The root of the problem?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Sep 24, 2006.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Richard Smith or the DL? Discuss.

I think its Richard Smith. These guys have looked progressively worse and worse every week, an indication of poor coaching. They played well with instict in the preseason, and have regressed since then.

2. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

thats actually a tough one most likely a combo of both... with an extra side dish of secondary..

3. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

I'm starting to think the staff has been spending too much time trying to "upgrade" personnel. At some point, you have to focus on coaching.

I didn't like Richard Smith's play calling today or the previous two weeks. I think he's making his players look worse than they are playing.

4. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I think the players have a country club mentality ... their not very assertive out there .

5. NO PASS RUSH

NO PASS RUSH Rookie

I think its a LACK of Talent really!!

6. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

Just a little off topic, but how would you feel if we were 0-3 with Vince Young or Reggie Bush?

Reggie Bush has obviously made the Saints play much better. VY, well he's the home town guy that put his team on his back in the Rose Bowl to win the Natl. Championship, and is currently struggling a bit. But he does have the attitude to win.

Bottomline the Texans just need someone that is going to improve the morale on this team. get them fired up.

7. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

The fans need a player to fire them up. The team needs a leader.

8. actionbull

actionbull Rookie

Defense looks like a bunch of slugs. If I see Carr fumble another snap I am going postal. How hard is that? He probably needs to run over to Robertson to see a real quarterback at UH.

9. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Playcalling which basically means Richard Smith. Too many times was the wrong play called where the line stunted and the Skins would hand off right up the gut and there wasn't a defensive linemen within 3 yards.

10. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Yes, but when you are scored on as much as we are its very difficult to play with any enthusiasm. We scored 1st just like in the Philly game only to see it disappear in a heart beat. It is very difficult to build any momentum under those circumstances.

11. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Thank God for Demeco, and I was upset with the pick!

12. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

See..I dont think it was entirely playcalling..not by a long shot. Though it does appear as though we are NOT calling the plays that put us in a position to make a difference.

But, for example at the end of the second quarter when everyone in the stadium, and sitting at home, KNEW that the Redskins were about to hand it off to Portis so that they could pick up a few more yards and call a timeout and kick a field goal before the half... despite the fact that EVERYONE KNEW that was coming..even Richard Smith.. he still ran it in for a touchdown.

That wasnt bad play calling..that was shoddy play by our defense.

13. afcman

afcman Veteran

Yeah. And, sadly, I don't see Carr doing it. Look, let me say this: I think Carr has fantastic potential. But maybe it would be good to try someone else. Maybe we should part for the betterment of both parties. I honestly think Carr needs a year off to clear his head.

And I'm glad we don't have VY. But Bush wouldv'e been a start. (Makes me wonder if they let Bush go just to help out the city of New Orleans)

As a side note: I'm glad the Colts beat the F'in Jags. :redtowel:

14. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

It may not be playcalling but I know when the safeties are sitting 30 yards off the line of scrimmage even I would run the draw or the screen. I'm thinking maybe stack the box and at the VERY LEAST just SHOW a blitz and then drop back into your coverage...ya know? Something!

BTW - when exactly did Richard Smith learn to coach defense? Was it when he was coaching tight ends and OL with the Oilers? :brickwall

15. kenneth24

kenneth24 Veteran

it's got to be a combination of both. How can we be so bad at 3rd down defense? Seems like everytime, an opposing receiver will go one yard past the first down marker and catch a pass. And today the Redskins were running for 8-9 yards on 3rd down to keep the drive alive. How the heck??! And when the opposing team does throw underneath where are the defensive personnel? Even on the screen passes there is nobody within 5 yards! :brickwall i am :embarrass for the defense

16. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

It's Richard Smith. Our entire defense looks totally lost.

17. ComstockLode

ComstockLode Veteran

We have the worst defensive line in the NFL.

We have the worst secondary in the NFL(maybe a tie with lions)

We have a rookie DC.

The results arent pretty.

18. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Based on how poorly the defense has played in three games, I have to put it on the coaching. Seems to be a scheme that puts our guys in the position of reacting and we all know how well that has worked. The thing that really bothers me is that it isn't a secret that it isn't going well and yet we still do the same thing, like no blitzing.

19. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

exactly EDO

I can't imagine a line of weaver,payne,TJ and Williams being that bad and even if you took williams out and put babin or peek.. how is our run defense so bad? I mean this history making bad

20. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

I gotta agree alot of the blame has to lie at the coach's feet. By the same token I gotta question our guys desire. I was in the stadium early and I was watching Weaver and Williams before the game. I dunno what to think, maybe you guys can tell me. I saw them walk over to where the field goal was and Weaver began practicing some moves against the goal post pads. Mario just stretched. He had on headphones so I dunno if he was scared he would knocked them off if he practiced with Weaver, but I don't really know what to make of what I saw. The other thing is our defense didn't look that lost last yr. so I gotta wonder if Smith isn't making things too complicated. Considering how vanilla we look out there I doubt it, but I just don't get how we can look so bad on D.