The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Dupe

2. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Lawrence & Clowney appear to be comparable players over the last couple seasons production wise to a point though I doubt that Lawrence is the force against rushing plays that JD is ?
    Interesting same Draft class though JD is a year younger and Lawrence is clearly not the athletic freak that Clowney is.
    Now the big question: what kind of an injury/durability history does Lawrence have ?

OptimisticTexan and ATXtexanfan like this.
  4. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

5. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

To bad the texans have dragged their feet on this. A new bar has been set. Is he worth it, dunno. But the market has been set.

Maybe we can get him on a 1 yr prove it deal......

If I'm clowney I sit out unless I get market value.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

It is extremely good news they have been patient and wise. 15.6 GTD this season and about $20 next year is much smarter. We have him on a one year deal..not sure where you going?Look guys, if Texans were okay with Clowney's future health he would've had a deal weeks ago.

7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Exactly because in looking at Lawrence and Clowney side by side Clowney if fully intact is obviously a superior football player. So like I said, "if fully intact".

8. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I think this may lead Clowney to rest for a season if the Texans try to get him to play on a tag. Like I mentioned before.....Texans either need to get him signed or find someone willing to trade for him. If they fail to achieve either option....Clowney will probably be advised to sit out for the season and force the Texans hand.

If the Texans wait until next season to address this issue they'll lose any advantage they had left. Clowney will walk with little to no compensation.

CWTexansFan and ATXtexanfan like this.
  9. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

If that’s the case then their idiots. They should of traded him after last season as soon as possible. The closer we get to The deadline of signing the tenders he more obvious we’re on a bad situation with him and The less we can get for him in a trade. And if we don’t teade him he most likely is going to sit out the entire season and we will end up getting nothing for him.

Why would Clowney sign a one year deal after coming back from a major injury and proving himself. From his POV he’s proven the last three years he’s recovered from a major injury and is an elite defender. Why would he accept a 1 year deal and risk re-injuring himself and risk never being able to get another big contract. I guarantee you there is a team out there that will give him a long term contract.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think the Texans really want to keep Clowney, they just have different opinions on the value. They wanted to keep HB also, but they valued him at say $10M and HB and his agents valued him at say $16 M... HB chose to go to KC where he got $14M. They've just removed the choices of Clowney for now trying to extend the negotiating period. And holding out for an entire season has never worked out for a player to the best of my knowledge

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would agree with this, but look at what Mack brought the Raiders just before last season started as a template for what is most likely to happen.

I actually could see a draft day trade, depending on how the draft falls for teams that might want to trade for Clowney.

CWTexansFan and badboy like this.
  12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Sorry didn't see if fully intact in post and was replying to you saying it was bad they waited.

13. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

Anything can happen ,but it's such a good draft for defensive linemen. I think that hinders his trade value. I'm fine with franchising him this year and testing his trade market next offseason.

steelbtexan likes this.
  14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They always manage not value guys like HB the same as SB contenders do.

I wonder if Chiefs might trade a 1st and a 4th this yr and a 2020 2nd for Clowney.

This way the Texans could pull off a comeback Salary Cap comeback win on their way to a Salary Cap championship. BTW, If I thought they would use the cap space I would be for them trading Clowney.

But you know my thoughts about the Texans org on this issue.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

No way I see a sit I out for year as my understanding of Doc's eval is that doesn't improve or negate med issue. Short rests to some recovery from swelling and pain maybe... Clowney needs to be on time day one of any non-GTD year.

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Both of their teams should have significant questions about "if fully intact." Clowney for obvious reasons. But the Cowboys ultimately may not be happy with giving Lawrence his big pay day. He will be undergoing shoulder labrum surgery soon for a problem he has played with for the past 2 years (causing increasing damage). This is likely to keep him out for at least 3-4 months. He will be fortunate to be functionally back by the beginning of the season, let alone TC. A recent study re. labrum surgery in football players published in the Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine Oct 2018 concluded that the first season back showed compromised return of performance in both the conservatively treated and surgically treated players. In the surgically repaired group, the snaps during the second year increased ~20% over the first year. The positions most significantly affected were linemen............DL greater than OL. Jerry Jones and company have thrown the dice. I'm not sure that it will turn out much wiser of a choice than if the Texans choose to follow the same route.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    CWTexansFan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I believe Gaines wanted and thought he could get LTD with JD. That was the plan... most trades don't seem to be spur of moment accept first offer; many occur as a deadline of some sort approaches as with many negotiated contracts. We see that played out daily on world stage in politics, trade agreement, union deals, etc. He has to sign this tender sooner or later if he wants LTD with any team. I agree there is at minimum one team willing to pay him. We know Texans are if as JB says money is worth risk.

18. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

"Thrown the dice".
    Yea ole Jer throws the dice often on edge rushers it would seem, like another one of his pass rushers whos contract he also extended, Randy Gegory who just got hit with another suspension for using pot.

19. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

And if he refuses to sign it? I believe he won’t.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Do you realize how rare that is?

CWTexansFan and powda like this.