The new Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by carrlover, Mar 26, 2007.

1. carrlover

carrlover Rookie

It seems like in the last few days all I have heard is who's gone, who's new. it sounds like to me that they have just deceided to clean house and start pretty much all over again, if your hurt you're gone, expecially if you are costing to much to sit on the bench. I hope that we can at least end the year a 500 team... we will see.

2. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I guess you would want your job to continue to pay you even if you cannot work? Yeah like that is going to happen, please leave and comeback when you checked into the real world.

3. carrlover

carrlover Rookie

no that is not waht i am saying, i agree that if you are hurt then we need to put the money into someone who can bring us results, all i am saying is that with all the players who have been there since day 1 that we can really turn this team around

4. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

At this point, I think it's more about change. Regardless of our record in '07, at least we won't be seeing the same old, tired mistakes we've been seeing. I'm personally happy to see lots of different arguements here on the boards. Some of us(I'm guilty at times) are still complaining about things that don't matter, but, overall, these threads are new and exciting. Great things could happen this year.

5. carrlover

carrlover Rookie

great things better happen this year!!!!!!

6. carrlover

carrlover Rookie

well it still pisses me off to hear it, the last time houston had a good football team is when we had the houston gamblers.... we need some wins

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

My job will pay me if I can't work... I can get full pay & everything for up to a year, then if I still can't work, I'd get a medical retirement. Not exactly 100% of my salary, but quite a bit, and I'm allowed to work as long as I'm not doing what I was medically unfit to do.

8. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

I don't care if you've been on this team a day or for five years, if you are not producing and are costing us money, it's time to go. I don't know any of these guys, they don't come to my house for poker. . . . I'm sure they are all fine people, but I want to win.

HuttoKarl likes this.

9. 281

281 Hall of Fame

honestly, i'm surprised you're still here. congrats.

10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I guess the Oiler teams of the late 80's and early 90's escape your memory. This town knows what a winner is and tolerates nothing less.

You have a good job. A lot of people can't count on that. It's kind of galling to see a sports figure make the money he does, with all the garauntees and watch people like policemen and firefighters struggle and have to get scond jobs. Not trying to make political commentary, but that's how I see it.

11. shanden

shanden Rookie

I think one of the reasons I can't stand baseball anymore is the guaranteed in full contracts.

Seriously how many players actually live up to those? The NFL system is a much higher motivator for staying on your game, due to releases, and guarantees being lower.

I think the only thing worse then baseball contracts are high level corporate America where the CEO's get amazing raises for the privilege of being fired or retiring. At least in baseball you actually have to play and if you get suspended or banned you lose salary.

12. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

So how many superbowls did these "great" teams win?

13. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

the Bills of the early 1990's didn't win any Super Bowls but they were considered a great team because they consistently made and went far in the playoffs. the Oilers of the late 80's-early 90's were a fun team to watch with the great defense and offense they employed. they didnt win any Super Bowls, but that didn't change my commitment at all.

14. Sco-tai

Sco-tai Veteran

Dirty Steve,

Thank you for responding to this idiotic message.

Many, MANY great teams missed the APEX of actually WINNING the SuperBowl.

Just ask the Cowgurls....they may only have a few ACTUAL SuperBowl wins...but if you ask their fans...they shoulda/coulda/woulda won 30+ IF so and so or this and that weren't out to get them.

:wild:

15. texun

texun Rookie

If you do something the same old way, you get the same old results.

The results of the Texans over the past 5 years are unacceptable - therefore, change is necessary. I like all the moves our FO is making, although only time will tell if Schaub is worth two second round picks. The talent upgrade has been significant.

Now if we just have a good draft to fill in some of the holes I can see us being very competitive this year. We are definitly moving in the right direction.

16. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

Feel free to call my message idiotic, but I can not call the oilers teams of the 80s/90s great. The Bills teams were great, they won the confernce easily but never could quite pull it off in the superbowl. The oilers however, had more talent and skill than just about any team in the NFL but always collasped/ choked early in the playoffs and did it with dramtic flare. Some might put the two teams in the same category, but I am not one of them.

17. rafterticket

rafterticket Veteran

Interesting post. I just don't find myself nostalgic or maudlin over the remnants of a 2-14 team. That was one filthy house.

18. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

I can't or won't put the Oilers of Pastorini, Campbell, Mauck, Johnson, Bethea in the same group as Moon, Givins, Jefferies, Jones.

To me, the older version was the best team to follow and be a fan of. The later version was gimmicky and full of "Me first" players. IMO.

DC got grief for dink and dunk, but the Moon-led Oilers were nothing but 5-7 yd routes.

19. OrangeCountyTexansFan

OrangeCountyTexansFan Veteran

Somewhere, in an alternate universe, pro atheletes are driving mini-vans while school teachers roll in BMWs.:yahoo:

20. Roughnecks

Roughnecks Veteran

But they made the playoffs year in and year out and all you hear on here is this Texans team better make the playoff soon, so if they start making the playoffs but no Superbowl do you turn on them. Those Oilers teams made the playoffs what 7 years in a row and I remember the house of pain rocking, I would be happy if our Texans made the playoffs 7 years in a row.