Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Sideline View/Zierlein/Harris on 2014 Draft

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
RANKING THE TOP THREE QBS IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
TOUGHNESS AND POISE

Growing up and coming out of the Liberty City neighborhood in Miami is your first clue to Bridgewater’s toughness. Bridgewater didn’t miss any games due to injury during his three years as QB at Louisville and continued to play through a broken wrist in 2012 against UConn. With a bad ankle and a cast on that same broken wrist, Bridgewater beat Rutgers in his next game to earn a conference championship and BCS bowl bid against Florida whom he beat with a cast on his left wrist.

Like Manziel, Bridgewater was blitzed on 29% of his throws, but the results were much better...

ACCURACY (INCLUDING ON THE MOVE)

Up to this point, there really seems to be no reason to doubt Teddy Bridgewater’s accuracy as he moves to the next level. For the most part, that perception is correct...

MAKES NFL THROWS

Teddy Bridgewater can make all of the throws on paper, but when I watch him, I can’t help but think that he’ll have some issues with ball-hawking defenders if he wants to test the boundaries with his intermediate throws. Keep in mind that for all of Bridgewater’s accuracy with short and intermediate routes, he’s going to see much more varied coverages from NFL secondaries which means he has to be comfortable throwing to all areas of the field and that appears to be a concerns.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://www.thesidelineview.com/sites/default/files/bridgewater.png[/IMG]

Bridgewater is very capable with is play-action bootleg throws as long as he’s moving right and that is one of my problems with him. While I really like Teddy’s toughness, poise and accuracy, I’m worried defensive coordinators will rush him from his right and force him left and that is an issue. Bridgewater was just 7 of 17 for 55 yards and no TDs when moving to his left via rollout or scrambling. When scrambling or rolling right, he was 20 of 30 for 266 yards and 2 TDs.

Moreover, Bridgewater had just 1 TD to go with 1 INT on 60 pass attempts to the left from 6-15 yards. When making intermediate throws to the right, he had 4 TDs to 0 INTs on 63 attempts. The same issues left and right are found with his deep ball where he completed 33% of his passes 16+ yards to the left while completing 51.2% of deep balls to the right. Bridgewater hit some home runs deep which is to be expected on the college level, but he completed just 44.3% of his deep balls compared to 51.9% for Manziel and 49.2% for Bortles who both show better NFL-caliber touch on those throws when you watch them.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://www.thesidelineview.com/sites/default/files/teddy-bridgewater-launch-analysis.jpg[/IMG]

MOBILITY

When you watch Teddy Bridgewater operate around and even outside of the pocket, you can see he not only has the ability to escape pressure, but to also damage defenses with his legs. However, Bridgewater simply doesn’t utilize those legs as often as I think he should...

FINAL ANALYSIS

The tape shows that Teddy Bridgewater has an NFL understanding of progressions and the type of poise and decision-making that should allow him to avoid being a...
read complete analysis: http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/ranking-top-three-qbs-2014-nfl-draft-teddy-bridgewater

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
RANKING THE TOP THREE QBS IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
MAKES NFL THROWS

Teddy Bridgewater can make all of the throws on paper, but when I watch him, I can’t help but think that he’ll have some issues with ball-hawking defenders if he wants to test the boundaries with his intermediate throws. Keep in mind that for all of Bridgewater’s accuracy with short and intermediate routes, he’s going to see much more varied coverages from NFL secondaries which means he has to be comfortable throwing to all areas of the field and that appears to be a concerns.
read complete analysis: http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/ranking-top-three-qbs-2014-nfl-draft-teddy-bridgewater
I'm thinking the same thing. Especially the short/intermediate out routes. I don't know that it's an arm strength issue, I've seen him fling it, I've seen him put zip on it. But for some reason, throwing it out past the hash marks I don't believe he consistently puts the zip on the ball that is needed. Savy defenders will be looking for that ball & they're going to jump those routes whenever they can.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
But but all Manziel does is run around and chuck it up. :kitten:
I thought that's what they said...

FINAL ANALYSIS
The tape shows that Manziel has the ability to make throws against Cover-2 defenses and down the sideline on vertical routes. His touch on those deep throws is undeniable. However, the tape and the data also show that Manziel tends to get careless...
:D

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
RANKING THE TOP THREE QBS IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: BLAKE BORTLES
TOUGHNESS AND POISE

Blake Bortles has very good size by NFL standards (6’5/232) and he more than plays to his size from a toughness standpoint. Bortles has played in every game over the last two seasons and is a physical runner on called running plays or when he scrambles.

Defenses tended to blitz Bortles at a higher frequency of pass attempts (31.9%) than they did against Johnny Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater (29%). His completion percentage when blitzed was 64.8% which was higher than Manziel but lower than Bridgewater. Bortles’ 9.1 YPA, 7 TDs and 2 INTs when blitzed is good, but I found something more impressive...

ACCURACY (INCLUDING ON THE MOVE)

The tape tells you that Blake Bortles is behind Manziel and Bridgewater at this current time as a QB prospect and the data tends to confirm this - especially when studying his short to intermediate accuracy...

