The Texans’ Unsung Defender - Glover Quin

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by pec0sb0b, Jul 3, 2012.

1. pec0sb0b

pec0sb0b on the lam

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=5739

Good article with lots of cool still shots of Phillips' defense.

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I'm cool with Glover Quin... THE ONLY thing that bugs me about him is that his facemask looks too small or too short for his head... If that's the worst criticism that I have, then that's pretty good, no?? :tiphat:

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Semi-grand Poobah Staff Member

Not disagreeing with Quin's performance but I disagree with his playing multiple roles upping his contract value in the open market. Most DC's don't multi-task players like Quin effectively.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Love Quin but don't see offering him much to remain. I expect a draft pick to replace him.

5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I also love Quinn. But my hear finds its way closer to my tonsils when he has to cover his man going deep.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Robert Lester 2nd round

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I like Glover Quin. He's been a solid, but not spectacular, defender. But, he's not a playmaker. All of his 3 career ints came off Rusty Smith. Who's Rusty Smith? Exactly.

Quin's not the type of player who generates a lot of free agent interest. That could change with the Texans gaining more exposure and Glover making more plays. But, being able to lineup in different spots on the field doesn't automatically make a player special. Making plays makes a player special.

8. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Hasnt the safety spot traditionally been a revolving door on most of wade's defenses? I'd like to see more players on the backend who make "game changing plays".

9. jppaul

jppaul Cut and Dry

Maybe I am in the minority but for my money he's a glue player and does the unheralded jobs really well allowing the more attention grabbing positions players to shine. I would have thought there might be a little more support given this teams history with awful safeties. Finally I think this position is a keystone for smiths defense given the stress he puts on the secondary. Just my two cents. I think he merits a od type deal say 5 years 16-18 mil.

10. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Don't underestimate his flexibility. I think that flexibility puts a couple of extra options in Wade's trick bag.
    :texflag:

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I certainly wouldn't put Quin on level of Daniels, and it's not what type of contract he "merits". It's what he can get on the market. I don't see a big market for a safety that doesn't come up with turnovers. When you look at the guys the Texans must re-sign (Brown, Barwin, Schaub, and eventually Cushing), guys like Quin are going to have to settle for the scraps.

12. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    No, not Daniels like at all. I'd say he's more Joel Dressen if we want to connect that dot.
    I'm for Quin though. I was also for Dequan Menzie from 'Bama in the draft because he's a Quin clone. Alright I only have one more comparison: Shane Battier.

Looking at int's alone is a poor way to judge a DB. Quin nails his responsibilities, the only receiver that beat him deep that I can remember is AJ Green. How many DBs are keeping up with him? Yeah, he single handedly destroyed Rusty Who Smith's career but I think last year he was adjusting to playing with 2 superstars in the backfield and a front 7 that was going off. He's not the best DB on the field anymore. No, he doesn't have game breaking ability but what he does have is worth keeping around. Smarts, flexibility, tackling, experience and success with the system, good work ethic, his teammates trust.

13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

In a non-salary cap world Quin is no brainer to keep. he does his job at basic level and flexible in the skills that he displays, but is not a playmaker. In terms of safeties, right now that position is probably the most poorly played in the NFL. there are only a few game changers, and really most teams don't have two good, solid ones. Notice that 3rd Cbs pretty much are drafted in the same areas as safeties and have as much demand on the free agent market.

Quin is a solid to good player and all it takes is for someone to go give him decent say biscuit Breisel money as a free agent for him not to be a Texan.

14. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

Quin was second in tackles on the Texan's.

A safety being second usually means your defense sucks. On the second ranked defense it means Quin is making plays.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I love Quin.

I think he's very underestimated, & his flexibility will make it difficult for offenses to read. Is he a LB, Safety, a nickel corner?

He might not be an INT generator.

I also think he'll eventually be the leader of the defense.

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Jimmy Graham smoked Quin on a up route when Glover had him in man coverage. But, Graham had his way with a lot of DBs last year.

[​IMG]

17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Does Glover Quin have a nickname? He plays like a pitbull, tenacious D!

18. CloakNNNdagger

"Q-tip"

19. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

so no G.Q. huh?

20. CloakNNNdagger

He was given the nickname "Q-tip" by the press after the Hail Mary play.