The Texans new defense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by clandestin, Apr 28, 2006.

1. clandestin

clandestin Veteran

2. clandestin

clandestin Veteran

There is a silver lining to not picking R.B. or V.Y. Assuming Weaver turns out to be good to very good and Williams becomes the elite player he's expected to be, our DL has the potential to be at the top of the NFL.

Defense builds cham--I won't finish that. Look at what the Bears did last year. They had nothing for offense, but they did have a front four that could stop the run and destroy quarterbacks by themselves. (Their #4 RB barely touched the field btw.)

If we just drafted Julius Peppers+ this team will be in great shape.

3. D-Rob23

D-Rob23 Veteran

I like this choice!!!

[​IMG]

4. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

OWNED!

5. clandestin

clandestin Veteran

6. Rosusu

Rosusu All Pro

With that set up our front seven looks very strong. I think we could definitely use some upgrades in the secondary at either safety position or CB opposite of DRob. Defense does win championships, we sure as HELL wont be the Colts. (but maybe we can stop their offense a little bit...maybe?)

7. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

An article with some sense..............

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12471820/

But few Super Bowl teams have arrived at the big game without a stout defense. (The St. Louis Rams come to mind, but darned few others.)

By taking Williams, the Texans' defense is set. Put him at end and fill in with complimentary pieces. They go from a so-so defense to one that makes offensive coordinators tear their their hair out, just like that.

After that, Houston should start collecting offensive linemen, the more the better. If there's a wide-out they think could develop into a top player, toss him in the shopping cart, too. But they have their quarterback, David Carr, and they have Dominick Davis at running back, a perfectly serviceable ball carrier who averages better than four yards a carry and 1,000 a season. He's not Bush, but he doesn't have to be.

8. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

this means we have put a lot of money into our defense now...i support this choice and we better start seeing results quickly

9. Texton

Texton Rookie

I couldn't agree more!

10. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

A good front 7 can "upgrade" the DBs we already have.

11. ensign_lee

ensign_lee Site Contributor

Not to poke holes, but why is Dunta our RCB and Faggins/Buchanon fighting for our LCB spot? :P

Only problem that I have with the Williams signing is what we're going to do with Peek/Babin now? I suppose we'll just rotate them in and out to keep everyone fresh, but meh.

At any rate, I wholeheartedly support this pick, if it is indeed what we're doing. Go Texans!:yahoo:

12. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

If that happens, that is part of the cost of recovering fromt he previous regime's errors.

13. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Don't forget that we still have the rest of the draft tomorrow. If we trade up in the first round to get a defensive back or a linebacker falls to us in the 2nd, he may be an immediate starter.

14. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

AGREED!:yahoo: I'm LOvin' this pick! This was my first choice cuz it's all about the D! Kubes can find a good back in the later round! I have a feeling that he will pick one either 3rd or 4th round.:twocents:

15. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

CC in his interview on 610 said we were light on Dline for a 4-3 before this pick, but now we are fine.

When asked about Peek moving back to LB, he said that the exact way the players would be used would be best discussed by the coaching staff but that it has been discussed internally.

16. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

the way williams plays reminds me alot of Freeney, i mean that and his build. plus he looks like a beast on D. so getting weaver,,,now williams,,,,smith,,,,and whoever else,,,it already sounds like a qb attack to me.

17. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

Agree, this might make P-Buch decent again!

18. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i think the most important thing to keep in mind is that we are still going to take a runningback early...i believe we are going to trade up back into the 1st round and pick our runningback...also...this means we'll probably have to wait til round 3 to pick up any o-lineman...something i'm not crazy about...just wondering who that lineman will be

19. shadowdrinker_x

shadowdrinker_x Rookie

Wow..this all sounds so familiar...the Saints thought the same thing when they drafted Charles Grant..then Will Smith..

''A great front line can mask your weakness at Cb''...let me tell you guys..no..it can't...these Offensive Coordinators will exploit every weakness you have...Mario Williams alone does not fix the porous D of the Texans...Will Smith, a very, very good Rookie DE..did very little to help much of anything for us...infact..having 3 Pro Bowl Caliber DE's in Grant, Howard and Smith, used in a rotation that was supposed to make us pass rushing Gods..had a very negative effect on our sack totals...

Ferguson was the pick...Houston blew it...

20. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Do you think Lendale White could fall to #33?