The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

At RD1-01, the hell we didn't! He should've had Watt chasing him for the limelight. Sampson was all NBA everything his rookie season, the Hakeem arrived and decided he was going to carry the Rockets.....and did.

2. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Watt put up historical, unmatched numbers the league has never seen. Anyone who thought Clowney would match that kind of production probably hasn't watched much of the league over the years. Completely unrealistic expectation.

PapaL, mussop, DocBar and 4 others like this.
  3. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

So are you happy with the production we have gotten out of Clowney? Not being a smartass I actually am curious.

4. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

I think your expectations for Clowney just because he was a #1 overall pick were unrealistic. Watt has been a generational player, even if Watt was a #1 over all pick he has far exceeded those expectations..... and then to try to compare and expect him to be Hakeem, probably the best big man to ever play the game.... just yea stop

5. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Not 100%. And not so much as a 1-1. But given his injury history, and knowing all along he was never gonna be a pass rushing dynamo, I guess I kinda am.

I take his pros for his cons. That said I wouldn't back the brinks truck up for him. I'd tag him and entertain trade offers while fully content to play him one more season before we reassess after 2019.

DocBar, Texas Jake, otisbean and 5 others like this.
  6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

As long as you weren't expecting a dynamic pass rusher... he's an all-pro overall. He needs to cut out the bone-headed stuff

7. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Overall I agree with you but I think the bolded part is going to be the sticking point. I don't know maybe I'm not being fair but there is just something about Clowney that I don't care for. I think he is going to push for a big contract, and yeah all players do but I mean a contract beyond his level of production. Doesn't help that several of the talking heads are saying its time for Clowney to get paid either by the Texans or someone else. I don't know I think I'd just at this point rather have the draft picks.

8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

It's tag him or get nothing more than a 3rd rnd comp pick

9. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

I'm not saying don't tag him, I'm just saying be hunting for trading partners that make a fair deal for him. If we find one, great send him their way, if not then we get him on tag price and kick the can down the road on what to do with him.

steelbtexan likes this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Unless the get two 1's they should just tag Clowney. IMHO

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

12. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

My issue with Clowney and the reason I would be reluctant to give him a big contract is not his talent or play on the field: it is his injury history and how many years he has left of quality production. It is a truly sad situation for him—he has so much ability, but his career has been compromised by injury.

13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

It's a shame... but he's been well compensated

14. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Not gonna get anything like two ones for JD, not even close. Maybe a single low first rounder, tops he'd fetch IMO.

DocBar and JB like this.
  15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

That's why you tag him and depending on how he does maybe tag him again next yr. The previous GM would've already extended him like he did Schaub.

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Yea I think this Board is nearly unanimous in its conclusion that Clowney should be tagged for 2019 and then shop him to see what he might bring.

17. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Moving forward they have to weigh costs of resigning someone worthy of the #1 overall pick. Didn’t learn lesson with Mario Williams, now Clowney.

19. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

So the Texans don' t want to extend him in a multi year deal.

They could franchise tag him, but then he could hold out and either way we'll be back in this spot next year. So why not trade him like Oakland did with mack.

Personally I'd try to extend him. See if he'll agree to a small discount

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  20. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The biggest lesson might be to never suck enough to have to pick number 1 overall. If there is not a QB worthy of 1.1 pretty much the pick is untradeable and long-term that non-QB needs to be a generational talent...(imo) Clowney is a half tier to full tier better than Mario Williams, and still not elite enough to justify his selection nor pure contract to keep him. The problem is that there is not an obvious, clear better player available in FA and probably not the draft.