The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

I too think he will play. He’s never been one to say much anyway. I just see no advantage to him to sit out unless he is a little worried. I’ve never seen a player situation like this one. From the Texans perspective it’s like having a beautiful successful girlfriend...that is HIV positive. There are tremendous forces in opposition here.

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yes! As I posted long ago, like Clowney and want him here barring a very good trade benefiting team. Texans have upper hand and using it wisely. I'm a player guy but team is ultimately whom I root for. Barring a pick up or two off season is over, time to root for what we have looking forward to T.C.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

just to clarify, And knee injury nowhere near JD's history. He wouldn't have had same concerns.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Brown sustained a Grade I MCL tear last Dec.........an injury once healed having no future implications.

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

And
    how much can you get for 1 million dollars?

6. CloakNNNdagger

It's not that simple.....specifically for Clowney. There are typical standard potential "exclusions" or "limitations" to such "loss of value" insurance policies.:

- Pre-existing injuries or illnesses

- Degenerative conditions

- Osteoarthritis

- Psychological disorders

- Alcohol or illegal substance abuse

- Criminal acts

Most are capped at $3-10 million. Most loss-of-value insurance is written through Lloyd’s of London. At one point in time, I carried a Loyd's loss of value policy on my hands. For football players, Lloyd’s International Specialty Insurance describes the coverage as:

steelbtexan likes this.
  7. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

So in other words it’s a stupid suggestion?

steelbtexan and thunderkyss like this.
  8. CloakNNNdagger

Not a stupid suggestion necessarily. Just probably not the level of long term "protection" that Clowney at this point in time with his injury history feels he is worth. It's like any accident insurance..........based on risk...........the greater the accident history, the more expensive the coverage.........and the more restrictive the coverage.

steelbtexan likes this.
  9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Bunny trail, didn't Lloyds almost go out of business few years ago? IIRC a bankruptcy?

10. CloakNNNdagger

That was more than a few years ago........~ mid 1990s. That was due to the asbestos debacle........and due to the way Lloyds liability was poorly spread through it's investors. They are now totally restructured (widely distributing risk) so that bankruptcy would virtually be an non-issue.

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Wow never thought that long ago, was thinking 8-10. I did know they had recuperated

12. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

I just told someone yesterday that I didn't see Clowney showing up until week 1 and then the report came out that its unlikely for him to show up until the end of camp. I don;t blame any player who gets franchised if they choose to go this route its just too financially risky for them to risk getting injured in practice on a 1yr deal like that

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans have never worked the top veteran guys that hard in camp. I get what he's doing. But, I would advise Clowney to get in camp and get in football shape. Playing out of shape is more of a danger to him, long term.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I see JD holding out till game one or preseason game 4. Not playing this season does not make him healthier or make his issues go away.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  15. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

Cecil Shorts said yesterday that his info is Clowney shows up in September. So he will hit his stride in October, this sucks with our schedule

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is the most likely outcome.

Another slow start for the team is likely.

17. CloakNNNdagger

OTAs and TC all serve even veterans to better get into football shape AND work on sync and timing (and improving or expanding moves)..........all points that would be important for Clowney. If he doesn't show up for these activities, his chances for suboptimal performance (especially for the 1st quarter of the season) and re-injuries/extended and accelerated degenerative injuries/compensatory injuries all rise to unacceptable levels.

18. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

What exactly are his "issues"?

So Jadeveon Clowney .. the guy who hasnt missed a game in what now 2 years? Is going to be questioned about staying in shape? LMAOOOOOO. This place never ceases to amaze. A guy who was the #1 pick, who has fought back from an injury MANY HERE said he would never come back from, HERE where you have guys are pronouncing his impending injury with glee and acting as if you are some sage shaman who can see into the future or offer any input other than an opinion ARE GOING TO QUESTION WHETHER JADEVEON CLOWNEY IS STAYING IN SHAPE!?!?? LMAOOOOOO. The guy who's been on consecutive Pro Bowl teams is going to have guys question his work ethic now? Too good!

Please God just trade this guy for a 5th rounder and a copy machine. Texans fans dont deserve nice things.

mussop and CWTexansFan like this.
  19. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Battle Red Blog, a Houston Texans community.
    https://www.battleredblog.com/2019/...pdate-rumors-about-when-hell-report-to-texans
    Jadeveon Clowney Update: Rumors About When He’ll Report To Texans.
    Certain news stories reach a point where you’ll believe any absurd twist or serpentine bend they may take. This story about Jadeveon Clowney is not one of those stories. This story is boring, exhausting, and needs to come to an end already.

After the sides were unable to agree to terms on a contract extension, the Texans franchise-tagged Jadeveon Clowney for the 2019 season. Since then, things have cooled off and gotten constipated. Clowney will either (1) play under the franchise tag after sitting out training camp (the most likely scenario if the team doesn’t come to a long term agreement with him before camp starts), (2) get traded for a first round pick that won’t help the team this year and/or a player who can’t help the team as much as Clowney will, or (3) both sides come to an agreement that results Clowney getting extended and happy, participating in training camp, and feeling ready to make opposing offenses pay when the 2019 season begins.

Former Houston Texan Cecil Shorts III (if she thinks Shorts III is a Texan and not a Jaguar, she’s too young for you), who probably has some inside information, made a report of his own. Sports Radio 610, where Shorts announced what he heard, posted the following:

While OTAs are a voluntary program, sources close to Clowney told SportsRadio 610’s Cecil Shorts that if a deal isn’t reached by the July 15 deadline, the Pro Bowl edge rusher is prepared to sit out until Week 1.

”We should not expect him until September,” said former Houston Texans wide receiver, Cecil Shorts.”That would be Week 1 of the regular season.”

“[The Texans] are offering him a long-term deal, from what I am hearing, it’s linebacker type money and [Clowney] wants a long-term deal with defensive end type of contract,” Cecil Shorts said. “That’s the biggest difference between the two sides, right now, is linebacker money and defensive end money. What does he think he should get and what are they offering.”

Clowney is in the right on this one. He’s a defensive end, not an outside linebacker, and really he can just be classified as an EDGE. If the Texans want to keep him around long term, haggling over $2-$4 million per year really doesn’t seem like it makes much sense.

Hopefully this all gets resolved soon, especially since Clowney was rusted and invisible until Week Four last season after missing all of training camp due to his recovery from offseason knee surgery. With the Texans’ upcoming schedule, they’ll need Clowney to contribute right away

CWTexansFan and thunderkyss like this.
  20. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

I am not sure who you are grinding on, but JDC had no contact until the season started last year and HE even admitted it takes a bit to get timing and moves and football shape (used to being hit) under his belt. To act like you come off the street no matter what you do in the gym and expect to be full sailing is full BS