Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Real Problem?

txhoosier

Waterboy
I don't know if this has been discussed yet...a quick search of the forum tells me no, but...

Heard this on the radio the other day, and had to go to NFL.com to verify it, but it's true...

The Texans and Bears scored the same number of points this season...259.

The Bears won their division, and a first round BYE in the playoffs, while the Texans have the #1 draft pick, only winning 2 games.

The reason? The Bears gave up a mere 12.6 ppg (202 total), while the Texans gave up 229 MORE points, to average 26.9 ppg (431 total).

Vince Young or Reggie Bush be darned...once you guys get a coach in there that can utilize the athleticism of this defense, and learn to use the strengths that are already there, rather than trying to put square pegs in round holes, this team can see a GREAT turnaround in just one season. This team's defense has players that are better suited to a 4-3, and I think once you have a 4-3 coach, a vast improvement will be seen.

Not to mention that the "O" will improve as well. If anyone knows how to coach an O-line, it's Denver's coaches, and if Kubiak comes in here, the line protecting Carr right now might just get better through coaching.

My whole point is...don't get all hung up on who the T's should draft. Young or Bush would both be a good pick. Improvement on D will be what this team can hang it's hat on next season.

You guys just remember to be nice to me at the Colts game. It's one of 2 games each season I root AGAINST the T's. LOL.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
tulexan said:
That may be true, but Vince Young can also play every position on defense.
And we won't really need a head coach or coordinators if we draft Vince Young. He'll just draw plays in the dirt for each unit. ;)

Good post, txhoosier. I think we've got some talent on this team, as well, and it's only a matter of getting the right leadership to steer it in a winning direction. Of course, we've got some holes to fill, but with a strong draft and hopefully some FA pickups, we can be on the right track sooner than later.

I'm in agreement with you about Young or Bush. Either way will be a great pick.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
txhoosier said:
I don't know if this has been discussed yet...a quick search of the forum tells me no, but...

Heard this on the radio the other day, and had to go to NFL.com to verify it, but it's true...

The Texans and Bears scored the same number of points this season...259.

The Bears won their division, and a first round BYE in the playoffs, while the Texans have the #1 draft pick, only winning 2 games.

The reason? The Bears gave up a mere 12.6 ppg (202 total), while the Texans gave up 229 MORE points, to average 26.9 ppg (431 total).

Vince Young or Reggie Bush be darned...once you guys get a coach in there that can utilize the athleticism of this defense, and learn to use the strengths that are already there, rather than trying to put square pegs in round holes, this team can see a GREAT turnaround in just one season. This team's defense has players that are better suited to a 4-3, and I think once you have a 4-3 coach, a vast improvement will be seen.

Not to mention that the "O" will improve as well. If anyone knows how to coach an O-line, it's Denver's coaches, and if Kubiak comes in here, the line protecting Carr right now might just get better through coaching.

My whole point is...don't get all hung up on who the T's should draft. Young or Bush would both be a good pick. Improvement on D will be what this team can hang it's hat on next season.

You guys just remember to be nice to me at the Colts game. It's one of 2 games each season I root AGAINST the T's. LOL.

Good point.

It is my contention that the biggest difference between this Texans season and the previous seasons has been the defense. Our offense has been frustrating in the past (see TX-Pittsburgh W), but our defense has usually kept things close.

In my mind, it is too inexperienced and is lacking real depth. Too many people starting that might have trouble being backups in other teams. A need for more playmakers. The experienced players have had key injuries.

On offense, injuries to AJ and DD dint help, but if you get too far down in a game, and the opponent knows you have to throw, they are going to tee off on your QB.

This is why the off season move I am most interested in are the coordinators--on offense AND defense. I would like a defensive scheme that is easy for players to pick up in an era of the cap and having to play young players.

Defense is always the best way to improve your team quickly, and once in the playoffs, find some success. It is easier to be consistent on defense than on offense I think.

WWJD

Hall of Fame
Wow. That's a interesting point about the teams and their records.

And somewhat ironic with Dom being a defensive guru and all.

txhoosier

Waterboy
Let me say this about Fangio...his defensive schemes are TERRIBLE, and far to complex for players to understand. When he was a Jim Mora assistant, and the DC for the Colts, the Colts gave Mora an ultimatum...fire Fangio, or hit the door yourself, and take him with you.

Mora has never coached again, and Fangio wound up here. I look for a tremendous improvement on D this year, perhaps putting less pressure on the O, and giving Carr some breathing room? I don't know.

Here's to hoping the Texans go 14-2 next year. (and the Colts going 16-0) LOL.

BREAZE

Waterboy
The O-line has never had the priority level that the defense has enjoyed...further proof a chimp could to better than Casserly.

Does Tulexan, Morknolle, and Double Barrel all work together with connecting cubicles or something. Are you guys working hard or hardly working. Every thread I read has ya'll 3 eerily close togther. And ya'll think alike too. I'm gonna have carpel tunnel (sp) by draft day just trying to keep up with you guys.

Get back to work.