Wali Lundy who is no longer even in the NFL.

Point being, give me a 6th rd. draft pick who upgrades a starting position, regardless of position any day. :)

11. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I think there is a very good chance that we lose Butler this off-season if we don't have a starting position to offer him. I thought that we could save some salary by re-signing him hopefully for a chunk less than what Winston makes. I think that they are equally as good linemen, although many people will probably disagree with that.

Something has got to give with our TE situation. We have too many guys there who are ready to play.

I picked Dreesen and Winston to trade because I needed to lower the salary in order to sign a top CB, and I thought that those 2 had a reasonably high value on the trade market.

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Unfortunately, if you trade those two, then you will have another injury or suspension... You have to maintain key depth.

13. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I agree, but I think depth is a luxury to be had only after all the starting spots have been adequately filled. I think we have enough depth at TE to part with one of them, and I drafted an OT to help recover from the loss of Winston.

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

So you are going to trust a 4th round rookie over a proven vet?

15. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

No, its more of along the lines of taking a risk. Do you think it is reasonable for us to expect Butler to re-sign if there is no starting spot available for him? I think we will lose him to FA and be in the same position with no depth anyway. The only difference is that I have Butler penciled in as the starter instead of Winston.

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

No, I'm not that concerned with us losing Butler. What has he done to be so enticing to other teams?

17. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I think he looked solid enough in his 4 game stretch of starting to warrant at least an offer or 2 from teams with starting spots up for grabs.

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I guess that's where we differ. I thought he looked like a backup

19. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

To be fair though, so did Winston.

If we could paint a scenario where we keep Winston (who I haven't lost faith in), re-sign Butler AND sign a top CB, then obviously that would be ideal. I just wasn't that optimistic about McNair making a big splash in free agency without cutting down some of our current salary.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think he will this year. Depending on if we have a season. But I don't see him hurting the offense to improve the defense. If we trade some starters, it will be on the defensive side of the ball