MAKES NFL THROWS

With Bortles, you have to do some projecting when watching the tape and grinding on data. Bortles has enough arm to throw the deep digs and outs and I see enough zip on his passes between the CB and S, but right now he has a tendency to sail some of those passes and his accuracy is still a work in progress on some of those throws.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://thesidelineview.com/sites/default/files/bortles.png[/IMG]

Despite the fact that less than 10% of his snaps came under center, Bortles is really strong at throwing the ball on...

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://thesidelineview.com/sites/default/files/bortles-chart.jpg[/IMG]

MOBILITY

To be honest, I was surprised at Blake Bortles relatively pedestrian...

FINAL ANALYSIS

Blake Bortles isn’t ready to be an NFL QB just yet and could have definitely benefitted from another year at UCF. However, when I watch him play, I see a QB who has areas that are “improvable”. While Manziel and Bridgewater can get better at certain aspects, I don’t see as much growth potential in their games as I see in Bortles’ game. Then again, that also means...

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Offensive Line Grades - 2014 NFL Draft
Welcome To My "2014 Offensive Line Draft Primer"
Lance Zierlein

I've created formulas for tackles, centers and guards that take into account their power in the run blocking game, foot quickness, ability in pass protection, hand strength and how they sustain their blocks, body control, core strength and tenacity. As you will notice, I have included both tackle and guard ratings for some players and I've included a grade for players who may fit into the zone scheme as well.

My grades, as always are a combination of how I see a player now and how I see a player fitting into the NFL. For example, with Greg Robinson, I am projecting the player I believe he will become as he continues to learn the fundamentals of pass protection technique after playing for a run-heavy offense.

These grades are my own and I they do not necessarily reflect where I think a player will or should be drafted. As with any draft year, I grade the player with no regard to the draft class and only on his merits as an offensive linemen. Then, based on how the board shapes up, I would then fit them into the right spots. For example, I have a high 2nd round grade on Joel Bitonio, but I would probably draft him higher than that because he has position flexibility and I also believe that he is a safe player...

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
The Silent Majority - The Quieter Beasts Of The 2014 NFL Draft
By John Harris
Tajh Boyd...
Boston College RB Andre Williams

Wisconsin James White
Wisconsin…WR Jared Abbrederis
Wake Forest WR Michael Campanaro

Georgia TE Arthur Lynch
U Mass TE Rob Blanchflower

Missouri OT Justin Britt
Furman T/G prospect Dakota Dozier
BC tackle Matt Patchan

Syracuse DT Jay Bromley

Oregon DE/DT Taylor Hart
Alabama DT Jeoffrey Pagan

Stanford ILB Shayne Skov
Virginia Tech ILB Jack Tyler

Utah OLB Trevor Reilly
Baylor CB Demetri Goodson
Oregon S Terrance Mitchell

mussop

Hall of Fame
Tajh Boyd...

Wisconsin James White

Georgia TE Arthur Lynch

Missouri OT Justin Britt
BC tackle Matt Patchan

Syracuse DT Jay Bromley

Oregon DE/DT Taylor Hart

Stanford ILB Shayne Skov

Utah OLB Trevor Reilly

I really like all the guys In bold. I seem to be the only guy around here that really likes Andre Williams. Jared abbrederis gets no love around here but is really really good.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tajh Boyd...

Wisconsin James White

Georgia TE Arthur Lynch

Missouri OT Justin Britt
BC tackle Matt Patchan

Syracuse DT Jay Bromley

Oregon DE/DT Taylor Hart

Stanford ILB Shayne Skov

Utah OLB Trevor Reilly

I really like all the guys In bold. I seem to be the only guy around here that really likes Andre Williams. Jared abbrederis gets no love around here but is really really good.
Abbederius will be a better WR than Benjamin. IMHO He runs in the high 4.4's and can cut on a dime. If you like Welker/Decker/Cruz/Garcon you should also be very high on Abberderius.

I also like Williams but don't think he's a good fit for the Texans.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I really like all the guys In bold. I seem to be the only guy around here that really likes Andre Williams.
Uh... we seem to be the only guys around here that really likes Andre Williams. He's a "must have" to me, meaning we need to find a way to get him. We need to find out what the chatter is about him, where other teams are looking to take him & develop a plan to make sure we leave the draft with him.

Love the yards after contact. If we're trying to "toughen up" this team, a guy like that will go a long way.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Abbederius will be a better WR than Benjamin. IMHO He runs in the high 4.4's and can cut on a dime. If you like Welker/Decker/Cruz/Garcon you should also be very high on Abberderius.

I also like Williams but don't think he's a good fit for the Texans.
That's exactly where I want him. In the slot. IMO he would be a perfect fit there in this offense.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Uh... we seem to be the only guys around here that really likes Andre Williams. He's a "must have" to me, meaning we need to find a way to get him. We need to find out what the chatter is about him, where other teams are looking to take him & develop a plan to make sure we leave the draft with him.

Love the yards after contact. If we're trying to "toughen up" this team, a guy like that will go a long way.
Yep let him be our Frank Gore or Marshawn Lynch. He is the perfect kind of back to put behind a young QB. He gets the tough yards, he blocks really well, runs with good vision, breaks tackles, what's not to like? Other than not being a big receiving threat, but neither is Gore or Lynch and I would say they have made life on their QB's a lot easier.