The (probable) uncapped year & how it affects the Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Maddict5, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/03/23/nfl.meetings/index.html?eref=T1

i was reading this article and was hoping people would confirm if this is how it relates to the Texans...

it seems the texans have already began preparing for this with the lack of long term player resignings.. anyway, assuming no new re-signings, is this correct?

next year

-Demeco will be a RFA instead of an UFA
    -Same with Dunta
    -Same with Owen
    etc

while this means the texans will be able to keep alot of their best players on relatively cheap 1 yr contracts, it means there will be alot of dressing room discontent. it also probably explains why dunta and demeco are so pissed at not getting contracts this season

2. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Here's the list:

UFAs
    CPitts
    KWalter
    DRobinson (all 3 would have 6 years of NFL experience)
    KBrown
    CBrown
    MTurk

RFAs
    ODaniels
    DRyans
    RButler
    SMcClover (all have expired contracts but less than 6 years experience)
    CWhite
    Briesel
    Bulman

3. Polo

Polo Guest

I don't really have a problem with there not being as much player movement...I kinda like the idea of being able to keep a lot of players from the core of your team...

4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, if the Texans don't sign a number of extensions after the draft, then next year had better be uncapped or this team is ruined!... I don't mean to sound that alarmist, because I expect a number of deal to get done. However, if we get into August without some of these guys extended, I'm going to be depressed and have to root against a CBA getting done.

5. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

Couple these rules with the league just announcing its new deal with DirectTV that will pay them regardless of whether there's football in 2011, and you can tell that they are digging in.

The union's trump card is Congress, which will, as currently constituted, be sympathetic to the players. But there is only so much heat Congress can bring: unlike MLB which enjoys a broad antitrust exemption, the NFL only has a limited antitrust exemption that allows the league to negotiate collectively for its TV contracts (otherwise, each team would cut its own TV deal). Congress could take that exemption away, but the NFL right now is working on extending its existing contracts to delay the effect of such a move for as long as possible.

The owners regretted the last CBA almost instantly, and they are ready to go to all-out war to get concessions. For all the recriminations from the union about Gene Upshaw being too chummy with management, the real daggers were pointed at Paul Tagliabue for being too close to Upshaw. It's no accident that he's not the commissioner any more.

This is not going to end well for anyone.

6. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame