The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I don't want JD near a field until has to be there whether he's a Texan or elsewhere due to trade. Let's not take a chance of injury. IMO, he has earned his four year money regardless of him being what we want from a 1.1

CWTexansFan, mussop and DocBar like this.
  2. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Yea if it's a '19 second round pick then that's about right.

JB likes this.
  3. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Rookie

I'm reminded of an old baseball adage: it's better to trade a guy a year too early than a year too late. IF traded, Clowney probably won't bring as much in trade this year as we'd like, plus he may go on to have a really good year elsewhere. But what if he's reinjured or declines a lot there. Then, in hindsight, we might be happy to have gotten what we did in trade.

4. 281Texan

281Texan Rookie

I’d love to know what he’s asking and what we’re offering. Depending on what he’s asking, it’s probably making it impossible to trade him because teams would be skeptical about giving him that huge contract

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

You think all clowney is worth is a mid second round pick?

6. House of Pain

House of Pain Knee-jerkless

If you are looking at his skills and potential upside, I'd say no. If you take into account his injury history and the potential affect on his longevity and future injuries, I can see that. I would like a low round pick (5th or after) this year (or next year) as well.

7. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Sorry that’s not = value. Minimum of 1300 points on the value chart or I’m riding him till that knee gives out.

badboy, CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  8. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

And that is what is lowering his value, that ride could end in the next game or in 5 years. Teams don't know so unless you find a real gambler for a trade partner I think a mid round second with maybe something like a 4th-6th is about the best you can do.

9. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

A trade partner who's willing to roll the dice ? Who fits that profile ? Jerry Jones, but he's already screwed up so many times with risky edge rushers who were wife beaters, or pot heads, or whatever ? Of course JD has no such off field issues, he's just a good guy, a good teammate with shixxt knees.
    Who else might take a chance on Clowney ?

10. 281Texan

281Texan Rookie

I wouldn’t take anything less than a first this year for clowney. He’s done everything we’ve asked off the edge we just need him sacking the QB more. But I feel like this year could be a breakout year for him. I want to see crennel put him in a wide-9 technique outside of the tackle and let him speed rush around the edge. He’s obviously strong, but he’s not JJ. He’s not going to power rush through a double team and get in the backfield. He needs to use that speed off the edge to get around guys then make his PR move to either get inside or around the tackle. Create as many one on one opportunities as possible. We had him at a five technique on a lot of plays and I just don’t understand that

11. 281Texan

281Texan Rookie

I’d say the Jets, Eagles, Falcons, Chiefs, and Seahawks would be the likely buyers on the clowney market. Jets have the cap to give him a new deal and the draft capital. My fear is the market won’t open up until after the draft when teams miss out on their guys. The chiefs at this time don’t have any pass rush guys outside of Chris Jones who is more of an interior rusher. Same with Jets they have no edge players. And the falcons coveted clowney, they took Vic Beasley but he hasn’t lived up to the hype. I haven’t kept tabs on how takk has done for them

otisbean and maverick512000 like this.
  12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Depending on how Russell Wilson's new contract works, his 2019 cap hit pretty much chewed up their $10 million space for this year.

13. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

Chad Forbes@NFLDraftBites

League Wide Rumor Jadeveon Clowney is available. And if trade / extension were feasible, Agent would direct to sign Franchise Tender. Interest isn't there... Yet. One team lurking is #Chiefs. Still expect Clowney delivers a pedestrian 2019 to Texans & preps for 2020 Free Agency.

3:54 PM - Apr 16, 2019

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

thanks for posting. I think "interest" increases day of draft and things start settling in for all. Clowney has to realize he probably isn't getting anywhere near what he wants & an indication of that subtle or not will perk up interest. Gaines just has to sit tight as he has so far.

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

The bold is sheer stupidity. You don't up your value by being pedestrian.

16. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Still expect Clowney delivers a pedestrian 2019 to Texans & preps for 2020 Free Agency.????

What the hell does that mean? Is he suggesting Clowney is going to slack off? Who is this DBag? Why would he even add that nugget?

17. 281Texan

281Texan Rookie

Texans working out Montez Sweat. I know we’re all talking about OL/DB. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we took an edge rusher really early

18. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

There’s a good chance we do. I could easily see the top 4 OL and the top 3 CBs gone by 23. If a top pass rusher is still available and we can’t trade down it’s very likely. Don’t sleep on Brian Burns. I could also see us going for interior pass rush guys like Lawrence or Simmons.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 10:02 AM
  19. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Also could see us go outside the conventional thinking and go with a CB like Love, Mullen, layne or Long.

20. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

I agree with your line of thinking.

Maybe Gaine will break with tradition and select DE Jerry Tillery. That would be a stunner.

I'd prefer Clelin Ferrell but he should be gone by #23.

If their choices of O linemen are gone I wouldn't mind a trade down.

:coffee: