The Texans could be preparing for a Paper Tiger

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Dec 13, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Some semblance of fear for your opponent is always healthy. But here are some very interesting stats I came across in Colts. com forum. which I felt would be worthwhile sharing:

Señor Stan likes this.
  2. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

If those OT games we were in go the other way (which does not require much imagination), we are tied with them for the AFC South division lead ? Is there really that much difference between them and us ? I don't know, but I just wonder ?

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I've been guilty of this myself. Using stats to make my argument. However, this (I think) shows us how that isn't always valid. 18 TDs vs 14 does not equal a +7 win differential.

It depends on the situation. In a one score game, Luck is more dangerous than Painter, Orlovsky, & Collins. We need to make sure we are not in a one score game with these guys.

Their -16 TO compared to our +12 tells me they make more mistakes than we do. But it could also mean they take more chances. That could spell trouble for us, if we're not playing good football like we haven't been for the last 6 or 7 weeks on the back end.

It's not that I think there is nothing to worry about, or that I think it is impossible for us to lose this game. Just like every other game, you ain't won it until you won it.

I can think of several reasons the Colts should win, but I can think of even more reasons we should.

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Yeah that's a big difference. It's the same difference between the Patriots & us.

It's not about passing yards, sacks, ypc against. It's about doing what it takes to win. The Colts are as talented as any team in the league, so are the Raiders, the Cheifs, & the Jags.

Being able to pull it all together & get Ws is the difference between winning & losing in the NFL. That's what separates them from us & us and the Patriots.

You can take away that Forsett TD in the Lions game, nothing's to say we wouldn't score anyway. It's not like the Lions were stopping us. We were (most likely) going to do what it took to win regardless.

The Patriots just put it on us & we weren't going to win that game. We could have got all the PI & OPI calls go our way & they would have done something else to still win.

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

2 things Fiddler: (1) how did you rate the Texans chances in Foxboro BEFORE the game Monday night, and (2) you need to change your handle to "The Joker".

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Before the game I thought the Patriots were the better team & it would take a methodically efficient offense to keep Brady off the field to win. Limit their offensive possessions & force a stop on a few of them.

But when our offense got shut out for the two & a half qtrs, I realize we are not in that league. That's the difference I'm talking about.

Watch a Colts game, not just the highlights or the final 2 minutes of a game. That team makes mistake after mistake that puts them in holes early. They'd have to play their best game of the season & we'd have to play our worse for them to win this game.

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

And don't think for a second that that can't happen.

Personally, I think we crush the Colts this coming Sunday and win our last three games and end up 14-2 for the season. But I know for a fact that the "any given Sunday" rule applies to both good and bad performances by any team.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I know. No doubt it can happen. We'd have to play as bad or worse than we played last night on both sides of the ball.

9. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

FWIW I would only add that the Colts are comparable to Jacksonville and Detroit, and they both took us into OT.

10. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    The Texans could be a Paper Tiger.

Actually, as long as this game is during the day and not on national tv, the Colts have no chance.

thunderkyss likes this.
  11. GP

GP Go Texans!

I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question; that you already know the answer to it.

12. GP

GP Go Texans!

Absolutely. Get these guys playing at noon, they act like there's no game they can lose. Even if they have to scramble all day long, claw their way back into the game, they get day games handled.

At night, against quality opponents? They are scared of the dark all of a sudden. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen.

I want LESS night games. In the dome at New Orleans, for the Super Bowl, the sky is blocked out. They might be able to to handle that one. But under the starry skies, at night, they are ****ty behind belief.

I suppose that's the effect of having played inside a bubble and not outside very much. They're like Ricky Bobby when he didn't know what to do with his hands.

[​IMG]

13. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

“All reactionaries are paper tigers.”
    ~ Mao Tse-Tung

:thinking:

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

No. The Jags & Detroit are better teams than the Colts. Doesn't matter who won head to head, the Colts are not as good as the Jags & Detroit.

The Lions have way more talent on both sides of the ball, it's not even close. The Jags may not be as talented, but they don't make the same mistakes.

The Lions & the Jags may have taken us to overtime & the Colts may as well, but there was no doubt in my mind that we are the better team. Going to overtime has nothing to do with that.

We aren't playing our best football right now & because of that they Colts have a chance. No other team but the Pats & the Packers have been able to stop our offense. The Colts aren't in that class.

Indy's offense is closer to the Titans than the Lions or Jags, we feasted on the Titans, we'll feast on the Colts.

15. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Detroit: 4-9
    Jags :2-11
    Indy : 9-4
    Of all the memorable quotes Bill Parcells has delivered, it's one of the most repeated:

"You are what your record says you are."
    http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-...es-you-are-what-your-record-says-you-are.html

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

17. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

18. Rey

Rey Guest

So are we going by records or not?

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm saying not. That was his argument. I provide our record to support your opinion, we're not as good as our record.

With that in mind, I'm saying the Colts aren't as good as their record. The Colts is not a better team than the Lions or the Jags & using their record is not evidence to the contrary.

20. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

The Lions probably do have a better team on paper than the Colts. I don't see any reasoning though how the Jags are better than the Colts. The Colts have one of the top offenses in the league, right behind Houston, and while their defense isn't very good it's still superior to the Jags who have the 31st worst defense. How are the Jags NOT as good as their record?