The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Figured out? They led the league in rush D.

9 sacks is figured out?

He's putting up TFLs Michael Strahan dreamed about.

The ONLY dig on Clowney should be he is a ticking time bomb with a bone on bone knee.

amazing80, PapaL, noxiousdog and 4 others like this.
  2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

In what area? YDS allowed? No. Pt's allowed? No . Yds per attempt yes, they just allowed too many attempts. TD and ypg they were 3rd

link

And the offense was mid-pack in almost every area

3. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Veteran

Texans' TV viewership plummeted after Week 14 loss to Colts

"Perhaps after the Colts defeated the Texans with quarterback Andrew Luck drawing edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney offsides to seal the win, Houston fans had a niggling feeling that it was “happening again” and that the Texans would choke away a chance to get beyond the divisional playoffs for the first time in the franchise’s 17-season history."

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/12/texans-tv-viewership-tumbled-week-14-loss-colts/

4. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

To me, the other knock would be a lack of discipline. We can’t have the consistent pre snap and unsportsmanlike penalties, and (this might be on RAC) but the constant diving inside giving up outside contain. The guy is an other worldly athlete, I’d just like to see him mature a bit

5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Being with Watt is probably the worst place for him to be to achieve that

6. infantrycak

What is too much? He had 14 penalties (some at reallly bad times) out of roughly a
    thousand snaps. He and JJ meet RBs 3 yds deep

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

That's nearly 1 a game, and far too many were game changers

8. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

This was my thinking exactly. I think he had quite a few that negatively effected the outcome of some games this season. What makes it really tough is we were 1 win from securing a first rd bye. There’s no denying his talent though, and I do really like the guy despite the fact I’ve harped on him a bit this year.

9. infantrycak

How many plus plays plays was that?

Difficult equation.

One of (this is a strange description) the prettiest NFL players was Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson. He was so talented and so undisciplined. So I get the divide.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Totally agree. Hollywood was a very good talent but couldn't grow up

steelbtexan and Texas Jake like this.

11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

You may recall that Watt and not JD was the first one to jump offsides in that in that intial possession by the Colts which they took advantage of with the second chance, converted to a first down, then went on down the field to score a TD.

CWTexansFan and cbs1507 like this.
  12. cbs1507

cbs1507 Veteran

Yup JJ Watt was called offsides of 3rd and 7 on a player where they only got 5, which means they would have punted instead of scored. I'm surprised people don't remember that, yet keep bringing up a offsides in week 14 at the end of the game (as if the Colts weren't gifted a BS hold call on Jackson on that drive previously) .

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I remember that very well, and that impulsiveness along with tending to free-lance makes him the worst possible to pair with Clowney (to teach maturity). Watt is a great player but not real strong in discipline himself

14. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Watt and Clowney had the same amount of pre snap penalties with 8 each this season, for those wondering

PapaL, thunderkyss, mussop and 5 others like this.
  15. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Honestly they need to move Watt inside and have Clowney and Merc on the edge in pass rush situations. It is crazy to me how many obvious pass rush situations we were in this year, only to have 2/3s of our best rushers actually rushing while the other dropped into coverage or spied the QB. We severely lacked an inside rush this season, moving Watt to the inside to rush from there could help that

noxiousdog, cbs1507, otisbean and 3 others like this.
  16. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Veteran

Maybe it's because if we had won on week 14 Watt wouldn't have jumped off sides on week 18.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  17. powda

powda Daycare at Demmin '45

I've gotten into the habit of watching run highlights against us and looking specifically for JJ and JD on those plays. They give up a lot of plays due to being to aggressive and pay little attention to gap integrity unless it's short yardage.

I'd love to see JJ as an under tackle especially the older he gets. I don't know if mercy has enough beef to play 4-3 end every down in the nfl.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  18. banned1976

banned1976 American

Pre-snap penalties were killers for this team, not just on defense, not just on Clowney. But maybe the Texans were as bad (or good) as all the other teams and I just noticed it more with them because they're "my" team.

I'm neutral on Clowney at this point. But I'm neutral on this team in general. Watt could tweet tomorrow that he's retiring and I'd get over it pretty quickly.

Probably the only way the speculation on Clowney's future could intrigue me is if he was on the trading block but he's not and won't be. He either gets paid big here or somewhere else. I guess the Texans would get a comp pick in 2020 if he moves on. Maybe by then the Texans will have a new HC...:spit: Like that's going to happen.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

With his back and knee history, Watt is no longer able to plow THROUGH defenders. Routinely putting him inside may sound like a good idea, but it would render him much less effective.....and would undoubtedly not do his back and knee conditions any good.....shortening what's left of his career.

20. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

That's true, but it will still make the team more effective.

Clowney is great and underappreciated, but if we could get a good trade package for him, I'd be willing to sacrifice him. With the modern NFL, defense just isn't as important as offense.