The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marshall, Jun 2, 2015.

1. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Looked at another way, most every one who bested Clowney on TFLs also bested him on sacks.

Those ahead of Clowney on BOTH sacks and above / tied on TFLs:
    Aaron Donald
    J.J. Watt
    Chris Jones
    Danielle Hunter
    Jason Pierre-Paul
    Cameron Jordan
    DeForest Buckner
    Calais Campbell
    Demarcus Lawrence
    Michael Bennett

If we count them equally, Clowney gets beaten by a few more:
    Von Miller
    Bradley Chubb
    Dee Ford

He's definitely in good company.

NitroGSXR and infantrycak like this.
  2. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Especially for a guy who by some accounts was supposed to be in a wheelchair by now.

amazing80 likes this.
  3. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Those fans were wrong.

Hopefully Gaine can continue to clean up the mess that was left for him.[/QUOTE]

2-3 years ago when people said we were "just a qb away" we had a pretty decent line, and we had good corners. Problem is while obtaining that QB we let those positions fall off hard.

steelbtexan likes this.
  4. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

That's the thing with this every offseason mantra of 'too many holes, at least 2-3 years,' 2/3rds of an NFL roster will turn over in that time and stars will go from peak to decline. Gotta accept there will always be "holes" on every roster and coach around them.

NitroGSXR and otisbean like this.
  5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Field Yates ESPN Insider reports Texans paid JD bonus of $1.005 million to settle dispute of what position Clowney should have been paid at for 2018. He was paid at OLB rather than the DE he said. Increase was from $12.306 to $13.31 m. So, standing up or 3 point stance he is paid as an End.

6. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

except our holes were easily avoidable, we would all feel a hell of a lot better going into this offseason if DB and Bouye were still on the roster

7. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

actually could be a big deal if the Texans do go the tag route with Clowney.

badboy likes this.
  8. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

I hope you are right. If he gets us a 1 and say a 2, I will be ecstatic and very surprised. I will be surprised if he even gets you a 1 unless it is with one of the teams still in the playoffs. I want nothing to do with him on a long term deal. If we franchise I don't think he signs. Could they trade him right now before they nonexclusive franchise or what are the details on trading players once season is over? I do think you have to franchise. Again just my opinion and I hope I am dead wrong on trade value.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

2-3 years ago when people said we were "just a qb away" we had a pretty decent line, and we had good corners. Problem is while obtaining that QB we let those positions fall off hard.[/QUOTE]

That's what lead to getting a new GM.

10. infantrycak

No, he is paid as a mix.

Now that does mean the franchise tag is more expensive @ a 20% increase, $15.97. Still a savings over DE which was $17.1 in 2018.

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

He was paid as OLB that was his argument. The bonus was to pay him as an end and was negotiated by his agent and Gaines.

12. infantrycak

It was a negotiation between LB & DE. This has been done many times around the league. The 2018 transition number for DE was $14.2. Clowney did not get paid as a DE.

amazing80 likes this.
  13. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Well yea, but if we had Watson on that 2016 team I would say we were true SB contenders. The rest of our team was in place, so when people said that 2-3 years ago they weren't wrong. Just poor management by the GM lead the team from being a QB away to having multiple holes to fill to compete

Texas Jake and steelbtexan like this.
  14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

That's what I said here is exact wording of reporter
    https://brobible.com/sports/article...ne-million-dollars-contract-dispute-position/

He did not get paid the top DE transition as I said it was negotiated as a settlement to move on in his negotiation.

15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Despite how big he is, JJ's never been a power rusher. Yet he still dominated from inside those early years & I think alot of the wear & tear on him that caused him to break down those 2 years came from him playing inside alot more then. Crennel kept him on the outside all this year so in a sense i'm not all that surprised he was able to stay healthy.

16. infantrycak

Huh? - he bull rushes people a lot. The fact he has other moves doesn't take that away.

17. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Funny how the same people who think Watt coming off of multiple serious injuries and almost 30 is going to play great forever are the same ones worried about Clowney's knee lol.

18. infantrycak

Who said anything about JJ playing forever or even a very long time?

My prediction was JJ would pull a Bob Lilly and retire once he is a healthy non-probowler.

19. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Not you, but there are a lot who seem to want to trade JD in part because of how Watt performed this year. Honestly with an aging vet like Watt coming off of the injuries he has had, I am treating every year we have him playing at a high level as a bonus and am not expecting him to replicate that production or even play a full 16 games for much longer.

20. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Agree MW, no way JD fetchs that kind of value today.
    See I think lot of folks over rate how rich the comp was for Mack in the Bears-Raiders trade because the 2019 2nd round pick the Raiders included practically offsets the second 1st round pick (2020) the Bears included on their end so in essense the Bears are paying a late rounds 1st & 3rd for Mack.
    Anyway I don't think there's anyway a Jadaveon Clowney scores the kind of deal Khalil Mack did but JMHO.