The Secondary

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by djohn2oo8, Sep 16, 2013.

1. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 All Pro

What do you expect to see from them once we go against the elite QBs? Mccain being the weak spot and all.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

When you say elite, do you mean Brady & Peyton?

Or are you talking about these 1st & 2nd year players people are calling elite now; Luck, Wilson, & Kaepernick?

Seattle showed us how to beat Kaepernick, Wilson didn't look elite last week, & Tannerhill just outplayed Luck.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

We need it to get better fast.

4. bash

bash Rookie

I wish we'd try Bouye over Mccain, I feel at this point im open to anything except back to back touchdowns by Wes Welker, Eddie Royal, Amendola, or Lance Moore. Id much rather have KJ and rusty Jjo fighting for the ball with back up from reed/swearinger/keo/manning/pleasant

5. Rey

Rey Guest

I wouldn't take much away from those games. Both of those teams' defenses face similar type of QB's with similar type of plays in practice. Both those defenses have faced mobile QB's that can throw and run the read option with good rb's to give it to.

Plus I think both those teams are really good anyways. So while two beasts may not look like much head to head, match them up with a weaker opponent and its slaughter time.

Make no mistake about it. Texans are likely going to need their A games if we get those teams not shooting themselves in the foot.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

I want to see Brandon Harris. He's more physical than McCain and I think if they actually let him play he could take some lumps and develop into a much better player than Brice.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I was thinking the same thing. Harris would have whupped Eddie Royal & Kendall Wright into submission.

It's funny.... I can't name the Chargers or Titans 1 & 2 receiver, but I damn sure know their slot guy.

8. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Kareem Jackson had a very good game, was excellent in run support. The rest of the secondary was horrible.

9. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Its beyond strange how Kareem is now our shutdown corner and teams throw at Jonathan Joseph like he is Kareem circa 2010.

10. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Um, I hate to be the Kareem basher here, but he gave up an entire TD drive practically by himself. The rest of the game was fine, but I don't really believe he outplayed J-Jo. On the drive where he got called for the helmet-to-helmet hit, he also gave up a long pass before it & the TD pass after it.

11. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Elite qb's will do what elite qb's do to secondaries...shred. if we are going to fashion ourselves as contenders, our defense has to at least slow them down and give our offense a chance; something we did not do last year against them.

For some odd reason though, I'm not worried about Manning..I guess years of abuse will do that to you & i don't feel his teams are any better than anything we faced all those years he was in Indy.

SF though....really worried about that game...As of now, I don't see how we're going to stop Kaepernick...& he's not even elite..evidenced by his whopping 6 pts he gave me in FF last night :brickwall:.

12. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

I'm just glad we're not facing Ponder this year :wadepalm:

thunderkyss likes this.
  13. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Need to worry about the Ravens first. But, the next 3 games will tell us a lot about our team. Win, lose, or draw, we're fixin to find out what we have! :texflag:

14. GNTLEWOLF

GNTLEWOLF All Pro

What secondary?:thinking:

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The one that is 5th in yards given up, 6th in ypa and 3rd in % completions allowed - 52.5%.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I thought it was funny when Wilcox said Locker was targeting Kj after that 99 yard drive.

What's bad, is that some people believed it.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

He gave up that catch to Nate Washington... other than that, I don't think he gave up a catch. But I really want to see the All 22 before I say too much about it. To me, the last two games, looks like he's getting a little over-confident & is trying to make plays instead of just playing solid coverage & forcing the QB to look elsewhere to throw the ball. Where he just "let the receiver go" & Nate Washington caught the big pass, he was probably expecting a throw he could make a play on like he did earlier.

The hit to Wright. Not a very smart play, should have just tackled him. He came off his man to make a play... he tried to separate the ball from the receiver.. gave up the play & then some. But whoever was covering him (McCain I assume, but he was nowhere in the screenshot) blew that one.

Same thing with Delanie Walker. Kareem didn't make a play to keep him out of the endzone, but he was standing on the goal line when he got to him (hyperbole). Walker was not Kareem's assignment. He was just all over that side of the field, because the receiver he was covering didn't give him enough to do.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The next three games isn't going to tell us anything the first 5 games of 2012 didn't (5-0). Winning games in Sept is nice.... but they don't tell us a whole lot.

19. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

To back up what TK is stating PFF, who watches every snap and every game, have the breakdown in regards to coverage for the Titans game.

KJ: 5 targets 2 receptions 12 yards 1 TD 2 Passes Defended
    JJ: 11 targets 7 receptions 73 yards 0 TD 0 Passes Defended

20. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I thought they had a better game as a unit.