The Secondary

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by welsh texan, Oct 1, 2018.

1. welsh texan

welsh texan Site Contributor

I can't help thinking back to this thread and the turnaround we have seen as this radically new group have adapted to one another.

Even Shareece Wright is holding his own most of the time.

I actually think that Mathieu busted play at the start of the game yesterday hugely sums up this D unit now. He's going to gamble and move on what he sees and it will stand out when that is a mistake because he, and the rest of this unit, are getting it right more times than not.

There will still be need for reinvestment through the draft. JJo is getting on and I doubt some of the dollar amounts needed to keep Mathieu, K Jack and Reed around will mesh too well with when DW4 comes up for resigning so they need to get ahead of the curve there.

2. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Will be interesting to see how they handle the secondary in the offseason. Do they re-sign both K Jax and Mathieu for premium money? Does K Jax get CB money or S? How much draft capital does the team invest in the secondary this offseason?

The CB position is the weakest on the defense but elite pass rush and safety play covers up this weakness a bit.

Rich Schmidt likes this.
  3. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

Agree, this will be where we need some good decisions. I actually think it is easy to under appreciate good safety play. I think we should invest in Kareem, Mathieu, and keep Hal / Reid and we are very flexible and have a mix of high cost and cheap guys. Colvin has not earned the bucks yet. Good pass rush and safety play help the CB a ton. Keep drafting every year too, but OL has to be a prioirty

4. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Colvin is not looking like a good acquisition at all by Gaine. Hopefully he can shake the injury bug and get back to being somewhat above average. Luckily we are getting a career year from Kjax in his walk season, while its awesome, it does make me think about continued consistency once the ink on the contract dries. Our safety crew is actually great. Reid will be a future all pro. Honey Badger is Honey Badger, I didnt really like the whole 'let me freestyle' bit he was on last week and then he promptly gets melba toasted early in the Titans game. Keep him in a controlled state. Andre Hal is also a good safety and can only keep crossing fingers the cancer doesnt return and he can continue to progress.

CB is a definite are of need. If a better CB is available than a LT prospect at the time the Texans select then you have to go CB. Trade up for a LT, or sit still and take the best CB/RB/LT available, but take best player available.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Rookie

I hope we bring the band back together next year by re-signing Mathieu and KJax. A rotation of Mathieu, Jackson and Reid at safety is elite. CB is another story all together. KJ is gone. JJo is back as a mentor but his days as the starter are done after this season. Colvin will be better I believe. I would definitely bring in both a free agent (Darqueze Dennard or Bashaud Breeland) and a draft pick (Bryce Hall, Michael Jackson or Kris Boyd). Given our front 7, I think that would be more than enough in the secondary to keep the defense nasty.

6. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

Kareem Jackson will be back. His versatility and the depth he adds to the team will make the Texans offer him a quality contract. His age will prevent him from getting a break the bank CB offer from anyone else.

welsh texan and OptimisticTexan like this.