The Secondary

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by welsh texan, Oct 1, 2018.

1. welsh texan

welsh texan Site Contributor

The Secondary is a mess.

JoJo, in an ideal world, would have retired rather than got extended. He looks totally over the hill at this point. Been a great servant to the club though so don't want to be too hard on him. Just the years catching up.

Then we have guys wearing 40 numbers who I've barely even heard of stinking it up across from him.

These guys are underpinned by a front 7 that is causing havoc in the backfield and 3 good safeties who are maybe playing a tad too aggressive to cover for this deficiency.

As a group they haven't looked good with Colvin, let alone now it looks likely he will miss time.

Kareem needs to move back down to CB as a matter of urgency. Leaving Reed to play alongside Mathieu full time.

Not that I think that will be a huge transformation but you can't have your 3rd best DB riding the pine here.

2. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Joseph is under performing and his wheels are going quickly, I can't argue that. He's been slow to adjust to and coordinate with the players who play with him for several years, which is a mixed bag of coaching (Vance was exceptional) and being forced to play with new/bad talent every year. Yesterday Colvin couldn't tell his head from his ass and Joseph was credited with fails on the play. Doesn't excuse Joseph's bad plays, but likewise he shouldn't be faulted for the failure of others.

I 100% absolutely agree about Kareem and have said it since the idea was even brought up. If we get into a position where we're stronger at corner than safety, sure it'd be great to have Kareem roaming and tackling. We're not, and we're not even close. Instead of playing tighter coverage, we've got our second best corner in left field.

Texansballer74 likes this.
  3. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Colvin has looked worse than JJo.

NastyNate and badboy like this.
  4. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

If Colvin was paying attention he had an easy PBU or INT on that 2 point conversion. The receiver was right next to him and he didn't even glance at him

kiwitexansfan likes this.
  5. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

While I agree Kareem may be the second best corner right now merely due to the position being lackluster as can be, I doubt it'll change much. Reality the defensive scheme is going to allow us to get nickel and dimed up and down the field until they change that approach. We do not have the secondary that can cover anyone for any sort of extended period of time. If the pressure isn't on or if the QB has any sort of mobility, we're screwed.

So while Kareem going to corner may improve it a bit I think we've also all seen enough of him at that job to know he won't be improving it that much either. They need to press receivers more (something Kareem is actually good at) and change their coverage more. They don't disguise what they are doing very well and don't mix it up. In an ideal world you can rush four and be fine but when you have a QB who can move in the pocket like Luck...or well all the QB's in our entire division...you need to bring more than that especially with this secondary.

Heck, might as well blitz some more linebackers anyway since they can't seem to cover either. Brian Peters still remains the best covering linebacker but unfortunately that's about the limit of his skillset compared to the others.

6. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

I feel they will rush Kayvon Webster back this week

7. gs27

gs27 All Pro

Individually the performance was bad enough but I think a lot needs to put on the coaches. Why were all the off the LOS players so confused every snap? Seemed like McKinney and Mathieu were lost on every play, much less able to direct others on their assignments. Many times I noticed McKinney still looking over to the sideline for directions when the ball was snapped. Not sure if it is Crennel, his assistants, or McKinney and Mathieu but something sure needs to change. That was the most unprepared monkey ******* a football display as I have ever seen.

MightyTExan and Texansballer74 like this.
  8. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

They need to move Joseph to safety and KJax to corner. Whenever Colvin comes back healthy, only play him in the nickel.

Man I was way off on my prediction. This secondary is terrible.

And the injuries to key linemen on the front 7 isn't making it any better.

Crazy how both Watt and Clowney were gassed from the end of the third to OT. Whitney M needs to wake the bleep up out there and play some ball.

steelbtexan likes this.
  9. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

Actually the secondary is not terrible - the corners are. Our safeties are doing a pretty good job. We are in trouble on those quick outs or double moves up the sideline - anytime when no safety can be in the area. The other teams have identified this and every QB had a pretty good game against us. Either go after Cunningham or those outside corners.

10. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

It hasn’t even been the secondary really, it’s been our middle lb core. Any of those guys out in coverage whether it be zone man or combo...they’re a mismatch in favor of the offense for whomever they decide to get them matched up against.

Colvin hasn’t been bad, he’s just in a position at the nickel that depends on inside help coverage from the Lb’s when they go zone. And again our mlbs suck in coverage.

It’s pretty telling that Last year he had that inside help from 2 of the very best coverage lb’s in the game with Smith and Jack in Jax and he did well. It’s also not a coincidence that the 2 guys they’ve replaced him with in former Coog and 1st round bust DJ Hayden and Tyler Patmon have all of sudden looked good; or at least comparable. Both of those guys had played for 2 teams each before landing in Jax so it’s not like they were AJ Bouye’s in the making...they’re journeyman.

vupac1 likes this.

11. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

@PFF_Texans: #Texans rookie Justin Reid is playing well so far this season.

-His tackling grade of 90.0 ranks 3rd among qualifying safeties
    -Reid is one of five safeties to record 10+ tackles without missing one
    -When targeted, he's allowed 0 catches on 3 targets for a passer rating of 39.6 https://t.co/7p45AoecE5

Scooter likes this.
  12. BOBdaFRAUD

BOBdaFRAUD Rookie

Kevin J not working out put us in a bad spot. From one CB away when Jjo retires to a world of hurt.

Hey maybe Kevin can get back to it. Coaches needs to built his confidence and let the guy play on his own terms. See what we get.

I instead of endless modification to his weight. Guy was not flowing out there, every thing was forced.........

Maybe he was just not good? Who knows.

13. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Well good thing the FO fixed the oline this year. Next year we fix the secondary

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I said this before the season started … they are as questionable as the OL.

These are the two position groups on the team holding them back from being contenders.

steelbtexan and texanhead08 like this.
  15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Just my thoughts, Joseph received arm injury versus Colts but will play vs Dallas as that is what he does. He plays--since 2011 he has missed only 7 games. He had a very good season 2017. Has he lost a step? Maybe but his contract was listed as one of the best
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pffs-best-contracts-cbs

Our front 7 finally came to play and they were/are supposed to allow team to have the DBs we do. If they (at least Reader, CLowney and Watt so far) play as they are supposed to Joseph will be better also.

Wright made some bad plays but had a couple nice ones. He's played only three games and started one only because of K. Johnson's injury. He was signed Sept 12th so...I'm willing to give a bit longer.ames if not rest of season.

I'm not happy with Colvin but still new to team and looks like gonna miss a few. I think plan is for Kavon Webster to work way up and return to 2017 season. We will see. Regardless, we need to select corners in draft and perhaps FA this off season.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Joseph playing with new Colvin, Sharice Wright & Webster. IIRC Bademosi has played some at corner. While KJ is still on field he is playing different position. Let's see how Joseph does as Clowney and Watt continue. Agree on bolded. Hard for me to want to move KJ back to corner but think it will probably happen.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yeah most criticism is on Oline and O'Brien but Crennel and defense slow coming together perhaps because of new additions. I expect we are going to need a lot more progress Sunday.

steelbtexan likes this.
  18. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

On the bright side the Cowboys WR's aren't very good, but neither were the Colts and they torched us all day long. I hope Dak's lack of accuracy keeps them from killing us through the air.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    steelbtexan likes this.
  19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'm expecting some INTs. Crennel should have his side of ball ready to go and make this a turn around game. Clowney and Watt's performance should pump up the other guys. I imagine JJ 'talked' to the D all this week.

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Just in case, I’m going to take a peek at how well Greedy Williams does this Saturday against Florida. Hate to spend another 1st on a corner (3 so far) but maybe needed to address position with blue chip.

steelbtexan likes this.