The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Clowney can only sign the franchise tag.

The deadline has passed. Same as if he's traded.

He can only play this year on the franchise tag. He cannot sign a new deal with the texans or anyone else until after this season.

Dont you remember the fuss around the deadline and him being offered a contract a couple weeks ago? If not then yeah, that's what that was all about.

He has two options at this point. Play this year under the franchise tag or sit out.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I keep coming back here to see if anything's happened, but it hasn't.

I think I'll start making up stuff just to see who blows up first.

3. xtruroyaltyx

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nf...ff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

Not sure what you're reading in the cba, but I'd look at it again more closely. This was widely reported by multiple reputable outlets so I'm gonna go ahead and take their word for it.

Have not heard one reputable source or even the Texans say that a deal can be worked out at this point.

And that is the leverage Clowney has as far as who he is willing to accept a trade to. If he doesn't like the team he could walk in the off season.

4. powda

powda Daycare at Demmin '45

Clowney traded for a 2nd round pick!

It's actually our pick we traded to Cleveland to take clowney...

:choke:

santo likes this.
  5. xtruroyaltyx

Exactly.

I dont think badboy is getting this.

6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

The way I read the CBA, he can sign a new contract for 2019 ONLY with the Texans but is free to negotiate a longer new term deal with any other team

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

As long as we still have a 3rd round pick so we can draft another injured college player we'll be right on target.

macho grande likes this.
  8. xtruroyaltyx

Nope.

He can do a wink wink with a team assuring them in the off season he'll sign a new deal but no matter what he is either playing this year under the tag or sitting.

That is what makes trading him more difficult now that the deadline has passed. That is why the team he is being traded to the feeling has to be mutual. Clowney wants to be there long term and they want him long term. And they have to trust each other that a deal will get done.

By the way, this is another poor move by the team. They likely could've gotten more by trading him before the deadline so he could've worked out a deal with a new team.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  9. powda

powda Daycare at Demmin '45

Or another te!

Thorn likes this.
  10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Your interpretation is yours of course, but disagrees with all I read prior to July 15

CWTexansFan and xtruroyaltyx like this.

11. xtruroyaltyx

Not really an interpretation. It's what has been widely reported and the only contradiction ive seen is from you and badboy.

No offense to you guys at all, but I'm going with what every nfl source nationally and locally has reported.

Edit: yes prior to the july 15th deadline he could've signed a deal with the texans or with other teams if traded. But since that deadline passed he cannot. It's why making a move with him before that was such a big deal.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

So you're saying I shouldn't believe this latest "report" as the anti-gospel?

13. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

He will have to sign the tender to be traded and once he does that his salary is locked in for 2019.

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

yes, for 2019

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I have provided actual words from the 2011 NFL collective bargaining agreement. You provide links to people like us. I will say I'm wrong when evidence from CBA is provided. Why hasn't Obrien simply said , Clowney cannot be traded. He can either sit out or play for us at the tag price? Seems rather simple if you are correct. OTOH if he were to say Clowney is being shopped that would benefit no one. IRRC wasn't that one of the reasons stated in the Miami alleged deal that up set Clowney? I believe what is confusing folks is that the Texans after the July deadline cannot negotiate with Clowney until the end of the 2019 season. Folks are then saying Clowney cannot negotiate with other teams. I have provided info from the CBA disputing that.

CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  16. xtruroyaltyx

Ok

Uncle Rico likes this.
  17. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

I've always believed when you have a star at a skill position you need another one at that position. As great as AJ was I always wondered what could have been with a viable #2. That’s why i leaned toward not trading him. But perhaps Reader is the more important piece in this puzzle. You seem to have the best solution to just let him walk next year so I guess the only decision is what round pick would you take this year to lose a year of his services? For me a two for sure.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 6:34 AM
  18. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

We are discussing an injured college player we drafted #1 overall. Irony?

19. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Trade wise yeah I wouldn't take less than a 2 unless it was part of a player package like Williams or such. If you can't trade him then play him this last year then see what we get compensation pick wise. Is it the best solution, no but at the same time I think its the best solution available to us. I really think they have been trying to trade him but haven't had any serious offers because, lets be honest, how many teams out there are going to look at Clowney and say "That's the final piece we need to make a SB run."

Here's the thing about Clowney, I personally have always found it very telling that his best year was the year JJ was out. I'm not saying he's lazy but I don't think he's going all out, all the time either. Clowney knows on the Texans with Watt he will always be second fiddle and I think he wants to be the Von Miller or JJ Watt for a team. That's not saying he's not still good but I think he falls back on his athleticism and natural gifts and doesn't push himself to the same level. You add in the time bomb that is his knee, no matter how many on here with zero medical knowledge claim its not an issue, and he's not worth what the Texans would have to pay to keep him.

Would I like Clowney to stay a Texan, yes. Am I going to be heartbroken and claim the sky is falling if he's not, no. My only fear is that the powers that be can't figure out what to do about him and just ignore the problem hoping it goes away.

CWTexansFan and Childress79 like this.
  20. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

Agree with your character attributes. Really, there is no way on Earth OB had anything to do with drafting this guy. In fact he seems to avoid talking about him too much. I believe his drafting...injured with ? marks lit the OB RS rift fuse. Fitzpatrick was signed I believe in March before the draft and wasn’t named starting QB until after the draft. I believe OB wanted a QB in that spot. The micro surgery operation was the boom!