The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I do. I believe he will not sign the tender.

2. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Anything in particular to Clowney that you're basing this on?

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

What's the sales pitch that holding out benefits him? You realize his agent will lose $479k?

Holding out after year 3 of a rookie deal or in the middle of a seriously underpaying contract can make sense. Holding out on a franchise tag is usually shooting yourself in the foot. In Clowney's case moreso.

JB and CloakNNNdagger like this.
  4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Those trying to compare Clowney's to Lawrence's situation forget that Lawrence was on his second tag and potentially onto his third had the Cowboys not made the long term deal.

Regarding Lawrence's situation:

With $20.56 million on the books for 2019 — and a chance to make $29.6 million under a third franchise tag in 2020 — Lawrence swapped the tag in the hand for a long-term deal that made sense for both sides.

Albert Breer of SI.com has posted the cash flow generated by the new long-term deal. And the key comes from the first two years: Lawrence gets $31.1 million in 2019 and $16.9 million in 2020, fully guaranteed.

That’s $48 million over two years. While $2.1 million less than the $50.1 million he would have made under the franchise tag over the next two years, it’s also more than the franchise tag/transition tag two-step that the Cowboys could have attempted, which would have resulted in $20.56 million in 2019 and $24.672 million in 2020, for a total of $45.23 million.

Lawrence also has $17 million in 2021 that is guaranteed for injury at signing, and that amount becomes fully guaranteed in March of 2020 — not March of 2021. This means that he’ll either get $65 million for three years or $48 million for one year, and a trip to the open market.

To get that security, Lawrence had to agree to a pair of non-guaranteed years on the back and, at $19 million in 2022 and $21 million in 2023. There’s a chance that increases in the salary cap, along with other contracts signed in the interim, will make those numbers seem pedestrian by then. There’s also a chance the Cowboys won’t honor the non-guaranteed years. Regardless, he’s getting either $48 million for one year or $65 million for three, which makes it worth the risk that he’ll either be underpaid or cut loose in 2022.

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Ultimately it’s Clowneys decision. Look at it from his POV. If he signs a one year deal and gets hurt, he may never get another chance at a Large long term deal. This is his chance to financially take care himself and his loved ones for good.

Do you think he wants to play all year Worrying about getting injured? He’s young and a years rest for his knee and a fresh start sounds better than going through a year of stressing over this.

He’s been a good teammate and done all that has been asked of him. If this team doesn’t believe in him enough to sign him to a long term contract maybe it’s time for him to move on.

We will see.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Buy insurance out of the $15.97 mil for the year. That & playing is taking better care.

maverick512000, otisbean and JB like this.
  7. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  8. CloakNNNdagger

DeMarcus Lawrence expects to miss preseason after shoulder surgery
    Posted by Josh Alper on April 8, 2019, 6:02 PM EDT

Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence is set to have a press conference at the team’s facility on Tuesday to discuss the five-year, $105 million deal he signed last Friday.

Lawrence will then move on to having shoulder surgery Wednesday. Lawrence is having a torn labrum repaired and was waiting for his new deal to be done before heading into the operating room.

The rehab timeline for that surgery stretches well into the summer and Lawrence said on The Rich Eisen Show Monday that he expects to miss the preseason with designs on being ready to go in Week One.

“Yes, you are always hopeful for the shorter time barring some complication,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said on 103.3 FM, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “It was certainly a concern. He played with it last year. We felt like it in his best interest long-term. DeMarcus felt that way. We needed to get surgery. It turns out it got done in a timely fashion. We couldn’t do a contract that wasn’t good for DeMarcus and the Cowboys.”

It will be some time before there’s a sense of Lawrence’s chances of being ready in September, but the rest of the Cowboys will get their offseason work started next week.

So he's now projected to miss the preseason, BUT be ready to go in Week One.............................ummm, OK...........

