The Kyle Shanahan to HC **rumors** have begun

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nero THE zero, Nov 18, 2009.

1. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

This was posted by a moderator and employee of footballguys.com, so it holds a bit more weight than your typical football forum rumor, but it is conjecture nonetheless.

That said, given the connections here I think there is a bit of substance to the rumor. And, if this happened, I can imagine the CU/Texans pipeline will begin flooding.

I don't think the OC affects our offense, given that the offense is really Kubiak's and the OC position has been a revolving door since he's been here. I also think that it is unlikely Mike chooses to be a coordinator in the NCAA when he'll likely get HC offers in the NFL, but I do think it's interesting that Kyle's already be bandied about as a potential HC.

2. scourge

scourge Digression King

I really can't see both of them working together like that.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

hmm, dad working as OC under his son? Doubt it

Theres going to be a team that takes a chance on Mike, no need to put his son in charge

4. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

If the Bills did this, I would consider it one of the biggest mistakes in a long time, and that team has made a few really big ones! :)

5. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

not happening, just a baseless rumor

6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Maybe could have bought it if the "Dad" element wasn't thrown in. Mike isn't going to go from "desired NFL head coach candidate" to "college OC."

7. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I would think Mike Shanahan would like to return to coaching in the NFL. With the productivity of the Texans offense, it seems likely that little Shanny could become a HC in the NFL at some point in the near future as well, especially with the success that Josh McDaniels is (or was) having with the Broncos this season. Of course he came from the Patriots while we're still the Texans.

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

This move doesn't make sense for either Shanahan.

Mike is going to land somewhere in the NFL next season.

Kyle is already at the Pro Level and I think he sticks this out to try and parlay it into a head coaching job in the NFL. Or, he loves being an o-coord and wants to stick with that and resist the allure of being a head coach.

It's been said by quite a few former NFL head coaches that being a head coach is a real grind. Kyle is in a good spot to have witnessed that with his dad being a HC for so long, and especially now that he's an o-coord under Kubiak.

I see this as the Buffs trying to lure the two guys to their program, since its in Colorado, and with the attraction of working together as a dad-son team.

IMO, this has little chance to become a substantive deal that those two guys would consider.

disaacks3 likes this.

9. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Agreed. The fact that Colorado is interested in Kyle Shanahan is substantiated, though the idea that Mike would work with him in a Kiffin-arrangement is simple conjecture on Cecil Lammey's part.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Agreed, don't see either guy going college now. Either could be a NFL head coach, why give up that; especially Kyle who has yet to be the guy at the highest level?

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

this rumor is way too cute to be true.

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

:hmmm: Lane Kiffin (HC) son, Monte Kiffin (DC) father....

(granted we're talking college football here, but.........)

13. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yeah, but Montey is a little older than Mike, and has never really shown a desire to be a head coach.

14. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Agreed, it won't happen. Those 2 have too big of egos to work together. This is not the same as the Kiffin situation.

15. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I'm not going to split hairs here, I merely pointed out where a father was an assistant coach under his Head Coach son.

16. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

What he said...

17. No More 8-8's

No More 8-8's Veteran

One of my favorite things about watching NFL Classic Games, is when you see the sideline, and notice all the assistance coaches and see if you recongize any of them as current coaches. Good organizations breed good coaches, but hopefully we can keep Kyle.

For the love of all things holy, please dont bring back Joe Pendry .

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

All of you Debbie Downers with the "it won't happen" posts are killing my hope here.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The difference here, is that Monte was never a successful Head Coach.

Mike Shanahan is not an offensive coordinator, he is a head coach, with a proven track record.

Taking a job as a college OC (we're talking about the Colorado Buffalos, not the Buffalo Bills) is a big, big step back.

Lane Kiffen going from a psuedo NFL head coach to Tennessee was more of a lateral move, and Monte going to work with his son, when he was talking about retiring anyway... isn't even close to "the same thing".

20. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Don't forget, when Kyle broke into the NFL his first job was in Tampa Bay with Gruden. He took that job purposefully avoiding Denver because he did not want to work with his father, he wanted to be his own coach. He wanted to be thought of independently of Mike and not just a puppet/extension of the man (who could blame him? remember Mike Shula?). It sure doesn't sound like he wants to coach with his father any time soon.