The Problem is Fangio.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Coach C., Dec 4, 2005.

1. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

So I am in my media room with three of my closes friends enjoying pizza and the Texans game. I watch the first half and think damn the offense looks slow, but the defense looks even worse(crappy penalties and bad playcalling). The second half rolls around and we are laughing at my one friend because he is a Cowboys fan and he loss so it was a winning day in some aspect. Then the defense makes some plays when the get some aggressive play calls and I am thinking why has this not been the playcalling all game against sorry-*** Kyle Boller. Then we are taken on the emotional rollercoaster of the last 4min and are nervous when we finally take the lead. 55 seconds are left and to win the game it is on Fangio's playcalling. My boy mentions this is bad because Fangio calls play like a drooling retarted kid, so you know how that works just thinkin burn. Which in our case gets the defense burnt. Heap makes a spectacular play against our playmaker Greenwood(25mil), and we are wondering were is the pressure that had Kyle Boller looking like crap for most of the 4th quarter. The blitz is on, but they dont drop a LB into the middle to guard against the cross or quick slant. We have a safety on their fastest reciever and we get beat. We sit there and we wonder, how is it that FANGIO still has a job?

Fangio's playcalling is horrid, and we as fans can finally see that when you call our 3-4 aggressively we have the players to make plays. Fangio should be fired tomorrow. I mean promote Hoke now before he takes the TAMU job. Give me your thoughts on Fangio's performance.

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I want Fangio gone as well. But the defense played ok for most of the game. Our problem was on Offense, 5 FG's, and special teams were atrocious.

3. swisher

swisher Old School

Good question.

4. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I cant wait till we get a new DC and some of these guys on our bench get a good long look.

Anderson, Polk, Orr.. i think we really might have some talented players riding the pine.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Agreed.

6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Yes, Fangio is a problem. His 3-4 stinks like nobody's business. The reason you have to fire Capers is that he won't fire Fangio, nor will he fire Pendry which IMO is almost, but not quite as important.

It's going to take a house cleaning to fix this. Then we're going to have to spend at least a year with another coach and staff before we have any true idea whether Casserly has done his job correctly or not.

7. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Herv I agree mostly. I think a new staff will be able to instill great turnaround with this team. Legitimately we have the playmakers and role players to push anyteam, but the playcalling puts us in a whole before we even start the game. It is like our coaches do not even watch film.

8. College Texan

College Texan Veteran

Pressure was on most of the game but his playcalling always seems to break down in the fourth quarter.

Our defense breaks down when we play deep zone, it is like the DB's have no idea of who they are suppose to cover.

9. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

Shantee Orr had a hell of a game today. He has proven that he should be starting. Overall, the defense played a good game, but playcalling at the end cost us a win. The prevent did its job again...it prevented us from winning. Also, IMHO, Peek got a raw deal today. The two roughing the passer calls against him were pure BS. It made it look like Peek was being targeted by the refs.

While I'm posting, I just wanted to put my :twocents: in about the Reggie Bush situation. IMHO, I think drafting him would be a mistake unless we pick him first and then trade him. We need too many other positions to grab another player at a position that we are strong at. We have D. Davis, J. Wells, & V. Morrency, so we really don't need another RB. I know it would be nice to have him, but honestly, would we be better off with Bush or a couple of top O-linemen? If we drafted Bush, we could trade him for a top veteran OT and another 1st round pick, or maybe a top veteran Center and a 1st. I just think that drafting him to play for us would keep us from filling the major holes that we have.

I know everyone is excited about getting Bush, but is it the best thing?

10. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Palmer gets axed a few games into the season while Fangio's defense has been horrible all year. Why is he even here? Let Dom call the defensive plays and see what he's got.

11. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

I asked that last week. How he got a job is beyond me. He has failed every place he has been.

12. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

someone said last week and I am almost in agreement with this. Palmer was the scapegoat. Palmer was running an offense that Capers wants and I am in belief now that if Palmer was still hear.. He would be our "interim" head coach right now and Capers would be gone. As it is now..I can't imagine any of our coaching staff taking over the reigns.

13. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

IIRC, after Palmer's firing, they said that Palmer was asked to give up some of his responsibilities and let Pendry call some of the offensive plays. They said that Palmer refused because he did not want to take a step backwards in his carreer, so they said they were forced to let him go.

14. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

agreed like none other...fangio's version of the 3-4 defense is like 49ers...it's almost none existant...only the past two games have we had multiple sacks like we're supposed to...and that' probably because the last two teams we faced had sub-par offensive lines...minus orlando pace

15. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I really wish Dom would call plays for the rest of the year. I know he'd step the pressure up even more than what it has been the last two weeks and I doubt he drops into soft cover 2's on every third down and in the two minute defense.

16. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Dom was known for his blitz happy tactics as a DC and it is partly the reason why he received his shot as a HC. It is strange to see a Dom Capers team running such a soft defensive system. I welcome him calling the Defensive Plays, plus it would give him more to write in his notepad.

17. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Fangio has done some awful coaching, but even without him our defense is porous, so he doesn't bother me as much as Pendry. We have a lot of new talent on the defense, unlike the offense, which has very similar players to last year.

18. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I think the real problems are Fangio and Casserly, although Pendry isn't helping the situation at all....and, yes, Palmer was a scape goat (I've said this 3 or 4 times this year), but I don't know if Palmer would work as an HC. Replacing the entire bunch of them will work too. :)

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Dom Capers could be my defensive coordinator any day of the week. For that matter so could Jerry Glanville (back in the day). I wouldn't let either of them near my Head Coach position though (for different reasons). Dom simply cannot dismiss an assistant who's loyal but failing to get it done and Jerry can't handle the attention and becomes the biggest distraction/obstacle to the teams success.

Some guys just don't make good head coaches. It takes a different set of skills than being a coordinator.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Good take. There was some good stuff happening on the D today. DRob was back to form as well.