Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Is there any solid, confirmed info on what Clowney is asking for?

2. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Only that he wants to be paid like a DE, not an OLB. But no specific numbers

steelbtexan likes this.
  3. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Where was that reported?

4. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Furthermore, while Clowney has been an impactful player, he doesn't quite have the kind of sack numbers that most elite pass rushers generate. He's never eclipsed the 10-sack mark in a single season.

That said, Clowney is a special player who plays one of the most important positions in football. He graded out asPro Football Focus' ninth-best edge defender last year.He's also only 26 years old. If he plays out the upcoming season under the tag and posts similar numbers (18.5 sacks over the past two seasons), he should get a long-term contract from somebody. Of course, the Texans could always tag him again, but by that point, they should have a new general manager who might want to make a decision regarding Clowney's long-term future.

Either way, the 2019 season should be the most important season of Clowney's career as he chases a lucrative long-term contract.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ct-with-texans-before-franchise-tag-deadline/
    I dunno wonder what kind of conditioning JD will put in on his own in the offseason before he arrives in Houston ?
    And I don't expect him to play a snap before the RS begins but it certainly behooves him to get some contact work in along with atleast a couple quarters of
    preseason ball before we go for real in NOLA early in September.

5. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

https://kfgo.com/news/articles/2019...texans-agreement/916380/?refer-section=sports

One area of disagreement between Clowney and the Texans is their listing of him as a linebacker/defensive end.

A defensive end can expect to make $17.13 million, while linebackers would earn $15.44 million, USA Today and other outlets have reported, citing NFL numbers. It is unclear which figure Clowney would receive.

That disparity came into play when Clowney was unhappy with the team for exercising his fifth-year option before the 2018 season. ESPN reported that the Texans paid Clowney a $1 million bonus after the season to account for the difference.

6. infantrycak

That report is off. They agreed to split the difference in the 5th year well before last season.

That's a well travelled path at this point. Clownry would lose (5th year or franchise). The NFL would examine the number of snaps and apportion. In terms of a long term deal it's irrelevant. He's not going to get the #1 OLB contract anyway. Not even close.

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Does anyone really care anymore? Clowney won’t be with Texans long term anyway. Each side will extract what they can from the other and move on, its business. :handshake:

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

There has been zero information from Clowney's Camp as to dollars, years or GTD that he wants. I really respect him for this. He has not been disruptive with comments against his current employer as other NFL vets have been. I continue to bring up the Raiders which I think is the perfect team for JD to go to and for the Texans to get a great package. In Vegas, he could be the face of the defense; not so in Houston where he will never replace JJ Watt. RB Josh Jacobs, the 2020 first Raiders get for Mack, 4.106 OLB Maxx Crosby and 4.129 CB Layne Johnson from U of H (true corner while our Lonnie Johnson more likely a safety) is a good package for both teams. In my opinion, Raiders made a huge error in not quickly signing Jacobs to the four years fully guaranteed deal that he ended up getting this week. " sorry our bad" will not be quickly forgotten by the rookie. In my opinion Jacobs would be great running back in either City. However Raiders desperately need to improve the sack total. Without a JJ type player on Raiders, Clowney sack total could be 15 or higher. His run stopping skills would be greater appreciated there also

9. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

If OBrien gets fired they could sign him

PapaL likes this.
  10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

My point was hopefully some team's need will fuel the trade & not the Texans PR.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. BOBdaFRAUD

BOBdaFRAUD Veteran

Trade for melvin gordon........... straight up? One year rental. Maybe beg for a 4 rounder.

Clowney not gonna sign here. Whey the hell would he? He knows BOB does not have his interest in mind. No discounts here baby!

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Likelihood of O’Brian firing slim to none.

NastyNate likes this.
  13. infantrycak

What were the odds on Gaine getting fired?

disaacks3, NastyNate and thunderkyss like this.
  14. Lucky

Lucky Moderator Staff Member

One year rental? Gordon would just sit out on the Texans without a new deal.

infantrycak likes this.
  15. Pharaohcious

Pharaohcious Veteran

So the scenario is gonna be... Texans start season... Clowneys holds out... O'Brien gets fired at 0-2 start of regular season... Clowney comes back... Season ends... Caserio becomes GM...signs Clowney?

16. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Only in your own head.

CWTexansFan and ATXtexanfan like this.
  17. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Caserio cant be gm until after the draft and if OBrien is gone why should we even bring him in?

CWTexansFan and thunderkyss like this.
  18. infantrycak

There's no guarantee the Patriots will want to keep him thru the draft.

Wtf on why bring him in? To hopefully have a top GM for the future. Just because you csn muddle by doesn't mean you pass up improvement.

CWTexansFan and Pharaohcious like this.
  19. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Hey Cak what's you thoughts on the Pats asking price for Caserio ? Would a second round pick secure him for the Texans ?

20. infantrycak

No idea what they'd take. That's the absolute most I'd offer or I'd wait.