The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

[​IMG]

thunderkyss likes this.
  2. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

I wouldn't expect him to be in football shape. Early on, he would see only spot action, mainly rushing the QB on third downs. And this is assuming he'll get several weeks of non-contact training camp under his belt. Assuming he has no set backs, he'll be starting to round into shape the last half of the season. This is, IMO, a best case scenario.

Marshall likes this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Not pretty, but ALIVE!

I think the difference is in whether he'll need 2 weeks or two months of contact work in practice before getting in a game. Even at that point, he won't be in football shape.

4. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

If we can keep Clowney rested and healthy and allow him to play spot duty the first half of the season, he would be a well rested animal come the second half, just in time for the playoff push. I am all for going slow with his progress. Our defense managed without him last year and we should be even better with Wilfork and a healthy Cushing.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

He does not have to be in football shape to get on the field for a few plays. If full contact can begin after TC he has time prior to preseason games and the four weeks of preseason and then ten days before regular season. Six weeks of full contact should tell how he will perform.

6. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

I'm more in line with your thinking, but I don't think the Texans will take this approach if he doesn't have any setbacks. I'm thinking they will have him in a game sooner, rather than later.

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

:toropalm:

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

There's a reason none of us are managing an NFL Football franchise in any format or fashion.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Oh yeah!?! What is it? I was just talking to the maintenance man where I lived and he said I'd be great and he even smiled. So there!

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Right. I wasn't talking about you.

badboy likes this.

11. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

I'm ready to see Clowney and Cushing both dominating on the field. Our linebackers will once again become a strength on defense. People say we shouldn't expect much out of Clowney this season, and I'll tame my expectations for last year's number one overall pick even though our goals for him have to be set very high at some point. But Cushing says he is feeling as good as he has in a long time. That's a good sign for the former all pro.

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I don't want to see Clowney out there until he's ready to go full speed ahead.
    And I sure do wish he'd gotten those bone spurs taken care of while he had to be off his feet anyway.

13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

It's not an assumption it's a fact. Its the reason why teams are so secretive with injury info in the days leading up to games. Their waiting to see how players feel before they scratch them. Guys want to play and they are willing to at the very least forfeit years of quality living after they retire to do so. Hell, You JUST watched the ENTIRE Seahawk secondary play throughout the playoffs and SB with injuries that more often than not are fixed with surgery where most docs would've recommended they not try to play with; Earl Thomas with a torn labrum, Chancellor a torn meniscus and Sherman with torn ligaments in his elbow....I'm sure their team docs recommended that they not try to play with those injuries and warned them of all the risks of potentially worsening their situation. And surely no orthopededic surgeon would be on board with a guy going out & playing a viscious contact sport like football with a bum shoulder. At the end of the day though, they were all out there playing weren't they? Are you viewing the Seahawks team docs the same way?

I just don't see how you can sit and watch these guys every sunday go out there with all kinds of knee, arm and shoulder braces on their bodies and think that team doctors have very much say in whether these guys get back on the field or not. & when you sit back & look at guys like RG3, Phillip Rivers & Jerry Rice's situation years ago, you can't possibly still believe what you wrote. I mean, ok yes, when these guys have grotesque Joe theisman-like injuries to where they clearly are unable to perform and/or are putting themselves in danger by going back out there, team docs step in, but at the point its pretty obvious to everyone they can't play. Most all other injuries and stuff though, its mostly the player and coach. Now, that's not to say that the player will in fact get back on the field, but ultimately it is up to them.

As far as JD, If he's got any kind of love for the game & professional pride, he's chomping at the bit to get back out there. He'll likely downplay the amount of pain, tightness (to a point) and lack of confidence he may have in his knee to do that as wel

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  14. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

What you say is partially true. However, when it comes to getting their bell rung - meaning possible concussions - the team doc's word is law. The player can say all day long that "I'm fine, I'm fine" but if the doc thinks he had a possible concussion then player X has to sit until he passes all the concussion protocol stuff the NFLPA and the league has agreed to.

15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

This is correct, But it's really the only instance a team doc has the authority over the HC & player to sit a guy. All other situations are either obvious to everyone that a guy can't go, or is primarily a situation where the player has to be "convinced" by the doc that its not a good idea to try to play. Good luck with that. Jerry Rice literally sawed his cast off a full 2 weeks ahead of schedule and began working out against his doctors orders/wishes (& promptly cracked his knee cap the next year). RG3 hasn't looked the same since he finished off ripping up his knee against Seattle in the playoffs & Phillip Rivers was even more of a sitting duck in the pocket playing with a torn ACL in the playoffs against NE. No doctor worth his weight in salt would've allowed any of these guys to go back out & play given their individual situations.

16. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

OB on JD from Mike Silver's profile.

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I'm not worried about Clowney coming back, I expect him back on the field but certainly dunno when. He could be back for the Chiefs games the season opener or perhaps it will be later. My concern is how long does he remain on the field before he's hurt again or reinjures that knee ? That' what I'm worried about. If after the first several games back and he's able to function and perform and make a contribution to the defense I'm gonna be elated ! That would a significant achievement, but it'll be a real long season for JD. But let's not kid ourselves here, it's gonna be real dicey all the way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
  18. Marshall

Marshall Not pretty, but ALIVE!

If he goes straight to starting after getting cleared for full contact, then it really strains credulity when the coaches talk about the importance of Training Camp. Being cleared for full contact for the opener should not be confused with being ready and able to start or even play more than mop up minutes.

I hope there is at least a four week full contact period in practice prior to his getting significant time in a game. I'd much rather wait just a little longer to maximize his chances of being the playmaker for the longer haul we hoped he would be when we drafted him.

19. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

That positivity on Clowney is nothing new, but I always take note when Cushing praises someone. He doesn't do it lightly.

Brian Cushing sounded confident Clowney would live up to his potential. Was complimentary of how he's attacked his rehab.​

20. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

The other big news in Silver's piece: With regard to how the first overall pick of the 2014 NFL Draft is doing as he attempts to come back from microfracture surgery, O'Brien doesn't think Jadeveon Clowney will miss much, if any, of the 2015 season.

"I think he's gonna be there for the opening game (of the regular season) against Kansas City," O'Brien said. "I think he's going to make it back, and I'm really looking forward to that. He's working very hard to get back."http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/6...sion-on-texans-starting-qb-may-be-made-before
    ***** Billy is optimistic or atleast hopeful that Clowney starts the season vs KC, but how Silver gets from that to this: " O'Brien doesn't think Jadeveon Clowney will miss much, if any, of the 2015 season." I see nothing said by the HC that even implies that Clowney goes thru 2015 without missing much of the season ? That's why cocachs like O'Brien are reluctant to give the media or let their players give the media much of anything because they often take it and turn it into wildly exaggerated comments.
    But whenever Clowney first gets on the field be it TC or later I only hope he completes the year playing the games at the end of the season.