The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

He's just terrible at guessing what the Texans are going to do... he has no insider knowledge like he did with the Oilers

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

JMO, but four million($20 -16 now) would not get JD's Sig as he wants 3 times your twenty mill. The team already has an option for 2020 at about 20. You are just pushing the four up and adding four to projected 2020 tag. Total of 8 increase for both seasons.. He doesn't want team to, option him that's the problem. I believe Gaines would and probably has offered a two year guarantee with some limitations for injuries/games played but again JMO.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Looks like they are being very smart and using risk versus value in keeping Clowney. You are correct in all those expiring deals or cuts that could also include Kelemete, Henderson, Martin and Fulton. I also expect Robey to be gone. My issue are we preparing their replacement? This draft says attempt was made for some of those. UDFAs should impact others. We have at least 4 picks in 2020 top three rounds and at least one should be replacement for Clowney. Watson is under Texans control for three seasons and could be a HOFer or injuries could stop him or any guy for that matter. Money will be there for him. Watt at 32 will play his last year of contract in three years. I don't see him getting astronomical bucks if re-signed. All is well with cap. I just wished all was well with our coaching.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I can hear it now season opener, “pay that clown, pay that clown, pay that clown” chanting after his second or third sack of the game and it only gets louder :clown:

CWTexansFan likes this.
  6. KA4Texan

KA4Texan Clueless Wonder

Better the fans chanting than a sharpie and his feet.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They have the 2nd most cap space in the NFL. They are in great cap shape at the expense of the on the field product. In fact if they aren't in great cap shape now they never will be.

disaacks3 likes this.
  8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

How much cap space is left if they sign Clowney to current market?

9. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

OTC says we have $41m left with Clowney down for $16m, so another $4-6m probably on top of that.

10. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

If it was his third sack, I'd be doing it too.
    Then again, he's never had a 3-sack game in his career, and only had 5 2-sack games period.

I'll take the under.

AngryNateFTW likes this.

11. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

I like having JDC on the team. As long as it's not long term or an amount that blows our cap, I'd sign him. But I can think short term because I'm not responsible for the ramifications.

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I agree that they are in excellent cap space. That is the reason why they are in a strong position regarding Clowney. They can simply franchise tag him (twice if desired) without any problem. This power position can be used to either sign him to a long term deal structured so they can escape it relatively pain-free if needed, or they can utilize an elite athlete on a franchise tag who is determined to prove his worth.

HaveMercy likes this.
  13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Hope things work out this way.

HaveMercy likes this.
  14. HaveMercy

I hope JDC is able to make plenty of money, keep his legs until he's ready to retire, then have good health and mobility throughout the years.

15. HaveMercy

He hasn't reached a lot of folks high expectations, but he's gone through things that would have made lesser men quit. In spite of it all, he's a very solid player and we've been better with him here.

CWTexansFan and mussop like this.
  16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Why would he lose endorsements? He'd probably be able to get more commercials & events in if he sits our a year.

Let's say he plays, collects $17M, has a great year & earns a 4 year contract with $60M guaranteed.

Let's say he plays on the tag, gets hurt, same knee ends his playing career. He collected $17M. Lost $60M.

We have no idea if either scenario will play out. But we can make educated guesses.

However, I think Clowney is confident in his knee, a lot more than our members are. I don't think he'll sit out thinking about that knee anymore than Antonio Brown was worried about injury.

17. Sonny

Sonny TexSon Proud

Has Clowney publicly mentioned whether or not he likes being tagged and if he's considered sitting out?

Well, obv he'd 'rather' have a longer and grander contract so, I guess I'm asking if he's pissed or not.

I haven't read everything in here so, if someone can toss me a quick recap, I'd appreciate it.

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

There has been relative silence on the part of the Texans..........and even more remarkable silence from Clowney's camp.

Sonny likes this.
  19. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

Take the $17m, spend $1m on a Lloyds of London contract to protect from injury. Then play some football! Break the bank next year or repeat

CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Exactly!