The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I think he also played a signifcant role in getting Warren Moon in the HOF. But the way he talks about players getting into the HOF it sounds like the process is not that much unlike in Washington DC where a guy supports spending legislation for ones district then reciprocates by supporting the others spending bill. In other words selection to the HOF is not based on meritocracy but rather it's a political process.
    MCCains stories about the oldtimers are often entertaining and sometimes even insightful.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

When the Texans started McLain was on the NFL generally and did have around the league contacts. Then they made him Texans specific and it cut his travel wahoos down. He was pissy for a while. But he did have some Casserly contacts. Then Kubiak came and shut that down. He got pissy again and was anti-Texan for a while. Without any insider info his lack of analyst skills was exposed. Over time he got over it and seems to have taken a fu@k it attitude more than pro Texan imo.

3. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

McLain writes and tells good stories. His analysis and reporting has been exposed in the modern era.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Hahaha..so sorry. When I typed that something didn't sound right. Thanks for correcting.

JB likes this.
  5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

This and he got sidetracked with his acting. 610 only made it worse playing up to him droning on and on about his credits. The programs spent eons talking movies and annual Academy Awards. I called once years ago comparing them to WWF(now WWE) not really a sport but great talkers. I think I was shortest comment in radio history. Also why did he get moniker "the General"?

steelbtexan likes this.
  6. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

7. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

8. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

I honestly couldn't care less if this guy is with the team long-term or not.

Should have drafted Mack.

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Because the Texans don't need pro-bowl caliber players or apathy is the way of life?

PapaL, mussop and 281Texan like this.
  10. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

He's always disliked Clowney.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Understand, but thought everyone on this board (other than trolls) wanted what was best for Texans

mussop and steelbtexan like this.
  12. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

KA4Texan, steelbtexan and JB like this.
  13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He really dislikes anything Pats related success.

14. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Because he's not nearly as good as people think he is, frequently does unintelligent things on the field, disappears for large swaths of games/seasons, is somewhat fragile, yet is going to command an absolutely ridiculous amount of money compared to his value and performance.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

He wouldn't command that money if he was as bad as you seem to think

CWTexansFan, steelbtexan and mussop like this.
  16. 281Texan

281Texan Rookie

This is one circumstance where either side of the aisle could make a very convincing and viable argument towards their case. On one hand, yes, Clowney is not on that Donald/Mack/Watt/Von level that many thought he would be. He’s had an injury history, and doesn’t have the sack numbers to back up his argument as a top edge rusher, what we drafted him to be. On the other hand, he’s still a very good player, he’s just now getting healthy, and is finally developing into the player we drafted him to be. You definitely don’t want your former first overall pick in the draft to walk in their prime for nothing, but you don’t want to hitch your wagon to them yet. I’m interested to see how Gaine handles this situation, but I think it’s beneficial to clowneys development, as well as our team that he’s in the building this offseason. As it stands now he won’t be, and I think it’s obviously very important that he’s there getting reps.

Like I said in another thread, this is a business. He’s not showing up unless he gets what he thinks he’s worth. So if we’re not gonna be the ones to give it to him, that’s fine; it’s upsetting to me personally because I think he’s a really good player and he’s still developing, but they need to make that trade before the draft. Because that will create yet another hole we need to fill with young talent

17. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player. But he's not a very good player frequently enough to command the attention over and money his contract will likely end up being.

If we can keep him locked up and not kill any financial flexibility, then sure thing. Absolutely keep him and try to coach him to play smarter and more consistently. But again, a guy getting that much dough shouldn't still require that coaching and a call for more consistency.

18. 281Texan

281Texan Rookie

I agree, His case is so frustrating and difficult because you know he’s a supremely talented player, but he didn’t elevate his game to the next level yet. The leader of the defense level. He has more talent than most guys in the league but I truly don’t think he works as hard as those guys to perfect his craft. Maybe it’s just coaching. I personally believe if he had JJ’s motor and work ethic you’re looking at an all-pro and then some. It also makes you wonder if he’d benefit from a change of scenery. Somewhere like Atlanta or Seattle or anywhere that runs a base 4-3. Somewhere he’d have his hand in the ground on every play getting after the QB.

On the flip side of the coin, what can you get for him draft pick wise? Dee Ford whose had similar production returned a 2020 2nd. If that’s the case then I’m out. For me, it would take at least a first and I’d say a 2nd or 3rd to move him. The potential of finding someone of his caliber in the draft is very very slim. Not to mention every year may be JJ’s last, so losing him and clowney would be a huge blow to our defense. And this time next year we’d be scrambling for edge rushers like we are OL. Plug one hole in the boat to blow another. We have the cap, I say we do it. We can get out of Lamar, Whitney, and Colvins deal and that’d free up a lot of money for us to use as well. We’re fine financially

TheMatrix31, CWTexansFan and ObsiWan like this.
  19. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

This rumor of Clowney to Philly for the 53rd pick is crazy. If we need to trade Clowney fine but just a 2nd rounder no way.

20. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Never mind I was repeating a bogus source.

OptimisticTexan likes this.