The OTHER Andre Speaks out

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 14, 2009.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

HOUSTONTEXANS.COM

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. gary

gary Hall of Fame

If he steps up and becomes another deep threat at his WR spot the Texans would be that much more dangerous. GO TEXANS

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Davis already is a deep threat. It's whether he can do the other things in the offense (go over the middle, uncover on intermediate routes) that will determine how often he's used as a WR. Still, Davis has value on special teams as a returner and gunner. So, his spot on the roster should be secure regardless of where he falls on the WR depth chart.

4. gary

gary Hall of Fame

He hasn't made enough plays as a WR to be considered a threat quite yet IMO.

5. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

I don't know about that. When AJ went down Davis was making some spectacular catches.

6. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Last season he had a set back though partly becase of the finger injury.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

When the coaches have put him on the field, yes he has. You can't be a threat from the sideline. Like Lucky said, he is there not because he hasn't shown he can be a deep threat but because he isn't the complete package sufficient to beat out Walter.

8. gary

gary Hall of Fame

When AJ went down in 07 Davis stepped in and played nicely but last season he was not on the field enough to show his tools and skills like he did in 07. I hope he has an injury free season and plays like he played for AJ coming off his injury and becomes that full package player.

9. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Don't underestimate the value of a 1,000 yard kick returner who can double as a flank on the offensive side of the ball.

10. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I think hes going to see less balls than David Anderson this season but he is a good special teams guy and if one of the top 2 WRs gets injured he is probably immediately a starter. Hopefully his return game looks like it did two years ago.

11. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I think Davis is easily the third best WR on the corps and has good value added as a return man. X factor with the receiving unit is if JJ has his head on right and shows strides as a WR.

12. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I don't wanna sound overconfident, but this receiving corps could withstand an injury or two and still be one of the best in the league...throw in Casey and Hill as receiving targets and it makes it even better...would any receiver on the Cowboys even make this roster?

13. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I will be honest with that question. I would take Roy Williams over Davis as Houston's #3, or Miles Austin & Patrick Crayton as the 5th WR over JJ. So yes, IMO three WR's from Dallas would be able to make Houston's roster.

14. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I don't know about Roy but I'd take Crayton over JJ at this point and time untill JJ proves otherwise.

15. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I agree Miles Austin is a pretty good receiver, but JJ is a better returner and DA and AD are both better receivers. Roy Williams is an awful receiver in my opinion and one of the worst route runners in the league. Ask Troy Aikman.. he ripped on him really good last year in Cowboy games... Crayton has worse hands than JJ and isn't as explosive... Stanback or whatever would be a P-squadder here... Walter and Andre are clearly head and shoulders above so I stand by what I said

16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Crayton has worse hands then JJ he has been ok when I have watched the Cowboys.

17. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

At All Access, when Kyle Shanahan was asked who the fastest player on the team was, he responded: Andre...Andre Davis.

If that's correct, that's some speed because there are some fast guys on this team.

18. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

Roy Williams might be an awful route runner, but I would still take him as a slot receiver. JJ is a good punt returner, but he hasn't shown any WR ability, so I would still take Austin & Crayton ahead of him. Having said that I wouldn't take either Crayton or Austin if we had a better #5 then JJ has been to this point.

19. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Being fast in the case of JJ does not help him if he does not hang onto the football.

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Davis IS a deep threat that has to be accounted for in that regard by any D. He just hasn't been a threat to catch a boatload of 10 to 20 yard passes--like Walter. IF he ever could, we'd have Andre JOHNSON 2--well, almost.