The New Houston Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JohnsonFan, Sep 4, 2007.

1. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

Here is my out look on our beloved team for this year, with the release of david carr we move onto to a so called new chapter "chapter 2". Our new leader is matt schaub. Now schaub has only started 2 two games in his first 3 seasons, but all of the scouts out there love his "strong arm". Our pro bowl wide out johnson wil be schaub's number 1 target. The rest of recievers are preatty average besides JJ who i think is up and coming. ahman green is 30 years old and is past his prime but still will do average this year. Our defense is probally the best young defense in the AFC. With Amobi Okoye's great pass rushing skills he will compliment mario and demeco. The big picture is that we are building a foundation for success on our defense but our offense is still a season or two away from lifting us far into the playoffs.

I predict our division to look like this
    Colts= 11-5
    Texans= 8-8
    Titans= 8-8
    Jaguars= 6-10

2. maddogmrb

maddogmrb All Pro

Pretty good assessment.

I'm still concerned that the oline won't hold up.

I do think you are a little too far on the optimistic side of our defense. Our dline is unproven. Our OLB's are average on their BEST days, and our secondary still has a long ways to go before being considered playoff caliber.

Another year of FA's and another draft may help solve these situations and catapult us to the playoffs.:texflag:

3. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

we will be in the playoffs at latest next season its possible this season but unlikely

4. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

I still say 9-7 or maybe just maybe 10-6. Schaub is 10 times better than Carr. This in itself makes our line better. We have weapons on offense, AJ, OD, JJ, AG ( who by the way is not playing OLD ) and KW is pretty much a sure handed posession reciever. On D we have a young DL (3 1st rd. picks) and Weaver. Stout against the run, still need to pressure the QB more. Our LB's are good with Demeco, Greenwood is making some plays and Clark looked good outside of the Tampa game. Our DB's, well we have Dunta, and hopefully Boulware returns to form of '04 and '05. CC and Faggins are weak spots. With all the changes and a second year in the system I see a 3 to 4 win improvement this year over last.

5. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

17-13 Houston :texflag:

6. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

Is it just me that that has a problem with people always looking at Ahman's age and immediately assuming he is past his prime? I know this is the national media's preferred way of doing things, but I just don't get it. The people who keep banging the drum that Ahman is too old are the same folks who can't believe that Tiki Barber would abandon his team while in the prime of his career. But wait...Tiki Barber would be 32 this season! He must have been pretty average the past two years (2005: 1860 yds rushing, 2390 all-purpose, Pro Bowl, 2006: 1662 yds rushing, Pro Bowl), why would anybody want this guy to not retire?

I know that a lot of backs have begun to slow down once they get close to their 30th birthday (Eddie George, Jamal Lewis, etc), but I am saying that folks should at least consider other factors before deciding if someone is over the hill. The type of runner the back is, how they are used, and their injury history are far more important factors to consider. Curtis Martin was the NFL rushing champ when he was 31. Green has only missed significant time due to injury in one season (2005) and has only carried the ball 1871 times in his 10 yrs in the league. That's an average of only 187 carries a season. Compare that to Warrick Dunn (2256 carries in 11 seasons, 205 per), Edgerrin James (2525 carries in 9 seasons, 281 per), or Shaun Alexander (1969 carries in 8 seasons, 246 per). Looking at these factors it would appear that Green might still have some tread left on his tires. Will he? Maybe, and then again, maybe not. We'll have to see during the season, but he has looked good in limited action during the preseason. I just think the "He's 30, he must be past his prime" argument needs to be looked at a bit closer. End Rant. :twocents:

nero THE zero and Goldensilence like this.
  7. mattschaub#8

mattschaub#8 hi im matt jk

8. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

DiapHer likes this.

9. mattschaub#8

no sry lol i stink at speeling

HJam72 likes this.
  10. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

Can you imagine if we were to improve next year by the amount we improved this year??? Plus, more FA's will look our way now that we are starting to look like we are a few players away from a playoff run!

Imagine Next Year's Draft:

Rd 1 : RB (for the future) McFadden?
    Rd 3 : FS
    Rd 4 : OLB (Give Demeco some more help)
    FA: Quality CB2 (suddenly we have a great secondary)
    FA: Quality C
    Back from Injury: a quality Charles Spencer!!

That's one hell of a team!!

Here's our team

QB: Schaub
    RB: Green/Dayne/Rookie RB
    WR1: AJ/Mathis
    WR2: Jacoby Jones/Kevin Walter
    TE: O Daniels
    LT: C Spencer
    LG: Pitts
    C: FA
    RG: Weary
    RT: Winston

RDE: Mario Williams
    RDT: Amobi (The Force) Kenobi
    LDT: TJ
    LDE: Weaver/Orr
    LB: Clark/Barber
    LB: DeMeco Ryans
    LB: Greenwood/rookie
    SS: Boulware
    FS: Rookie 3rd rounder
    CB1: Dunta Robinson
    CB2: FA

That is extremely do-able and screams Playoffs !!! :texflag:

11. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

From a fan to another fan, please help yourself with spell check. Although I am guilty of misspelling words, your spelling is pretty bad. When I clicked on your link it was painful to read half your story. If the first thought that comes to my mind is Miss Teen South Carolina, that's not good.

12. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

If the team looked like that there could be ProBowl appearances by:
    Schaub
    AJ
    OD
    Spencer
    Mario
    Demeco
    Amobi
    Dunta
    Jacoby - PR/KR

talk about some noise!!!!!!:fans:

13. mattschaub#8

lol ok ok

14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Ditto!!!

15. mattschaub#8

ok dang can yall stop theres allready 3 peeps that talked about it on the link
    god

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Did anyone mention your spelling?

:jk:

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

perhaps a little peer pressure will whip some of you new young fans into shape. :heart:

18. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Check your private messages.

19. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

NOTE TO THE THREAD:

I am seriously like a spelling freak and it kills me to see Schaub posts. But I cannot help but think "is he a wolf in sheeps clothing"? You never know.

20. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

At least he can spell Schaub's name correctly.:tomato: