Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

There's no reason to trade Clowney, now. They can't get anything in return that will help the team for this season. Next offseason, sure.

Why the Texans aren't sniffing a Lombardi next yr. Might as well get max value for Clowney like the Raiders did with Mack.

Trading Clowney will go along way to achieving the real goal of the Texans org a Salary Cap championship.

Why the Texans aren't sniffing a Lombardi next yr. Might as well get max value for Clowney like the Raiders did with Mack.

Trading Clowney will go along way to achieving the real goal of the Texans org a Salary Cap championship.
Signing Clowney to a long term deal with elite guaranteed money would more likely put the Texans in cap hell. That does seem to be your agenda, though. I haven't seen a highly rated reject (read free agent) that you haven't wanted to see the Texans make the highest paid player at that position.

Signing Clowney to a long term deal with elite guaranteed money would more likely put the Texans in cap hell. That does seem to be your agenda, though. I haven't seen a highly rated reject (read free agent) that you haven't wanted to see the Texans make the highest paid player at that position.

If they were OL you would be correct. Signing Clowney wouldn't put the team in salary cap hell, they currently have the 2nd most cap space in the NFL. (Not that I want them to re-sign Clowney) this is just the bill of goods the Texans org has sold you to justify not spending cap space while Watson is on his rookie contract.

Hope you enjoy the beating Watson will be taking again this yr. No need to sign a 25 yr old improving player that started at LT for the current SB champ.

If they were OL you would be correct. Signing Clowney wouldn't put the team in salary cap hell, they currently have the 2nd most cap space in the NFL. (Not that I want them to re-sign Clowney) this is just the bill of goods the Texans org has sold you to justify not spending cap space while Watson is on his rookie contract.

Hope you enjoy the beating Watson will be taking again this yr. No need to sign a 25 yr old improving player that started at LT for the current SB champ.
I'm sure he will end up an All-Pro just like Solder and Norwell were in 2018. :spit:
I'm sure you will be too convinced of your opinion that you will continue to defend indefensible positions when your predictions are, again, predictably wrong.

I'm sure he will end up an All-Pro just like Solder and Norwell were in 2018. :spit:

I'm sure that he will be an upgrade over what will be protecting Watson this yr. as would Solder/Norwell. Particularly if Norwell comes back strong from offseason surgery.

I could be wrong but Texans and player cannot negotiate a deal other than what he has now as tagged player. Is it in rules to work out an agreement that agent will accept and then Texans shop that deal? For example,

JD's agent will accept six years $120 million (Mack $141) with $50 m GTD at signing (Mack $60 m). Signing $30 million (Mack $34). GTD money ends after third season with roster bonus possible afterward (Mack same with $5 m roster bonus final three seasons).

Texans go to other teams that have been mentioned as "interested" saying "give him this agent approved deal and we (Houston) will accept (fill in blank) in return.
My current understanding is even if traded Clowney for 2019 remains on the tag amount but I doubt any team would trade without having confidence he would be extended. No one would want him for just one season.

My current understanding is even if traded Clowney for 2019 remains on the tag amount but I doubt any team would trade without having confidence he would be extended. No one would want him for just one season.
Another poster explained that even though the Texans are precluded from negotiating a new contract with Clowney until after the conclusion of the 2019 season while another team Clowney might be traded to at this time is free to negotiate a contract.

Another poster explained that even though the Texans are precluded from negotiating a new contract with Clowney until after the conclusion of the 2019 season while another team Clowney might be traded to at this time is free to negotiate a contract.
Outstanding! Thanks for input. I had read article about Eagles IIRC saying if they traded for JD they would have to wait until end of 2019 season to extend.

Outstanding! Thanks for input. I had read article about Eagles IIRC saying if they traded for JD they would have to wait until end of 2019 season to extend.
Well I wish I could remember who it was but that's how he explained it to me and he seemed very knowledgeable and convincing in his explanation.

Are you still calling the Texans to complete a trade involving JD in the near term ?
I see only trades with two teams as possible trade partners. Raiders and Cardinals. Each would involve current roster players Plus 2020 first round picks. I have Raiders picking approximately number 6 and 28 (Bears). Cards #2 or 3.
I realized I have a higher value on JD than others. As of now I expect him to play for Texans this season.

This isn't good...

Tweet from @johngranato: Got it from a very reliable source that Clowney met with Texans last week and is now threatening to stay out entire preseason. He also refused to sign a long term contract with Miami so they backed out of a possible deal.

This isn't good...

Tweet from @johngranato: Got it from a very reliable source that Clowney met with Texans last week and is now threatening to stay out entire preseason. He also refused to sign a long term contract with Miami so they backed out of a possible deal.

Bad look on Clowney's part

This isn't good...

So Clowney is staying out one extra week? He will still be there for Week 1, right?

I guess O’Brien is ready to deal Clowney for a 2nd round pick. No way the Fins are giving up what may be a top 5 pick. Glad that didn’t happen.

Will be hard to trade him if he won't agree to a deal with a new team. Although not sure how that works since he can't sign now.

Will be hard to trade him if he won't agree to a deal with a new team. Although not sure how that works since he can't sign now.
Maybe we are starting to see now why there's been no success in the Texans agreeing to a contract with JD ?
Teams want him just as we do but it's just nobody so far is willing pay his asking price.

I've never been the biggest fan of the guy, but to be fair it wouldn't hurt an honest assessment to see him played in a more optimal fashion.
I hope I'm wrong. I better be wrong if the Texans trade Clowney. I just don't see the twitch or speed to rush the passer. Had Ejiofor not been injured, Mercilus might have had no role at all.

Trade his ass, get some assets and don't look back. He's just not consistent enough. He goes stretches of seasons without doing a ******* thing. Often times when he shows up it's in a detrimental fashion.

Good player but I'm not sure he ever did pan out to full potential. The money it's going to take to keep him is crazy town.

I’m truly risking every ounce of credibility I’ve built over the past several years on this. I did have a brief conversation through messages with Clowney earlier this evening. Wanting to confirm what i has been told. He directly told me "Yea, it’s true, I’m outta there"

— Texans Storm Report (@ThePatrickStorm) August 12, 2019

He also said "I couldn’t believe it myself" when I told him this was blowing my mind that it was true. If this turns out to be some elaborate hoax against me, I am not sure what my path forward would be. My dream has for a long time to be in sports media, and this is the risk I’m

Taking to get my name out there. I’ve worked hard to gain the trust of several current and former players, staff and others around the Texans. I’m a self made guy, not making a single penny on anything I’ve ever reported. I hope to change that some day!

Been a couple of hours. Need a 2nd source and I'm not finding one.

Heard the Eagles name mentioned in speculation. Would imagine Texans would ask for Dillard in return saving the Eagles their #1 to get their LT next year. Edit. Everything on the net is days/weeks/months old.

I hope I'm wrong. I better be wrong if the Texans trade Clowney. I just don't see the twitch or speed to rush the passer. Had Ejiofor not been injured, Mercilus might have had no role at all.

He's not as talented as Clowney. He can't set an edge, shed a block, or bull rush a Guard.

But he's a better pass rusher imo. More swivel, bend, can turn a corner, & has a real spin move.

If Jj is healthy enough to freelance like he should, I'd rather have a pure edge rusher on the other side.

If Jj isn't that guy anymore, I'd rather Clowney playing Jack LB, or whatever it's called.

Back