The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I'm usually pretty negative about players coming back from injury but for some reason, I believe in Clowney. I don't know why but the little voice in my head has said he's going to be fine and he's going to be special. Hopefully it's right.

2. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Here's the latest on what OB had to say about Clowney. It seems to be pretty much in line with the approach on bringing him back that has been discussed here - a cautious approach. At least I hope so.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Wonder what the extent of his running and where his rehab is at at this point ? Last I heard he was basically just jogging on the sidelines. So I would hope by now he's running in full stride or maybe even doing wind sprints ? We are 6 months post surgery, right ?

4. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13066474/houston-texans-hope-jadeveon-clowney-play-week-1
    Check out what former Broncos guard Mike Scharla has to say about Clownesys recovery. How would he know ? : he's had close to 20 knee ops including six (6) microfracture surgeries. That's right 6 !
    He says, and I'm paraphrasing here, even if Clowney is cleared to play in 6 to 8 months it's going to be an 18 month project. He says the Texans should work Clowney into the linbeup gradaually as a role player and maybe he can get back o normal or close to it in 2016 because it's going to be an 18 month process if he can do it.

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Mark Schlereth...

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I think most of us agree that, at least initially, Clowney should be on a "pitch count".
    And I don't doubt it will take longer than this off-season for Clowney to play without this knee bugging him somewhat.
    I just hope they don't rush him back.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Yeah, it sounds like they know what they're doing.

Wow... six. I wonder where they were in relation to his HOF career.

8. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Sounds to me like somebody needs to put O'Brien on the phone with Schlereth. He seems to me to be raising expectations while Stink is lowering them... from experience.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Really? Sounds like they're saying the same thing. OB is saying they hope Jadeveon will be able to practice with the team before week one or he won't play week one. & when he does come back, don't expect him to have a full load all of a sudden.

10. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Read the Cushing thread and the low opinions some have of Cushing's performance last season, following his surgeries. Expect the same for Clowney. He'll come back and play at some point this next season, but at a level that will be a disappointment to those who don't understand the length of time it takes to fully recover. I agree with the interview that it will be 2016 before Clowney will be capable of maximizing his post operative potential.

Marshall likes this.

11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I'm good with all of that. I expect him back at some point this year, but it might in a PS game, or it might be vs KC in the RS opener, but it may also not be until after 6 weeks into the RS if they need to PUP him. And when he gets back his service may be very spotty, just limited duty as a nickel edge-ruser role player, and he may not start a single game all year in the 2015 season. If that's what his year turns out to be, so be it, I can live with that. I want them to carefully manage JDs return to action for this season, just as all of us should learn to manage our personal expectations for his 2015 season.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

As long as we don't hear about his knee swelling up & having to drain fluid... I'll be happy.

Marcus likes this.
  13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I will be ecstatic if Clowney equals Cush's 72 tackles, a sack and a forced fumble

14. Marshall

Marshall Not pretty, but ALIVE!

I know the surgeries are different; but, the comments on Cushing this spring, a year away from initially playing, seem to parallel Clowney's. Now as I write this, I see the parallel is not lost on others as I see the later posts just above my response screen making the same comparison.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

16. Marshall

Marshall Not pretty, but ALIVE!

Except that it spurred thoughts of Cushing. But if you want only specific responses to ONLY your thought rather than a general conversation, I will stop responding to you altogether.

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

So if that happens, and gosh most of us sure hope it doesn't. But if it does does would that mean (A) it's what Scharla would call a 2-step back situation, and we need to rest Clowney for a game or so then have him resume his efforts to play this season, or is it much worse than that and likely (B) means at the very least he's gonna be very soon if not immediately IR'd for the 2015 season ?

18. welsh texan

welsh texan Site Contributor

19. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

I am going to be surprised if he starts the season on the active roster. This is probably the worst kind of knee surgery a player can have and being cautious is the only way to go on his return to the field.

20. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I don't think Clowny will ever be the same. But a Clowny at 3/4 ability is still better than most at full capabilities.