The secondary

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Has anyone noticed that NOT ONE defensive back was taken by the Texans in the draft?

Not only that, not a single UDFA defensive back has been signed.*

Wade Phillips must be feeling real good about his secondary not to even merit a UDFA signing at this point. My guess is they a good feeling about the progress that Kareem Jackson is making at corner, and Quin at safety. They also must be excited about Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael.

But I'm also thinking it could be Phillips not worrying too much about the secondary play given the way he's assembling the front 7, which is downright scary, IMO.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Damn! I didn't notice the safeties signed. Doubt they make the roster though.

2. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

My thought is

:wadepalm:

yep that about sums it up !

3. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

Based on last year alone, I feel extremely comfortable with Jonathan Joseph as the first corner, Brice McCain as the slot corner, and Manning/Quin at the safety spots.

Kareem is manageable at the second corner spot.

Harris should find some playing time this year backing up McCain as the nickle corner and as a 4th corner. I don't think he'll be able to play outside corner - though I'd be extremely happy to be proven wrong - and I'm thinking Wade was hoping to groom him as the future nickle corner but was pleasantly surprised by McCain's performance last season.

With that said, just on lack of experience, it's going to be really nerve-wracking if one of Joseph/Kareem/McCain go down and one of your young guns have to be thrown into the fire.

4. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

We're banking on Harris/Carmichael to take over Allen's duties.

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Don't forget McManis...

I'm sure they make look at some vets to compete in camp.. But, since 5 of their 6 CBs on the roster are young, developing players who have shown improvement and/or ability, drafting more of the same made little sense to them, I would think.

buddyboy likes this.
  6. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

I agree with this...... I wanted Bentley when he was available, but I can't fault them for going the route they did. I expect some pretty decent names to become available after June 1st and we can bring in one of those guys to come in and compete.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Why not? He hasn't done a thing in the 2 years he's been here. I'm hoping Harris and Carmichael have some miraculous transformation into NFL CBs this offseason. I see no reason to hold out hope for McManis. He's a Smith/Bush/Gibbs pick, anyway.

8. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I would think so too. Neither Harris or Carmichael saw much of the field in 2011 but were both high draft picks from last year (2nd and 4th rounders, respectively).

9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

See my recent post on Eddie Pleasant (signed) in the "undrafted" thread.

10. texanchris

texanchris Veteran

I think we will be fine in the secondary this year. Harris and Carmicheal are more than capable of taking over Allens spot. Jackson has been playing better and the rest of the secondary is solid. I am more worried about the nose tackle position because i have a feeling that Cody and Mitchell will take a huge step back this year.

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Have the Texans actually released the UDFA signings? I don't think so. So there may still be CBs signed as UDFAs. The Texans currently have 6 CBs under contract and I'm certain they will go into camp with more than that. Where they will come from? TBD. But, there's certainly going to be more CBs on the roster by the end of July.

12. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

Cody has been nothing if not consistent during his tenure here, I don't know why you feel like he'll take a step back.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Thats because the talking heads want a 330lb guy to play the nose and dont understand that Wades defense doesnt rely on a big fat tree stump but guy's penetrating gaps.

And you arespot on , Cody has probably been the most consistent DL on the roster over his time in a Texan uniform. He makes plays from sideline to sideline ....

As for the thread topic , I would have liked to have seen a CB drafted at some point but with the guy's they have that didnt play last season , I think they can fill the void left in the wake of Allen.

14. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

we didn't need to draft one.

quin, manning, nolan, demps are solid safeties.
    joseph, kareem, brice, harris, mcmanis, and carmichael.

we were going to give kareem one more year to prove himself, and i think he played solid the later in the season, still has a problem being a playmaker/look for the ball at the right time. rest are solid. keo to ps imo, so he wont be on the 53 man roster.

15. Fili

Fili All Pro

I was surprised when I found out we haven't signed a CB yet. Then I look at the depth and we still got Harris and the others.

16. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I have some hope for Harris since he saw a little bit of playing time last season. Carmichael was injured the entire season, so who know if he'll be used to the speed of the NFL without playing a snap. Hope so though. The more depth we have in the secondary the better.

17. pec0sb0b

pec0sb0b on the lam

Dallas was seeking trade offers for Mike Jenkins...I should think that Phillips would be interested in him just as he was in James Bradie. Give 'em Jacoby Jones and kill two birds with one stone. Jenkin's base salary for 2012 is only one million.

18. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Right. But 2012 is also the last year on Jenkins rookie contract. Basically, you would be renting him. And no, Jerry won't be taking Jacoby in return.

19. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Given the amount of draft picks (8) and high dollar free agents (2), we have spent over the last three years, it was time for the area to get ignored. We have made the investment in that area those dudes need to play and play well, which they did as an overall group in 2011.

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I'm usually pretty big on the secondary, but I'm OK with things as they stand. We're kind of waiting to see what we've really got with a lot of young players and we've got J. Joseph and D. Manning to ensure things aren't going to fall apart. We can only afford to keep so many players on one part of the team at a time, so we're focused on other things. I just hope K.J. keeps improving.