Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The nightmare begins ...

why does this make anyone sick? why?

Best way to stop Vince/Bush is a defense did we get one?

Reggie Bush= Marshall Faulk and defenses found a way to stop him
VY=McNair..dangerous but defensive coordinators found a way to stop himtoo

Hookem Horns said:
Also, the Titans are all over the news here in Austin and no mention of the Texans except a quick blurb about making a surprising pick.
Didn't Austin turn down Texan games on the tube last year? Most of that town has never cared about the Texans. Cowboy lovers. Always have been & always will be.

Edit: I do feel sorry for Vince in having Bud as an owner. He doesn't deserve that. Hope Fisher wasn't planning on Young being in camp on time.

To stop vince all you need to do is put double coverage on his primary (only) option and have a qb spy. (according to espn talking heads)

Lucky said:
Didn't Austin turn down Texan games on the tube last year? Most of that town has never cared about the Texans. Cowboy lovers. Always have been & always will be.

Austin stopped carrying them about halfway through the season last year when most people in Houston weren't watching either. You're right and the Texans aren't doing much to change things either.

CoastalTexan said:
To stop vince all you need to do is put double coverage on his primary (only) option and have a qb spy. (according to espn talking heads)

Why didn't any teams think of that last season? BTW, I thought USC had the one of the best D coordinators in country.

For the record, you can say "all you have to do" pretty much against any athlete, however actually doing it is another thing.

Lucky said:

Not now. Now they will be Titan fans. Just like after Ricky Williams was drafted by New Orleans all you'd see was Saints games in Austin. Last year it was Detroit and Chicago. Cowboys are always first there followed by ex-Longhorns teams. Went to a sports bar last year to watch the Texans and they had like ten TV and only one small one in a corner had the Texans on it.

Hookem Horns said:
Why didn't any teams think of that last season? BTW, I thought USC had the one of the best D coordinators in country.

For the record, you can say "all you have to do" pretty much against any athlete, however actually doing it is another thing.

USC did do it. You could even see the spy in the back ground as Vince scored.

I don't understand why everyone thinks this is the cure to the defense. To pass on a Reggie Bush for this potentially great defensive player is a huge risk that most don't believe will pan out. For one thing...most of his highlights were one or two games, he did really not do much until late in the season and still against young college players. Yes...he has great potential based on half of a season, but to pass on Bush for this is crazy. I am not a texans fan or a Cowboys fan but live in Texas. Why not trade the #1 for some more talent if you do not want Bush. Why risk everything on someone with half a college season of greatness? 4 years and nothing to show for it...way to go Texans....

I am guessing Titanhick's fans might not be much fond of this quote in another article:

Chronic Link

"Like Earl, Vince is Texas-born and Texas-bred," Adams said Saturday night. "I think Vince can have an even bigger impact on the Titans than Earl had on the Oilers because he can throw and run."

Nice quote for people who live in freakin TENNESSEE!

They are fixin to kick Steve McNair to the curb, they don't give Vandy boy Cutler a second thought, and good ole Bud is cackling about how he done got hisself a Texas-born and bred player.

Because I was curious, I looked it up. The Tennessee paper didn't mention the Texas-born and bred stuff because I guess they are protecting Bud's foot from his gaping jouly mouth. Check it out here: Link: Tennessean with the Earl quote but no Texas born and bred reference.

I guess one set of quotes are for those Oiler fans that kept loving the team after its move (the kind of folks that don't mind when their spouses are cheating on them with the toothless hag down the street) and the other quote is for local consumption.

mimartin said:
Not now. Now they will be Titan fans. Just like after Ricky Williams was drafted by New Orleans all you'd see was Saints games in Austin. Last year it was Detroit and Chicago. Cowboys are always first there followed by ex-Longhorns teams. Went to a sports bar last year to watch the Texans and they had like ten TV and only one small one in a corner had the Texans on it.

There is going to be a LOT of Titans fans here in Austin and I am NOT ready to stomach that. However, I don't know about TV. I assume you don't live in Austin because they never had Saints games on much during Ricky's time there. They definitely haven't shown any Bears or Lions games unless they were national games. All those teams you mentioned are NFC teams and would never be on in place of Dallas.

However if the Texans are sucking like they did last year, I can see them putting the Titans on in their place because of Young. Young is a LOT more popular then Ricky Williams or any other x UT player ever to come out of here (except maybe Campbell, however that can be debated).

mimartin said:
Went to a sports bar last year to watch the Texans and they had like ten TV and only one small one in a corner had the Texans on it.
Legends at the Holiday Inn? Same thing happened to me when I was in Austin last year around Thanksgiving. They looked at me as if I was insane when I requested one of the TVs be turned to the Texans game.

Hookem Horns said:
There is going to be a LOT of Titans fans here in Austin and I am NOT ready to stomach that. However, I don't know about TV. I assume you don't live in Austin because they never had Saints games on much during Ricky's time there. They definitely haven't shown any Bears or Lions games unless they were national games. All those teams you mentioned are NFC teams and would never be on in place of Dallas.

However if the Texans are sucking like they did last year, I can see them putting the Titans on in their place because of Young. Young is a LOT more popular then Ricky Williams or any other x UT player ever to come out of here (except maybe Campbell, however that can be debated).

Earl will always be number 1 to me as a UT fan or a fan of the NFL. I am in Austin every weekend the Horns play or whereever else they play.

Those game are on in the sports bars as we get kick out of the hotel by noon and have to retreat to bars to watch the games. As last season progressed we started just listening to the Texans on the radio.

mimartin said:
Earl will always be number 1 to me as a UT fan or a fan of the NFL. I am in Austin every weekend the Horns play or whereever else they play.