BTW, the side of his injury/proposed surgery has not been reported........but he wore a left shoulder harness last season. That's the reason he could play through it. He is a weakside DE and therefore the right shoulder is the critical one, as it is used to force the offensive players inside........something that would easily cause continued repeated dislocation of the right shoulder.........and would have required surgery much sooner.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    CWTexansFan and ArlingtonTexan like this.
  9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Why did he wait for negotiations to end before surgery? Did he want team pay for it? Every day healing should have been the plan.

10. CloakNNNdagger

Speaking on 103.3 FM on Monday, Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones confirmed the four-to-six-month rehab for Lawrence, who is already expected to miss training camp.

"Yes, you are always hopeful for the shorter time barring some complication," Jones said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "It was certainly a concern. He played with it last year. We felt like it in his best interest long-term. DeMarcus felt that way. We needed to get surgery. It turns out it got done in a timely fashion. We couldn't do a contract that wasn't good for DeMarcus and the Cowboys."

Now the Cowboys hope they did the deal early enough that surgery won't wipe out the start of the 2019 season for their newly paid pass rusher.
    LINK

Looks like both entities were banking on a positive outcome for their side, based strongly on the final new contract given to Trey Flowers...........Lawrence hoping leverage with a higher $, the Cowboys hoping for a lower $. Flowers contract was not finalized until a little over 3 weeks ago. It was then and only then that the nitty gritty negotiations began to occur. Lawrence would not have wanted to undergo surgery until after a contract was signed, as unexpected negative additional findings at the time of surgery would significantly decrease his leverage. On the other hand, although they would have been looking to get the best team deal possible, the Cowboys had to ultimately "role the dice" because they could not afford to break up their core leading to another early exit in the 2019 postseason.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    badboy, CWTexansFan and disaacks3 like this.

11. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Clowney is as good as gone! Pancakes just said there is no way the Texans trade him. :splits:

CWTexansFan and FuzzyLogic like this.
  12. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

I apologise for having to ask this....who is "Pancakes"? The nicknames and abbreviations lose me sometimes. This is one of them. Hey, I'm an old guy.

13. pirbroke

pirbroke Hall of Fame

He is a old guy like yourself, lol. John McClain from the Houston chronicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

Thanks for the info, Pirbroke. I wonder what nickname folks use for me. That's why I chose HaveMercy for my online handle.
    I periodically hear disrespectful comments about John McClain, but I've always enjoyed his commentary and opinions. I like him.

15. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

I left Houston in 1997, and could never understand McClain hate on this board once I joined.

santo likes this.
  16. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

Pancakes acts like an insider but is largely a schill for the team. Just spouts what they feed him. Feel he is a bit too lazy and not hard on them calling them to the table

PapaL, House of Pain, TheKDog and 2 others like this.
  17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think some of it came from McClain blasting Texans for taking Mario Williams. I understand he was sort of persona non grata for quite some time. IMO, he did become more "team friendly" and allowed back. No comment on his role for years on 610 radio outlet for team assisting him to climb back into a state of grace. I do enjoy his stories of older players. Old guys just have to absorb something even if he is not cutting edge. IMO there's no one like that in H'town although Fox Mark Furman use to break some good info.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  18. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

McClain can be entertaining and has some great oiler stories. If you hear him a handful of times its easy to believe what he says. After a while, when current team affairs or "what ifs" are asked you realize he speaks with conviction. Not fact. Most of it is simple guesswork to nfl fans who pay attention. Most of its just common sense.

There might've been a time when his foot was in the door and he had inside knowledge. I think that stopped when the Oilers left town.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    badboy and JB like this.
  19. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Mark Furman?

Do you mean Berman?

House of Pain and Carr Bombed like this.
  20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yeah he had an insider with the Oilers... never with the Texans. Now when he's 'reporting' it's mostly the movies he's had a cameo in or wanted to be in. His guess work turns out to be mostly wrong, but he does have some influence... his work to get Robert Brazile into the HOF for example