The only Shanahan on the sidelines

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=121232&catid=345

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Good article, thanks for posting. I liked it where little Shanny joked he might hire his dad as his assistant next year. LOL

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I'd bet he's a head coach next season. He's got "it". I'm kinda irked that he's getting noticed by other newspapers selfishly, I want him on our staff for a while. Eyes off our cornbread Colorado!

4. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I don't think there is much chance of that at all but if it were to somehow happen it would mean that the Texans had a fantastic season so at least it wouldnt be a total loss. I think he is going to stick around a little while and maybe when he is 32-34 years old he decides to go the HC route.

5. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Kind of doubt that one, but the next year...... could happen.

6. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Its a copy-cat league and 2 first-year head coaches had huge success last year (BAL & ATL)... owners are floating towards youthful replacements (DEN & TB)... has the bloodlines... just sayin it wouldn't surprise me... I think Kyle would interview very well and could dazzle an owner...

7. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Yeah, but look at who those guys are:

1. John Harbaugh was a Dbacks coach for the Eagles and previously Special teams coach. He worked under Jim Johnson and the Eagle D's have been known for a long time as great. The Eagles have been in the playoffs many times while Harbaugh was there.

2. Mike Smtih was part of the great Raven tradition. He also was a D-Coordinator for the Jags when they had a solid Defense and made trips to the post season.

So while these guys were first year coaches they came from established systems. The Ravens, Eagles, Steelers (if you want to throw Wisenhunt), all have proven track records. The Texans do not. So I would be very surprised if Shanny wasnt here for 2-3 years. It takes time to become an established team. There are some in the media who still think of the Texans as the lions of the AFC.

8. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

well if we dont have a winning season this year could it be bye bye kubes and promotion shanny?

9. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

No way, this doesn't matter. Its a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. If we post another top 3 offense again an owner will look and see back to back years of that and run with it. Jason Garrett didn't even command a top 10 offense last year and he got interviews with the Rams and Lions. Todd Hailey got the Chiefs job after OC'ing for a team loaded with weapons. Meanwhile guys like Gruden and Shannahan Senior got canned and they've won super bowls.

I hope you guys are right but I think Kyle will get atleast an interview somewhere if we have an offensive year like last year, and I'm pretty sure it'll be even better with added weapons and a healthier Schaub. And if Kyle gets an interview he will impress an owner because he has that "it" factor and he's obviously a bright football mind.

10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

How many games has the guy called? Let him get a season under his belt and see how he does before we start mourning the loss of him. I think he could be great, but then again, I also thought all DC needed was an OL. OOPS!!!

11. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

On second thought, here is what will probably happen: Our offense is going to have a great season and Shanahan is going to get a lot of the credit. In order to prevent losing him we will surprise him with a franchise tag. He will skip training camp in protest tell anyone who will listen that it is just business.:hides:

12. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I hope you're right about him staying a few more years. I don't like losing a bright up-and-coming OC after 1 or 2 years. It's tough to maintain any continuity with a revolving door situation. The only ways I see him leaving next year are if we go deep into the playoffs and/or win the SB, or if his Dad gets a HC job and asks him to be the OC. I think the 1st scenario is more likely than the 2nd because I think "little Shanny" wants to be his own man and probably knows it would be tough working under his Dad. JMHO!

13. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

With Kyle having the Shannahan name, I wonder how much loyalty he'd show to Kubes for giving him his "big chance". In all truth, he needs a few years to become seasoned and get a firm grap of what it takes to be a coordinator in this league, much less a an head coach.
    I also think a better question would be if he's gonna bolt next year when his daddy has a HC job and needs to put together a staff.

14. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Why would Kyle take a job OC'ing under his dad? Thats a lateral move. His next job will be a head coaching job. How soon it happens is the question.

15. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

And he has been considered Parcell's golden boy for how long before last season?

awtysst is correct these young coaches come from winning programs with a history of producing coaches.

Shanahan is a few years away from being considered a HC IMO, now I can see another team trying to steal him as their OC, perhaps a Cowboys or Washington team that might have just signed his dad to be the HC.

And if I am the Texans I fight that move for a year or two.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

You were correct for his first 249 sacks.

17. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I say we try to get all 3 ...... under one roof

18. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Well I would imagine that he'll stay a coordinator for around 10 years, kinda like Kubiak. He's in no rush, better get a bunch of experience, possibly with different teams/philosophies.

Anyway, he'll be with us for a few more years :)

19. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

hey wasn't his dad visiting Texans camp? Didn't I read that somewhere? What ever came of that? Seems like that would have been news. Has it just not happened yet?

20. cland

cland Veteran

Maybe he isn't coming here because he knows exactly what it's like?