Those game are on in the sports bars as we get kick out of the hotel by noon and have to retreat to bars to watch the games. As last season progressed we started just listening to the Texans on the radio.

You're probably talking about Legends. They don't dedicate much to the Texans because most of their business caters to out of state fans who can't see their games on local TV. As an example, the Steelers have a big fan club there. Texan fans here in Austin can normally stay home and watch the games. Until mid-season last year all but one Texan game (Giants game on FOX in 2002) from the beginning was on local TV here in Austin. Last year the Texans were SO bad, people were calling into the CBS affiliate here to change the games to meaningful ones. They finally gave in and stopped showing them.

Honestly, I don't blame them. People in Houston weren't even watching them by that point. I couldn't even give away tickets down there or here.

"I think Vince can have an even bigger impact on the Titans than Earl had on the Oilers because he can throw and run."

Bud can always dream (and I believe that anything is possible)...but those are some MIGHTY BIG shoes to fill there, Mr. Adams. I wouldn't throw that name around lightly. Earl earned his legendary status. Vince has a lot of potential, but I would hesitate to crown him as the Second Coming at this point. He has yet to play a snap of pro ball.

Double Barrel said:
Bud can always dream (and I believe that anything is possible)...but those are some MIGHTY BIG shoes to fill there, Mr. Adams. I wouldn't throw that name around lightly. Earl earned his legendary status. Vince has a lot of potential, but I would hesitate to crown him as the Second Coming at this point. He has yet to play a snap of pro ball.
Earl didn't either the day after he was drafted.

The Dude Abides said:
VY did not beat us. The other 21 Longhorns on the field and timely and expected Aggie turnovers did.

No question he had a bad game vs. A&M. He was due for one and even the greatest players have their bad weeks.

BTW, I really like A&M's QB. That kid should do some good things for the Aggies this coming season.

Hookem Horns said:
No question he had a bad game vs. A&M. He was due for one and even the greatest players have their bad weeks.

BTW, I really like A&M's QB. That kid should do some good things for the Aggies this coming season.

If he's not Troy Aikman'd by midseason

Hookem Horns said:

He had his worst game and Texas still scores 40

9/17 Rice W 51-10 Passing: 8-14, 101 yards. 57.1% 0 TD's, 1 INT, 103.45 QB rating. Rushing: 8 rushes for 77 yards 0 TD's.

VY's worst game was against Rice.

BattleRedRaider said:
9/17 Rice W 51-10 Passing: 8-14, 101 yards. 57.1% 0 TD's, 1 INT, 103.45 QB rating, Rushing: 8 rushes for 77 yards 0 TD's.

VY's worst game was against Rice.
why do you throw the ball with a gigantic lead? I know! you don't. The goal in football is to score...not rack up stats.

Sheesh, I'm just saying stat-wise that was his worst game. I'm not saying anything else. Although he did none of the scoring in that game.

Vinny said:

True, this is where I would like the VY naysayers to be right. That being Texas is a great team and VY was a product of that. Texas is returning a lot of starters so if the VY haters are right, Texas should make another run next season. However, I tend to believe VY was all of that and I don't expect Texas to make another serious run next season.

Hookem Horns said:
Bud brings his first round pick back to Houston. The picture in this article makes me sick. Also, the Titans are all over the news here in Austin and no mention of the Texans except a quick blurb about making a surprising pick.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3830892.html

Unthinkable ... Austinite and UT hero/demigod Vince Young on the Austin news?

Sorry don't mean to nitpick and I expect the VY/RB backlash to carry on for a few weeks at least, but I personally look forward to seeing Vince come here.

Anyone want to start taking bets on the winner of that first game?

Hookem Horns said:
True, this is where I would like the VY naysayers to be right. That being Texas is a great team and VY was a product of that. Texas is returning a lot of starters so if the VY haters are right, Texas should make another run next season. However, I tend to believe VY was all of that and I don't expect Texas to make another serious run next season.
Texas scored 50 points a game. They do not traditionally score this much year in year out do they? Pre-Vince and Post Vince will probably have less dynamic averages I'd bet.

Vinny said:
why do you throw the ball with a gigantic lead? I know! you don't. The goal in football is to score...not rack up stats.

OK OK, I understand he didn't have to throw the ball there. So why'd he do it here?

11/5 @Baylor W 62-0 Passing: 16-27, 298 yards 59.3% 2 TD's 0 INT's 176.41 QB rating. Rushing: 8 rushes for 53, 0 TD's.

Vinny said:
Texas scored 50 points a game. They do not traditionally score this much year in year out do they? Pre-Vince and Post Vince will probably have less dynamic averages I'd bet.

Nice point. It is a good way to judge a player's impact.

LOL. I thought the VY junior year performance nitpicking would be done with after the draft was over.

Let's just say that I am not terribly comfortable with the two best players in the Rose Bowl being coached up by the Flying Meatball's staff. That could be unpleasant in division. I've admired their coaching staff and it pains me that the Fisher to USC thing didn't happen. Dang you, Pete Carroll.

BattleRedRaider said:
OK OK, I understand he didn't have to throw the ball there. So why'd he do it here?

11/5 @Baylor W 62-0 Passing: 16-27, 298 yards 59.3% 2 TD's 0 INT's 176.41 QB rating. Rushing: 8 rushes for 53, 0 TD's.
It helps to watch the games guy. It's tough to argue a point when all you do is point to stats.

Vinny said:

It wasn't because of VY they scored 40. I was at the game. Amazingly, the Aggies D shut him down passing wise for the most part. The defense/special teams set them up for all the points. VY didn't play awful, but he wasn't the key to this victory like the Rose Bowl

Vinny said:

Not to nitpick, but the Big XII was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down this past season.

Back