Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The season isn't over yet

gtexan02

Working?
If we cut Kris Brown, start and actually use Slaton, and cut out the ridiculous personal fouls, this team still has a shot.

Here is our remaining schedule:Indy, at home - We need this game. We were close in Indy. This is a winnable game if we play well.

Jacksonville in Jax - This is the most important game we have left. Jacksonville is ahead of us in the WC standings. We need this one if we want any shot at the playoffs

Seattle at home - This is a team on the ropes, should be a win for us

St Louis in STL - With Bulger gone, and our team able to contain runners like SJack, I think this should be a win

Miami in Fl - This game is significantly less scary with Ronnie Brown out for the year. We should be able to win here.

New England at home - NE is a tough team for us to face. Its like the Colts. They pass a lot, and dont rely on the run game. Could go either way.

We could finish anywhere from 11-5 to 8-8. I think that 9-7 or 10-6 are reasonable records for us to achieve. At some point, this team has got to get a break from the football gods.

The teams we are still competing against for a wild card are:
Jacksonville @ 6-4
Denver @ 6-4
Pittsburgh @ 6-4
Baltimore @ 5-5

Jacksonville
@SF - This could go either way, but Jax could win this game
Hou - Lets assume they lose this game
Mia - Could go either way, but Jax probably wins
Indy - They were close in Indy, so could go either way.
@NE - Warm weather team in NE when they are locking up a spot, looks like a loss
@Cle - Jackonsville should win this easily
Jacksonville could be anywhere from 10-6 to 8-8. They realistically appear to be headed for a 9-7 or 10-6 record.
If we beat them and we beat Indy, we will be tied for division record if they also beat Indy, so the tie breaker will go down to common opponents:
Two games against Indy (both are 0-1 at this point)
Two games against Tenn (both are 1-1)
Cardinals (both are 0-1)
Seattle (Jax is 0-1, we havent played)
STL (Jax is 1-0, we havent played)
NYJ (Jax is 1-0, we are 0-1)
Buffalo (both are 1-0)
SF (Jax hasnt played, we are 1-0)
Miami (neither has played)
So if we both beat Indy, and we both beat Miami, and Jax wins at SF while we win in Sea, then we'll be tied again for common opponents and it goes down to conference wins. Jax is 5-2 in the conference and we are 4-4. At this point, we really need Jax to lose to SF, Miami, or both.

Denver
The broncos are currently at 6-4 and on a free fall. Remaining opponents:
NYG - Giants should take care of this game
@KC - Division game, could go either way
@Indy - Indy should win this game
Oak - Denver will probably win this game, although its a division game
@Philly - In Philly is always difficult, could go either way
KC - At home to close the season against KC, Denver should win
So Denver looks to be somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6.
They are 2-1 in the division, with 3 winnable division games left, giving them the tie breaker over us. We need them to fall to 8-8 or 9-7 in order to jump them in the rankings

Pittsburgh
The Steelers are at 6-4 and coming off an embarassing loss at KC. Big Ben also got hurt, although he plans to play Sunday.
@Baltimore - tough game, could go either way
Oakland - Should be a win
@Cleveland - Should be a win
Green Bay - Either way
Baltimore - Tough division game, but at home, goes either way
@Miami - Finish up the season between 2 teams in the hunt, could go either way
They have to play Baltimore twice, meaning that both of these teams are not going to be in the wc race by seasons end.
Realistically they appear to be headed for 8-8 to 11-5. I dont think they can sweep Baltimore, but we'll have to see. That loss to KC really helped us. If they split with Baltimore, that puts them at 7-5. They would then have 2 gimmes to put them at 9-5. Games against GB and Miami leaves them at 11-5 or 10-6. A split with Baltimore and a victory at Cleveland gives them a division record of 3-3, which would tie us if we beat Indy and Jax.
Common opponents:
Tenn (Steelers 1-0, Texans 1-1)
Bengals (Steelers 0-2, Texans 1-0)
Oakland (Steelers yet to play, Texans 1-0)
Miami (both yet to play)

Baltimore Currently sits at 5-5
Remaining games:
Pitt - division, will probably split
@GB - tough game in cold Lambeau
Detroit - should be a gimme
Chicago - This team is a mess, and can go either way
@Pitt - See above
@Oakland - should be a gimme
That leaves them at 7-9 to 10-6. I dont see them sweeping Pitt
Division record with a split at Pitt is 3-3, also tied with us if we beat Indy and Jax
Common opponents:
NE - Baltimore lost, weve yet to play
Bengals - Baltimore 0-2, Texans 1-0
Indy - Both lost
Oakland - Texans 1-0, Baltimore yet to play

So again, another toss up

I didn't include Miami because we have a head to head game with them

Summary:
The Texans are at 5-5 with 2 gimme games (7-5) and 4 that could go either way. Division record is the tie breaker after head to heads, and so we desperately need to win both our division games to have any shot at the playoffs.

