The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

NFL collective bargaining agreement section 8 page 12

this is what I base my opinion on.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 1:10 PM
    CWTexansFan likes this.
  2. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Clowney is gone.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

? based on what?

4. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

Yep

— Benjamin Allbright (@AllbrightNFL) August 13, 2019

confirmed that Clowney not only being shopped, but source tells him they will do everything in their power to move him this year.

CWTexansFan, ATXtexanfan and powda like this.
  5. gs27

gs27 Hall of Fame

Clowney is free to negotiate with any team while under the tag. If a team gives Clowney an offer sheet that Clowney agrees to and the Texans do not match, the offering team must give the Texans two 1st round picks, which can also be negotiated. Miami very well could have come to an agreement with the Texans to only compensate one 1st round pick but Clowney did not accept the offer sheet from the Dolphins. Two things need to happen, Texans need to accept terms from trade partner and Clowney needs to accept terms of new contract. Clowney does not have to first sign the tag before the offer sheet is presented from another team they can both be happening at the same time.

Sports writers really shouldn't talk about stuff if they don't understand it.

thunderkyss, CWTexansFan and TheKDog like this.
  6. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

Dolphins might have a starting left guard, a tale of two first-rounders, and what about Clowney? https://t.co/qeHg7ubkOe

— Alex Mena (@alexmenamiami) August 13, 2019

CWTexansFan likes this.
  7. gs27

gs27 Hall of Fame

FWIW, my SWAG is that the Texans are trying to get a probable early 2020 1st round pick for Clowney, which they would use to add a cornerback before the season in another trade. Possibly send Clowney trade pick to Arizona to get Peterson in a sign and trade deal. I know most don't believe it, but IMO the Texans are doing everything they can to get better next season. Problem is they need another team to offer a contract Clowney will agree to.

Ax that Peterson is suspended 6 games, some other corner than LOL

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 1:52 PM
  8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

CLowney was given a non-exclusive tag with Houston maintaining right of first refusal allowing other teams to negotiate contract with him. An 'exclusive tag' would have eliminated other teams from talking to him period. TO clarify
    2011 CBA

CWTexansFan and powda like this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

I don't think other teams can negotiate with Clowney at this point.

I could be wrong though.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

And outside the signing period?

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

AS I posted in college forum thread we could give our own 2020 & 2021 firsts for Ramsey and keep what we get for Clowney.

12. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

That's a lot for Ramsey, I mean he's good but that's a whole lot. Would Ramsey make us better yeah sure but I don't think he is the missing piece we need for a SB run given how many holes are still in the offense. You're trading a lot of draft capital away for a guy that isn't going to be what gets us over the hump.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

AS I posted in college forum thread we could give our own 2020 & 2021 firsts for Ramsey and keep what we get for Clowney.

Signing period ends in October.

14. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

CWTexansFan and powda like this.
  15. maverick512000

Personally I never really saw the Dolphins as really interested, they are in full rebuild mode and first piece in a rebuild, unless your the Texans, is a QB not a defense player. Could still be surprised but I think they would prefer to keep that high pick of theirs.

CWTexansFan and badboy like this.
  16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Do not agree. Ramsey was ALL PRO first year and in a "down second year" was pro bowler. He will be to CB what Trent Williams is to LT. My plan is to have both. Note my post says start with Lonnie Johnson and 2020 first and go up to adding a 2021 first which allows quite a few options in between. I wouldn't take a first for Ramsey if I were the Jags but add in a second round, big, fast CB and I'd come to the negotiation table.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

well sure--now that he is allegedly said no to LTD with Miami.. lol

18. maverick512000

Again I agree that Ramsey is good but we are dealing with a division rival, so they are already going to make you bleed as much as possible, and there is a fair chance that Texans will be drafting top 15 next year and God only knows what 2021 will look like. You would basically have to give up two 1sts and a 2nd, in the form of Johnson, and the guy you get is still not going to be the thing that makes you a SB contender. I understand about having Williams and Ramsey but we are also about to have a lot of contracts come up so, your the numbers guy, how do we sign both of those for what will be high dollar contracts, keep Watt, Nuk, Watson and maybe Fuller and not go into cap hell. By contrast we can take the draft picks and turn them into cheap rookies that can still be play makers.

I guess the real question is are we in win now mode or not. If we are your plan is the better choice, if we aren't then its just going to hurt us long term. Personally I think we missed the "win now" window last year.

19. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

@PatDStat: @Zepp1978 If they wanted to deal him with him@having no say, they should have done it last season. Now, Clowney has leverage. He has no contract. He controls everything. Any team trading for JD would be foolish. Can’t sign a long term deal until after the season.

CWTexansFan and Uncle Rico like this.
  20. gs27

gs27 Hall of Fame

Another guy who has no idea what the **** he is talking about. Any team trading for Clowney can negotiate any contract they want with him. Who is that clown?

CWTexansFan likes this.