The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. banned1976

banned1976 American

Bell left 14.5 million on the table. That’s how much his pride was worth.

CWTexansFan, Texas Jake and JB like this.
  2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

There are insurance policies for millionaire athletes too

My speculation is that he and his agent gambled that Pittsburgh FO would cave and lost

3. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

...and he also wanted a larger percentage of the contract to be guaranteed money.

It wouldn't have been a surprise to me if Pittsburgh's plan was to squeeze one more season out of Bell then kick him to the curb for Connor

ATXtexanfan and CWTexansFan like this.
  4. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

look, us old farts are of a generation that wouldn't dream of "leaving money on the table". Especially that kind of money.
    These younguns don't think like that. They want to control their future. And remember he reluctantly signed the franchise tag the year before thinking THIS year the Steelers would come thru with a long term deal. Instead, they went franchise tag again. It looked like the Steelers were going to keep stringing him along (for as long as the franchise rules allowed) instead of giving him the long-term deal. He got fed up.

If it was me, I'd have sat out until the signing deadline (I think that's 6 games in - some of you contract nerds check me on that) then taken the two weeks they give you to get back in game shape. Bank all the money, suffer only half the wear-and-tear on the body.

CWTexansFan, banned1976 and JB like this.
  5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Actually I think he and his agent played hardball and lost. Much like Boros(sp?) often does with his clients

6. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Of course that was their plan. Smart one too had he not held out. They already had him for several seasons of a lot of hits and most RB's don't last that long after a season or two of that. Plus, he had two failed drug tests that already got him suspended once for 4 games so he still has that risk factor as well. No way in hell I'd have paid Bell that much money. I would have traded him more and gotten something for him though. Most teams can produce a solid running game if they have a good Oline and decent talent at RB. I think the Jets will be heavily disappointed with Bell's production on that contract. Maybe not in year one, but after that I think they will.

7. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

Not really. The gamble wasn't about money it was about his health. The risk of being injured and losing out on a long term deal wasn't worth it. He may have "lost" 14.5 million by sitting out, but he guaranteed his health for this off-season to be able to sign the deal he did.

8. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

not sure about that. I think Bell will be on a "I'll show Pittsburgh what they lost" mission for the foreseeable future.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  9. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Maybe for a year, but I've seen a lot more RB's under perform huge contracts than who have. Very few of them actually ever do. He could be one of those rare guys that stays healthy and motivated for years. Or he'll likely perform maybe one year or so out of that contract before injuries pile up on him.

10. banned1976

banned1976 American

Solid strategy.

steelbtexan likes this.

11. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

The longer the Texan’s Big Brains do nothing, the more I am afraid they are going to sign JD to a big contract as their big move. We need OL, secondary,wr, and rb more than signing JD. Again my feeling is playoff caliber teams can nullify our front 7 as we saw in last few games and playoffs. The only substantial move we can make other than a couple lower tier FAs is to trade JD for a couple of semi-high draft choices or maybe a good player OL or secondary preferred and draft choice/s
    As always just my opinion

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Well atleast he didn't let Tomlin make him have 400 touches, get hurt and lose this contract,

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I wouldn't have posted what I did if I had read this post.

14. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

It was essentially a rather expensive (14.5M) insurance policy that netted him at least 35M in the end. And fair enough.

NastyNate and amazing80 like this.
  15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Much more expensive than an insurance policy thru Lloyds would have been

16. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

He paid a premium to get rested and give the Steelers the finger..

JB and steelbtexan like this.
  17. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Mostly to give the Steelers the finger methinks, which I can applaud him for

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I can't consider either Mack or Ford as direct comps..............as both are established pass rushers with significant sack numbers. Although media continue to refer to Clowney as a top passer rusher, for whatever positives he may have Clowney is no way a top pass rusher/sack producer.............and that is what teams max value.

19. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The only real point is that they are all considered "edge" players..i.e. 3-4 OLB, 4-3 end. You're making an argument that agent or Gm might make to move price versus general classification.

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I'm making the argument that holds true in the NFL.