The Jaguars are 6-4 with 1 gimme (7-4) and 5 that could go either way. If we want to jump them for a chance at the WC, we need them to lose both division games (to us and to Indy)

The Broncos are 6-4 with 2-3 gimmees (8-4) and 3-4 that could go either way. This team is two faced, so I can't tell how competitive they are right now. If they continue to freefall, they may be a nonfactor

The Steelers are 6-4 with 2 gimmees (8-4) and 4 games that could go either way.

The Ravens are 5-5 with 2 gimmees (7-5) and 4 that could go either way.

These last two play each other twice before the season is over, and that result will go a long way in determining who gets in.

All of these teams have legimate chances to make the postseason, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

It looks like there could be as many 5 teams tied at 10-6 with similar division records, so at this point SOS is important, as is record in teh conference, against common opponents, and in the DIVISION.

Last night was a tough, tough loss for su

Last edited:
they still have a shot, yes. this game against Indy is it, they win and anything is possible, they lose and they're playing for nothing more than to finish with a winning record.

*sigh* why did I bother posting this with the stupidity that fans are showing today.

Did you even read the post? The Texans dont need to win out. 10-6 looks like the record that both wildcard spots are going to be claimed with.

11-5 would all but guarantee a playoff spot.

We could easily go 5-1 and make the playoffs

I think we get one more loss, that can't be named Jacksonville.

Thank you!

We need both division games to have any shot at a tie breaker, but we don't need to win out. We could theoretically lose to a non-divisional opponent and still win (although we really can't lose to Miami either because most of the other wc teams play miami and they are also in the race)

*sigh* why did I bother posting this with the stupidity that fans are showing today.

Did you even read the post? The Texans dont need to win out. 10-6 looks like the record that both wildcard spots are going to be claimed with.

10-6 won't get in. 5-1 will not happen either. Sorry to break it to ya. This team does not have the mental fortitude to finish tough games. They just don't.

As much as I hate these threads, I agree with you.

Having said that, it seems like the only time that Kubiak gets these guys ready to play a game is when criticism is at its highest and his job is on the line.

Not sure if my post was considered "stupidity" or not, but I'm looking at the attitude of the team going forward after the Indy game. If they win, they'll feel like anything is possible, they lose and its "well, here we go again".

The Texans have a very doable and good chance of being above 500 for the season. But not the playoffs unless they change. Right now the Texans are still the Texans of old, they are just a more talented version of the same ole same ole.

Until this team learns how to win close games, you can forget about the playoffs.

Having said that, it seems like the only time that Kubiak gets these guys ready to play a game is when criticism is at its highest and his job is on the line.

I REALLY REALLY feel like Kubes and his staff play not to lose instead of playing to win, and that has cost us several games this year.

9-7.

After watching us the past two games, I do NOT see how in the world we can think we're going to only lose one more game.

We're going to fall asleep on someone we shouldn't lose to, and the Pats game is a loss. Unless some freaky things happen, AND if they sit their stars. Which nobody has sat their stars against ANY Houston team. Ever. In any sport.

10-6 is an awfully bold prediction, gtexan.

Hell, if we lose to the Colts or Jags, and we could just as well lose to BOTH of them, then that blows the hell out of 10-6 AND 9-7.

I can't seem to even begin to think past the next two games. And I sure hope the Texans players and coaches feel the same way. Not ragging your thread or your opinions. Just adding my two cents worth to the conversation.

I REALLY REALLY feel like Kubes and his staff play not to lose instead of playing to win, and that has cost us several games this year.

Exactly.

Everyone was laughing at Fisher when they were 0-6. I wasn't. I said that I won't believe they are dead until I see their casket in the ground. And look what happened. They're not dead. Not by a mile.

Fisher coaches one way, and his team seems to respond by acting the same way on the field. Kubiak coaches his own way, and look at our team. We're tentative and shaky and wobbly. Full of anxiety.

If there's a chance to make a next step, we spiral back down to .500 football again. This is the year of the Yo-Yo for the Texans.

IMO, the next two divisional games are must wins. We're 1-3 against our own division now, and that sucks.

Sorry I don't think 10-6 gets us to the playoffs, I think 11-5 is the only way you get in as a wildcard this year.

Whatever, the Texans humiliated us last night. All of us who are x-Oilers fans, who despise Bud Adams, and who have to listen to all the VY fanboys everywhere we go.

Sure, the Titans are and always will be postseason chokers, however the Texans are regular season chokers and that doesn't look like it is going to change.

Whatever, the Texans humiliated us last night. All of us who are x-Oilers fans, who despise Bud Adams, and who have to listen to all the VY fanboys everywhere we go.

Sure, the Titans are and always will be postseason chokers, however the Texans are regular season chokers and that doesn't look like it is going to change.

You're great. The thing is we should've drafted VY and that is it, we didn't and this is gonna be a curse for years to come. This is still the beginning.:user:

Easily go 5-1? Are you freaking kidding me? For this team and the way they've been playing, what part about beating Jacksonville, Miami, NE, or Indy sounds easy to you?

