The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

100 % incorrect in all aspects of his post. Only thing he can do is sit out and that would be devastating to him. He loses $16 million + any interest on what he doesn't spend. His knee is not getting better. He is maintaining at best. He [Pat] needs to read the CBA.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    CWTexansFan and maverick512000 like this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Clowney is going to play this year. Sitting out doesn't have anything to do with what he's talking about.

The leverage he's referring to has to do with teams that want to trade for him or teams that Texans would want to trade him to.

3. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

4. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Why couldn't he sign a LTD with a new team now? Makes no sense to me. Nobody is going to trade for him unless they can sign him long term.

CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  5. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Sports writer with his own site

6. gs27

gs27 Hall of Fame

He can agree to a long term deal with any other team right now. The Texans have first right of refusal, meaning if they don't match offer, the texans receive two 1st round picks from the other team, unless that compensation is negotiated down. Teams can negotiate a long term deal with Clowney at the same time as negotiating down the compensation to the Texans. If rumors are true the Dolphins agreed with the Texans to the pick compensation, however Clowney refused the long term contract the Dolphins were offering.

CWTexansFan, JB and Porky like this.
  7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Been saying since last year. Clowney holds ALL the leverage. Guys here think the team has the position of strength because they pay him? HA!

https://torotimes.com/2019/08/13/houston-texans-jadeveon-clowney-and-trade-rumors/

CWTexansFan likes this.
  8. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

Leading up to the draft, the #Texans called a few teams with hopes to move up in the 1st round by flipping their pick + Clowney.

As far as I could gather, just him alone was bringing back a day 2 asset in return. With where things stand now, have to imagine that hasn’t improved

— Connor Rogers (@ConnorJRogers) August 13, 2019

CWTexansFan and badboy like this.
  9. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

Clowney is being shopped, wrote it yesterday and the great @McClain_on_NFL would be shocked if he was NOT traded. Solving the Texans requirements for the trade (they will be reasonable) won't be hard for teams, solving the money for Clowney will be.

— Michael Lombardi (@mlombardiNFL) August 13, 2019

CWTexansFan likes this.
  10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

My plan:

#1 Twilliams: We trade our 2020 remaining third +our 2021 second which is the DBrown deal with Washington keeping their 5th. We still have our first and second round 2020.

#2 We trade Clowney to Raiders for OLB Maxx Crosby whom I mocked pre draft. We also get Raiders two 2020 firsts. Their own is projected from 6th to 10th without JD and with him (it depends on Raiders thinking he makes them better) dropping that selection lower. Their second via Chicago projected 25th. Results we have three firsts.

Now we have TWill whom we offer an extra $10 m in 2019 only to discourage PATs and other offers if any. He has his current two year deal also extended four years making him a just turned 36 in last non GTD year. I believe I have posted a suggested package for him similar to Trent Brown's elsewhere. He would earn his current base $10.9 + our extra $10 for $21 million. Leaving us $17 million space plus CLowney's $16 m= $27 m.

#3 We now have Raiders 1. 10 or a bit lower our own 1.? and Raiders (Bears) 1.25; offer 1.25 plus our 2021 first round plus CB Lonnie Johnson to Jags for Ramsey. Jags then have DJ Hayden, Lonnie Johnson and Tre Herndon to play opposite Bouye. They also have their own 2020 first plus the Raider/Bears first to select from several available good corners. They can extend DE Yannick Ngakouye without listening to Ramsey for two more seasons. They also have two firsts now in 2021.

We can offer Ramsey his choice of top five deals for example Josh Norman's deal in 2016 per OTC
    ** NOTE Norman's first contract year was base $5 million + 3 year prorated bonus to count only $8 million against salary cap. Ramsey's current 2019 base is $3.6. IOWs he would go to $5 m & have a $15 m signing bonus in hand with a cap hit of $8 m. Texans at $27 [post Clowney and after including Williams] - $8 m Ramsey = $19 million remaining cap.

Summary: we have LT Trent Williams 7 time pro bowler locked for 6 more seasons. We have Jalen Ramsey one year ALL PRO plus a second year pro bowler to play opposite Joseph moving Roby to Slot plus keeping others fresh. We have OLB Crosby whom I think could start sometime 2019 opposite Watt. We have Raiders first which should be 16 or higher plus our own which you have at 15 and I think will be closer to 28 with these two additions. We are now the go to place for players. We still have $19 million cap. We are in win now and win future mode.

CWTexansFan likes this.

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

[
    This seems to contradict the Toro article posted above. Thanks for posting zshawn10

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Signing period for the tender ended mid-July

13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

If he is traded a long term deal can be done with a new team

CWTexansFan and badboy like this.
  14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

JB I don't understand exactly what you're asking. Signing date to accept the franchise offer was as you stated mid-july. Signing with another team through trade can be done as late as a date in October. Two different things.

15. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

Devlin has to go. The Astros bring in overlooked pitchers (like Morton) and they leave here as studs. We do the opposite. We bring in average players and immediately make them look like flaming dog ****

16. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

If O’Brien is given the green light to trade Clowney, that shows that OB has a lot more power than we think

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

After the season.

18. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Exactly! Sometimes I wish Crane or Fertitta would make Cal an offer the McNair family just can’t resist. I bet they’d hire the right people to steer this ship in the right direction. I wonder what they would do about this situation with Clowney?

281Texan likes this.
  19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

No. Up until October trade deadline. Read CBA. After October if he doesn't report Clowney loses a year of NFL eligibility as well as his entire check. Texans continue to hold his rights for next season.

20. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

They had to move him before July 15 they botched that and now they will get 10 cents on the dollar if they trade him, because teams aren't giving them high picks for a guy they could lose in a year. The only chance the Texans have to get value for him in a deal is if a team is doing a wink wink deal that they will pay him after this season.

ATXtexanfan and xtruroyaltyx like this.