The Saints in NOLA still face big problems

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by nunusguy, Feb 16, 2007.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Still, about a quarter of the stadium’s luxury suites are unoccupied (they are all in various stages of construction), and naming rights to the Superdome are unsold.

“We’re financially viable,” said Dennis Lauscha, the team’s chief financial officer. “We have two big problems, a facility problem and a market problem. If you fix both, you’ll have strong viability.”

The Saints face formidable obstacles. Not the least is whether local and state governments, with enormous rebuilding priorities, can, or should, help finance a new stadium or let Benson move elsewhere. After Katrina struck, Benson was reportedly interested in moving the team to San Antonio, where it played several home games during the 2005 season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/17/s...tml?ex=1171774800&en=8500cbddaff1c3d0&ei=5070

2. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

I hate for NO to lose, what seems to be, the next up and coming franchise in the NFL. But, on the other hand, I would love for the Saints to go to San Antonio.

I am die hard Texans through and through, but I also tend to route for the next closest home team come play off time (Cowboys). This would be a nice addition to our state.

In all honesty though, I think someone will step forward and help NO keep their franchise.

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Problem is, if the Saints come to SA, I'll never see the Texans again. It'll be like the New Orleans Texans to me. :brickwall

4. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I think the Saints would go to LA over San Antonio.

5. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

6. texanskan

texanskan Veteran

7. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

How about this one?

What's changed since then? They still don't know if they'll have a team relocate there or put an expansion team there.

Make no mistake about it. The NFL wants a franchise in the 2nd largest city in the US. They'll get it come hell or high water.

8. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Yeah it is an old article but it still applies. Remember, how the NFL did just about anything to give an expansion to LA over Houston? It still holds true, that they will try to get a team there regardless if the people in LA want it there or not.

9. Chicagotexan1

Chicagotexan1 Hall of Fame

In a van down by the river next to another van dow
    Being drafted by the Saints was Reggie Bushs' best chance to play footbal in LA again. Even thought LA is apathetic when it comes to proball, I think the fans would support a team that had a former trojan great.

10. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

11. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I have to agree with this, but not just because the NFL wants a team in the 2nd largest market. I think Jerry Jones would try to block any move to San Antonio because of the large market/fan base of Cowboy fans he has there.

12. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

It's not like you're seeing them now (if you live outside of Houston). Actually, since the Saints are an NFC team they would bump the Cowboys. So in Austin, Sundays would be the Saints and Titans every week. The Cowboys fans here would love that.

13. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

San Antonio is a nice city and all, but no way in hell they land the Saints. So many different factors go into this. They are a market like Jacksonville. Jacksonville puts tarps their stadium to avoid blackouts. SA doesn't have the disposably income that is really needed to support the NFL long-term. Also, corporate sponshorship. Once the newness of the team wears off, that will be a finacially struggling franchise.

Los Angeles has all of that, so the NFL wouldn't pass up an area of 20 million for 1.8 million San Antonio's area.

Regardless, I would like the Saints to stay in New Orleans, but that city doesn't have its priorities right, so they might lose them.

14. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

15. jlam

jlam Veteran

Sure they will. Eventually. But I doubt it will be anytime soon enough to land the Saints. By the time some sort of stadium resolution is come up with in L.A., the Saints will likely either have extended their lease with the state or have packed up elsewhere.

Fact of the matter is that L.A. isn't really that high of a priority right now for the NFL. Here's an article from just before the Super Bowl. Touches on a few of the Commish's views as it pertains to the NFL in L.A.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_5148994

16. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

I think the Saints are off the hook now too. The PR disaster that would come from moving the Saints would make it silly. I don't think the other owners will go for it.

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2007/02/16/government/794chargers021507.txt

Jerry Jones effect.
    Goodell has to do something with NFL Network and the targets they have set for coverage... which is a whole another debate with cable companies and sat tv outfits. ( and the recent revolts from private enterprise journalism )

The franchise fee of a billion dollars for two new clubs is a mighty big check for most of the owners ( and would double/triple their normal profits made )

Toronto and LA are the latest targets that I have seen. ( with the idea that the Toronto club would be marketed as the face of all of Canada )

Mexico City has been scorned because of the distance and the safety concerns ( but only by a handful of economists ).

EDIT:
    Also whatever happened to Terry Bradshaw buying the Saints?

17. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

The Saints need to stay in New Orleans.

18. jlam

jlam Veteran

I don't think Bradshaw and his group of backers (James Davison, a major trucking mogul out of Ruston, La being one of them) ever really got out of the stage of preliminary talks to attempt to buy the team. Benson wasn't selling, but I think that just the effort put forth by Bradshaw kind of brought to the forefront the fact that if Benson were to try and take the team elsewhere, there was someone willing to put up the money to buy the team to keep it in the region (there were rumors at the time that the league may strongarm Benson into selling to someone with proper financial resources to avoid the ensuing PR nightmare). Obviously, Bradshaw wouldn't have done this if he felt he were going to lose major money, but I think his primary objective was to keep the franchise in New Orleans and bring some stability, which (at least for the time being) is the case.

I really wish the whole "Swap T.B. for T.B." thing would have come to fruition, as it would have eased everyone's minds considerably concerning the long-term future of our team. But I think in reality it was kind of a pipe dream all along.

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

It would be a travesty if the Saints were no longer in New Orleans.

I understand business and economics, but that doesn't make it right. If (and maybe when) they do move, it would reveal that the NFL no longer cares about their much heralded traditions as much as they care about the almighty dollar. Profit is an important part of things, but I see a time in the future when the average fan is priced out of enjoying professional sports.

20. jlam

jlam Veteran

Unfortunately I think that if the Saints were to end up moving, it will ultimately be out of the NFL's hands when it happens. To this point the NFL has done nothing but twist every arm possible to keep the Saints where they are, and I couldn't be more satisfied with what Tagliabue and Goodell have said publicly concerning the subject (although that IS publicly).

I fear that if things were to go South, it will be due to greedy ownership/management and poor leadership at the state level. Benson appears to have, at least temporarily, backed off of his pre-Katrina stadium demands, realizing that the only real short-term (5 years and in) is the Superdome. There is an out-clause in our current lease agreement with the state that has to be exercised by March 31 I believe where if the team chooses to do so, it may pay $70 million and walk, but if not, they are here until 2010. I highly doubt that our current governor, Kathleen Blanco, will be re-elected, and some have suggested that she is a major hanging point in the negotiations between the team and the state. Many think that she is content with just making sure the Saints don't leave under her watch, leaving the long-term problem for someone else to deal with.