The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I think hes going to be traded for some young secondary players IMO we need to revamp that area IMO

CWTexansFan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Any examples?

steelbtexan likes this.
  3. markn

markn Hall of Fame

I agree with this. I'm only trading if we find a dumb team with a history of making stupid trades who'll over pay for him. I hear the Raiders are looking for a premium pass rusher.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Spanky and Alfalfa maybe?
    [​IMG]

CWTexansFan, JB and steelbtexan like this.
  5. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

It's walterfootball so take it with a grain of salt

6. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Jets too, unfortunately both have high draft picks in a very good draft to get pass rushers lol

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Just my two cents but I'd worry about replacing Clowney and Watt 31 YOA going into 2020 draft although we could pick up really good OLBs in Sutton Smith and Maxx Crosby rounds five and 6/7 respectfully 2019.

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

That right there rules out Clowney.

9. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

PFF and Over the Cap project Jadeveon Clowney as this offseason's most expensive free agent. Taking the franchise tag off the table for a second, if you were GM of the Texans do you sign off on this deal or let him walk?

See who else is set to cash in: https://bit.ly/2SbL31H

7:40 PM - Feb 5, 2019

Projection: Six years, $135 million, $85 million GTD

$135M Total value would be T-4th with Aaron Donald & Matthew Stafford
    $22.5M avg/year would be T-11th with Aaron Donald
    $85M guaranteed would be 2nd behind Matt Ryan($94M) and just ahead of Kirk Cousins($84M)

Aaron Donald:
    6 years, $135M; $22.5M/year; $50M guaranteed

Khalil Mack:
    6 years, $141M; $23.5M/year; $60M guaranteed

10. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

He does not get Mack or Donald money in my organisation. Those two guys are a level above him, JDC is good, not elite. Stupid plays as well even in street clothes, so he does not always have his head in the game and his effort is inconsistent. 5 uears, $18m per is where I would feel better. We cannot let everyone walk. Tag and trade if I could get a top end OT or CB. The drop off to Merci/Duke would be there, but overall would be better

11. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

He does not get Mack or Donald money in my organisation. Those two guys are a level above him, JDC is good, not elite. Stupid plays as well even in street clothes, so he does not always have his head in the game and his effort is inconsistent. 5 uears, $18m per is where I would feel better. We cannot let everyone walk. Tag and trade if I could get a top end OT or CB. The drop off to Merci/Duke would be there, but overall would be better

12. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

NO! He gets tagged and traded. The Texans could roll the dice like they did with Cushing and really wind up behind the cap eight-ball if he doesn't stay healthy. Sorry, I'll take a package of picks for Clowney.

gafftop and CWTexansFan like this.
  13. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

FFS, Cushing's pre-contract injury had nothing to do with his demise.

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

This is Houston. You know how this will work. If Clowney stays, he'll have injury problems and we'll all be second guessing this to hell. If Clowney leaves, he'll be an all pro terror for someone else and we'll all be second guessing this to hell.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  15. gs27

gs27 All Pro

Wow, hope Texans are not the idiots that give Clowney 80+ guaranteed, shouldn't go over 40 guaranteed and not more then 15m/yr. Clowney is not anywhere close to Donald or Mack as comps. Clowney isn't half the player Hunter is for the Vikings and he only got 14m/yr with 40 guaranteed. What dumbassery.

Would try to trade Clowney to Falcons for Beasley and a 3rd. Both are better fits switching teams, Clowney needs a space linebacker playing behind him, and Beasley needs to rush the passer standing up the majority of the time.

16. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

Franchise and then negotiate to trade. No team is going to give 2 no 1's for Clowney. Be flexible and get deal done.

maverick512000 likes this.
  17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He's more valuable on the tag than he is if you dont get value for a top 50 rated guy.

CWTexansFan and Mollywhopper like this.
  18. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

Personally I would trade him if the deal was at all good. He's been good but I think he was expected to be Watt 2.0 and to me he has not lived up to his talent. I found it very telling that he had his best year when Watt went down and he got to be the number 1 guy. I really think its that he doesn't want to play second fiddle to Watt, and in Houston he always will, so when Watt is on the field he plays well but doesn't push the boundaries like he would if he was in that number 1 spot light.

I think if we trade him we could get great value out of him to help us. I fully expect him to go to another team and be a beast there if he is brought in as the franchise defense guy. Its why I wouldn't trade him in division unless it was an offer to good to refuse. As much as I hate the thought of another team getting his best I just don't think we are ever going to get it as long as he shares a line up with Watt and I'd rather keep Watt even with the injuries. So since we aren't going to get his best lets get value for him and use that to meet other needs.

19. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

No one, not even Clowney's own mom, expected him to be Watt 2.0.

mussop likes this.
  20. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

Yeah, they kind of did.

Edit: Let me clarify they may not have expected him to be like Watt in style and type of player but they expected him to put up similar stats. Basically the idea was you can't stop both of them and it was suppose to take the entire O line just for those two.

CWTexansFan and OptimisticTexan like this.