The Texans moves didn't raise many eyebrows, but they do provide promise

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Zac, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Zac

Zac Rookie

The Texans have just taken a big turn to getting younger. They have released key veterans who were leaders!

Now, leadership was replaced by youthful talent.

The upside of Peek and Babin is outstanding :drool: (Greenwood, I know very little about)

A backfield of Buchanon and Robinson sounds like a shut down pair of guys for the next 10 years. :drool: (Glenn and Coleman were solid last year)

And the Defensive line is getting a spark with the first round pick Johnson (I think that's his name) plus hopefully Payne and Walker can come around again to old form.

The offense gets speed injected into the Wide outs. Domink Davis has a legitamite back up. Wells appears ready to take a starters role as a full back. Ragone just won MVP in Europe.

The offenive line is the biggest question mark. Last year they were horrible. Can they get better with one year together. I would like McKinney to be moved to Left Guard.

Well, I hope that these big time changes provide the positive boost the team needs.

2. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Sometimes change is good and sometimes not.

Defense has been changed, hopefully for the good.

Offense hasn't really changed, especially the O-Line, hopefully for the better.
    The thinking must be that continuity is the key for the O-Line.

3. TommyS

TommyS Veteran

people need to get this out of their heads. jonathon wells was not, is not, and will never be, a starting full back. yes, we may see wells and davis in the backfield at the same time, but neither of them will be playing full back! we may see hollings and davis in the backfield, we may see wells and morency in the back field, but that gives us two tailbacks, not an RB and a FB. people are making WAY too much out of the "triple threat" article.

thats the way i read it anyway.

4. Big B Texan Fan

Yer right. yet TJ is gonna be an alternate @ 1st and if the 3 main guys in our D-Line stay healthy. He could not even ever have a start.

5. cred

cred Rookie

Would not suprise me one bit!

6. brickmantexanfan

brickmantexanfan Veteran

I agree with that observation,don't get me wrong walker is big and tough but we didn't draft tj in the first round to put him on the bench. :brickwall

7. Big B Texan Fan

I tcould happen one day but not the begimming of the season, especially if he's healthy.
    I'm one of the ones who is Not a G-Funk fan but Dom treats his Pro-Bowlers different.
    This is the year that we need the vets to stand up and rock.

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

If everyone is healthy, Robaire Smith is our least impressive stating lineman, not Gary Walker.

9. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Thats funny, who did you "hear" this from?

10. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Here's a good explanationn of Greenwood's skills from a Dolphin fan:

11. throwANDREtheBALL

throwANDREtheBALL Veteran

That's good news.

Double digit tackles in the games he played middle linebacker.

Maybe he will make more of an impact in the middle, then most critics think.

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think the big thing that turned Capers head was the intellegence that Greenwood plays with. That is two smart MLB that can both cover. Nice.

13. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

I don't agree at all. We drafted TJ in the first round for rotational purposes and a POSSIBLE future replacement for Gary Walker. I think the only way that TJ takes Gary's job is because of injury. I have high hopes for TJ, but I also remember how effective an injury free Gary Walker can be. Therefore my fingers are crossed for a healthy Gary Walker.

14. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I liked the moves we made in the offseason. With the exception of our D-line, we have a team that can stay together for a few years. If things fall the way I think they will, I think we trade up next year to draft an OLT then take a TE with another first day pick.

15. cred

cred Rookie

I know we are a 3-4 D, but sometimes I wish we would mix it up a little and use a 4-3 D to throw off the opposing offense with a little confusion every once in a while, maybe when in the nickle and dime packages. Like maybe 10% of the time and with the rotation at the D-line that we have now I think we could do this and maybe throw in some different blitzes as well.

What do any of you other fans think about this?
    Just a curiosity.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Hey Vinny, question. Do you think that's going to change this season or that it's something that can change? Last year was Robaire's first with us and I'm curious to know what you think about improvement from him. Will a year in our defense and say, a healthy Seth Payne and Gary Walker (fingers crossed) translate into more performance from Smith?

17. AndreJ

AndreJ All Pro

I'm not sure if we could pull it off with the 4-3, DE's who would we put there Smith and Payne in the middle, but Peek and Babin as ends (i think not) we would still need two OLB's and.....i dunno, im not against mixing up the D i think its a good idea and it would keep the offense guessing, but im not sure we have the personel for it...if its not too much trouble would you mind posting what your front 7 would be for a Texans 4-3 D?

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

That is effectively what the Texans did in a lot of passing situations last year. 2 DLmen acted as the DT's and Babin and Peek acted as the DE's, just without their hands on the ground.

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

His play improved as the season wore on but he never really needed a double team on a consistent basis. I don't expect him to be much of a pass rusher but his play against the run was disappointing for a guy who came in here as a top lineman. I think he can play better. If everyone is healthy I like our line rotation guys better than last year. Walker, Payne, Smith, Deloach and TJ will play the most, with Sears and Ioane fighting over the 6th spot. Walker will have to prove he is over his turf toe and other nagging injuries, but hopefully we see him play with his old speed and intensity in the pre-season games.

20. stephen1

stephen1 Veteran

i think robaire smith is better than gary walker, but gary is better than tj so he will be a backup