Unless we find something we haven't had all year except during the Bengals and Colts game, we will lose 3-4 of those games.

Exactly.

Everyone was laughing at Fisher when they were 0-6. I wasn't. I said that I won't believe they are dead until I see their casket in the ground. And look what happened. They're not dead. Not by a mile.

Fisher coaches one way, and his team seems to respond by acting the same way on the field. Kubiak coaches his own way, and look at our team. We're tentative and shaky and wobbly. Full of anxiety.

If there's a chance to make a next step, we spiral back down to .500 football again. This is the year of the Yo-Yo for the Texans.

I think this is a very valid point. I don't see us going out and punching teams in the mouth, keeping the pressure on, and kicking them while they are down. I am a bit tired of watching this team playing "not to lose" football. Perhaps, the entire team and coaches need to watch more game film of the Patriots and the Saints? "Good" guys finish last in football. We need more Killer attitudes in the coaching staff. We need our guys playing like assassins. No quit until your opponent is dead.

:aggressive:

This is probably meaningless, but did anyone notice how the titans were lined up in perfect lines during the National Anthem and coin flip? I noticed that, then looked across to our side and we were all discombobulated with players and coaches all jumbled up.

Anywho, just wanted to point that out.

The posts that are the most frustrating are the people who are claiming that 11-5 is what you need to get the wildcard this year.

Where is this coming from? Ive clearly outlined the remaining teams schedules, and its quite likely that BOTH wildcards will be 10-6, not 11-5.

Easily go 5-1? Are you freaking kidding me? For this team and the way they've been playing, what part about beating Jacksonville, Miami, NE, or Indy sounds easy to you?

Unless we find something we haven't had all year except during the Bengals and Colts game, we will lose 3-4 of those games.

I said could easily go 5-1 and make the playoffs, not just easily go 5-1

It was in response to all the people claiming that they can see the future, and the only record possible to enter the playoffs is 11-5 or better, despite that fact that the best wildcard team right now is 6-4 (0.600 winning percentage, which projects to BELOW 10-6 (10-6 is a 0.625 winning percentage).

There are NO 7-3 teams vying for the wildcard, so how anyone believes that an 11-5 record (almost 0.700 winning percentage) is the LOWEST you can get is beyond me.

The top 2 wildcards right now are Pitt who just lost to KC and Jacksonville who got blown out by Seattle and almost lost in OT to the Rams.

This is a VERY easy year to make the playoffs, no clear cut 5th or 6th seed right now

The Texans have a very doable and good chance of being above 500 for the season. But not the playoffs unless they change. Right now the Texans are still the Texans of old, they are just a more talented version of the same ole same ole.

Until this team learns how to win close games, you can forget about the playoffs

I think it's unfortunate this is the only team in the race, that can't rely
on its kicker. You do realize that EVERY team makes mistakes, and uses
their kicker to bail them out on occasion. The problem this year, is that
Kris Brown can't make the kicks that REALLY matter. Hell. Bironas hit 2 of
3 fieldgoals yesterday. Brown struggles to hit from 25, when he's usually
money from 50. The Steelers beat the Colts to go to the Superbowl, because
Vanderjagt shanked a kick.

The elite teams play at a level, where a kicker must bail its team out to win
the damn game. The Texans and Titans were both playing at a playoff
level last night, but only one kicker showed up. To expect ANY team to
play perfect ball, WITHOUT relying on its kicker to win is UNREALISTIC.
Matt Stover hit a kick to beat the Texans. Bironas hit one to beat the
Texans yesterday. Kris Brown needs to fix his head quick, or we won't
stand a chance.

We could EASILY go 5-1. That's funny.

Perhaps we could theoretically go 5-1, I will give you that but not easily.

Exactly.

each kicker had a chance to help their team win. rob made his kris missed his. there is no magic coaching formula for that.

fisher was in about the same situation as kubes with 3rd down and long close to the end of the game. he did'nt try for a first down he ran a safe play and left it up to his kicker, same as kubes.

The posts that are the most frustrating are the people who are claiming that 11-5 is what you need to get the wildcard this year.

Where is this coming from? Ive clearly outlined the remaining teams schedules, and its quite likely that BOTH wildcards will be 10-6, not 11-5.

Cause your layout is an opinion it's not fact till we actually play the games and win them. I have more faith in other teams that know how to win vs. the Texans who are finding more and more ways to lose than to win.

The difference is playmakers making plays. Titans playmakers made enough plays to win and Texans playmakers did not. From Kris Brown defensive front's inability to get any pressiure on VY and then losing containment when they did to the entire defense playing "scared" to the offense Schaub, Slaton, AJ, OL doing just enough to lose another close game, very disappointing, when is this franchise going to get tired of losing?

We could EASILY go 5-1. That's funny.

Perhaps we could theoretically go 5-1, I will give you that but not easily.

Next time you quote someone try reading the whole post and understanding the point. I even posted another post clarifying this. Way to go, though

Back