The MVP of the titan game never played a down!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Porky, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

The real MVP was a nasty guy named Ike. He came, he saw, he destroyed. And then for his encore he conquered the Titans. If ever there was a silver lining with such devastation, yesterday was it. And this proves once again - football is meant to be played in the elements.

link

2. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

That's interesting. I couldn't figure out why Fisher didn't try the kick. That explains a lot. Thanks for the info, and thank you "Ike!"

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Funny. I made it a point to watch the flags from the Bull Pen and they weren't swirling that much at all.

4. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

It still doesn't explain the call for the throw to McCareins. There are several plays that are higher percentage on 4th and short.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I didn't feel big winds....there were a few really smallish gusts but no sustained anything.

7. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I was in for Bironas kicks before kickoff. Bironas was wide left, short about 5 yards on every kick 40+ and up.

He was definitley having troubles in pregame warmups.

8. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

There was some pretty good gusts in the Bullpen in the first half.
    Pretty much 10 mph sustained wind in the 2nd half with an occasional gust.
    The wind was blowing against the kick in the 4th quarter.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I was in my seat 30 minutes early and saw Bironas kicking field goals in the north end zone. The second to last kick he had was 47 yards and was good, probably would have been good from 50-52 yards, just went over. The last one he took was 51 yards and he was wide left, but had the distance, barely.

In the second half he had a 51 yarder in the Souh end zone and I remember thinking it could have been good from 60.

When you have a kicker like that who has been successful, in our stadium, you put him in for the kick. Based on the Titans quotes after the game and Fisher having a brain fart, it seems we have gotten under their skin and they were and are flustered.

I was watching Bironas due to fantasy football implications.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  10. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

First time in my life to be at a professional football game in Houston when it was raining on the field.......may never happen again in my lifetime.

11. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Mark V said this morning that Kris Brown was also having trouble from that end before kickoff. There must have been something to it.

I just wish we could take a giant concrete saw, and cut the roof off for good. :devilpig:

12. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

I wonder if you can leave the roof open, and run the air conditioning system, and keep the fans somewhat cool? I know when I've sat in the stands with the sun on me, it's just flat out unbearable. But I do love it when the roof is open for games.

13. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Same here, and I LOVED it!! I hate the blistering heat, but the wind and rain just makes the game more interesting, and fun.

14. MannyFresh

MannyFresh El Capitan

I totally agree!! When it began to rain a little more steady and people started heading up I was like "where in the hell are yall going"?!! This is football baby...some looked at me crazy, but the majority were yelling in agreement, crowd got more into it even if it was just for a little bit. Was hella fun!

15. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

They were talking about it on ESPN this morning. By Fishers logic had the Titans been going the other way, he wouldn't have tried the FG in the 3rd quarter to put them within one (or if he did try, he wouldn't have made it). Who knows how the game would have gone from there.

At any rate, I think Jeff had a brain fart on the play.....it happens, and I'm grateful.

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

They need to revise the roof policy, IMO. I have really enjoyed the elements of the past two home games. The freezing cold on MNF and actually getting to use the Texans winter gear that I've had for years, and then yesterday seeing rain inside Reliant was cool. It was the first time (and maybe last) that I've seen rain at a pro football game in Houston.

So the silver lining to Ike revealed itself yesterday. :redtowel:

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

You ain't lying. The last three games I have been to (Jags, Packers and Titans) the games have been diffferent in more ways than one from a product and fan experience standpoint. Screw all of the marketing, give us football in inclement weather (except for 80 degrees and higher). :chickendance:

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yup. Heck just close the roof when it is 85 and above. Otherwise leave it open. I liked the rain.

19. Texanfan4ever

Texanfan4ever All Pro

The other sort of strange things about the day, among all the other strange things, was Haynesworth got hurt on the last series of the game, because the pile just fell wrong, and twisted his knee. It didn't look good, and not to wish hurt on anyone, but after all he did to Matt last year, and then he makes it through the whole game and right before we won, he gets hurt and is possibly out for awhile. It has all been very strange, and all in our favor.

AND THINGS FINALLY WENT OUR WAY! :smiliedance:

20. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

so did i.. i was sitting about midway up the stadium, and it was so surreal to watch the rain float slowly down onto the field.