Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The I hate Dickie Injustice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. And, on top of that, if you are not a fan of Justice's and/or McClain's writing, stop reading their articles. Their success is measured by the number of hits their blogs and articles get. So, as soon as you click the link to their article/blog, you are serving their purpose, regardless of what you may think about their writing.

So, if you legitimately dislike these columnists; (1) stop buying the Chron, (2) stop cliking on their blogs and articles on Chron.com, (3) write the Chron and let them know that you're unhappy and that you've stop buying and reading the Chronicle. Otherwise, you're just racking up hits on their website which helps them sell advertising.

here's an email addy that I believe the sports editor may see.

sptletters@chron.com

some well worded emails to him about Justice and McClain will do more good than us bitching and moaning on TT. asking that Anna-Megan display her breasts in public is probably not in good form...leave that one to me please. :shades:

I can't say that I was outraged by his column. More baffled by it.

Is he suggesting that Gibbs shouldn't coach by yelling? And that because he yells he is stupid? And that Kubiak shouldn't yell at the quartebacks either?

Really? Really?
And yea he's mainly a baseball guy, and when it comes to football he's a Cowboy fan.
he really is...and there is no crying in baseball and there is much less yelling. Football is an emotional sport played with a chip on the shoulder. I don't think I've ever seen too many football coaches that didn't yell at players...George Carlin said it best.

The truth hurts (in today's piece). It's gonna be another long year if things don't change soon.
true. We look like the Arizona Cardinals of the last 20 years and that ain't such a good thing. fingers crossed.

he really is...and there is no crying in baseball and there is much less yelling. Football is an emotional sport played with a chip on the shoulder....George Carlin said it best.

true. We look like the Arizona Cardinals of the last 20 years and that ain't such a good thing. fingers crossed.

I'm gonna steal a line from Al Davis......

Just win baby.

What freakin' words?

Hey Dick Justice, in the words of the immovable Shaquille O'Neal...

Bwahahahahahaha! It took me a second to get your reference.

I looked up his quote:

"A guy who cheats in a friendly game of cards is a cheater. A pro who throws a spitball to support his family is a competitor." - Milwaukee Brewers Manager (1978-1980) George Bamberger

I guess what he is saying is that he can say whatever ugly and or provocative things he wants about whatever player or coach he wants even without basis if he is doing it for a paycheck?

Is it too much to ask to get actual football analysis?

Oh, and he did print my response:

RJ-

Actually, I have no reason to believe that Eric Winston's very positive comments about Alex Gibbs weren't sincere. He's pretty straight talking, especially for a team that doesn't have many straight talking players. And nobody from the Chronicle is reporting player disatisfaction with Gibbs. So why should I as a fan be alarmed by Gibbs yelling when many coaches in the league get profane?

My question is straightforward. Lots of coaches in the NFL, including with the Texans yell at their players. A lot. Many of the words they use are unpleasant. Why is it that you are discussing Alex Gibbs' yelling in particular?

He is one of the most accomplished coaches on the staff with a track record of success. Why discuss his yelling in particular, in comparison, to let's say, coaches with a less accomplished NFL history such as Richard Smith or Frank Bush as examples--two other yelling coaches. Do you know something that we as fans do not know?

The reason I ask this is that I can't imagine let's say, Rick Gosselin writing a column like this one: "Gee, a coach from the team is yelling and saying mean things to players. That doesn't seem smart at all. I don't like to get yelled at in my job. Hey that's mean and the head coach shouldn't allow it." Wha? Really, it is inexplicable.

So that's why I was wondering if something caused you to point out Alex Gibbs' screaming versus any of the bunches of other coaches in the league that yell at their players.

(BTW, I really think that there's some good information for Texans fans about the issues that the team is facing relating to the running game in that ESPN link I gave in my blog comment. It's been interesting seeing the slow improvement of the running back numbers in the preseason [not counting QB/WR]:

Game 1 29 attempts 85 yards 2.9 avg
Game 2 33 attempts 110 yards 3.3 avg
Game 3 26 attempts 112 yards 4.3 avg (with no Chester Pitts and an overmatched Studdard).

Hey, I'm not saying the Texans running backs are world beaters, but they just are who they are, and why you should be particularly upset with this group now versus in training camp, I have no idea).

And if you want me to reveal information that was contained in emails between each other about journalistic professionalism, I suppose I can. This is my view:

1. I've always preached that people should not personally attack people or engage in name calling. This includes sports figures and sports writers. That is is better to critically examine arguments, strategies, ideas than it is to engage in personal attacks.

2. I have suggested that some of what you have written in the past has been unprofessional:

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/09/why_does_david_carr_mishandle_1.html

I find it repugnant for a sportswriter to encourage his readership to come up with insulting nicknames for a player he covers. I think it is petty and juvenile behavior and well, not terribly professional. Because after I read that, it makes me wonder if that journalist can ever be fair covering that player.

You might see that as a personal attack. I don't know any of you as a person, but all I can judge of your professionalism is what you put into words, and I was criticizing those particular words on that particular day.

3. In a private email to you and in my public writing, I wondered outloud if there are any standards for sports writing professionalism these days. That is, when being unreasonable and provocative to obtain page hits or to get invited to being a ESPN talking head is the currency of conversation among certain sportswriters, are there any standards these days? If Skip Bayless is the standard for professionalism, then I do wonder if there are truly any standards at all.

Ultimately, you say you believe that Texans fans are too emotionally invested in their team to write critically about them. I don't know about that. It is my experience that fans are looking for rational, realistic, factually-supported criticism of the team. Most teams in the NFL aren't inherently great or awful--they are in the middle--they have strengths and weaknesses, need some breaks, have some challenges.

Sometimes I think your writing about the Texans is sort of on a roller coaster of either things being really really great or things being really really awful. One moment you see the Texans as a team "without glaring weaknesses" (even though they are very young team had a bottom rated defense in 2007 http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef.php), and then the next moment you are throwing the one of the most experienced coaches under the bus for uh yelling(?).

Ultimately, my question is a basic one. Do you know of any Texans offensive players who are unhappy with the way that Gibbs is yelling at them, or are you just extrapolating that you wouldn't like to be yelled at your job, so obviously the line isn't listening to Gibbs, or are you just sore that unlike the rest of the yelling coaches on the Texans staff, Gibbs doesn't talk to the media?

I'm just a Chronicle subscriber that tries to piece through the news we get from the team and tries to figure out what the real deal is. What is real and what is illusory. I want to know if the line is tuning out Gibbs because that is the implication of your article. I don't get too many people asking me if I'm clueless, but generally I don't hang out with impolite people.

And certainly, I didn't want to rehash that professionalism discussion, but only did because you brought it up. Sorry, hope you have a lovely Sunday in every other respect.
-Steph

It still drives me nuts that the Chronic puts that kid's byline on your work. Talk about unprofessional...

It still drives me nuts that the Chronic puts that kid's byline on your work. Talk about unprofessional...

If it is any consolation, they were very apologetic about it.

BTW, I don't think he is a kid. IIRC, he is in his mid thirties.

Every once in a while I have to read the Chronicle to recall why I don't read it.

I have met my quota for the next three months.

Be easy on Dick, if you start yelling at him too much he might get to feeling a little sensitive and respond poorly. I mean, if professional football players can't take it, how in the world will an in-over-his-head journalist hack from the Chronicle handle it?

I can't say that I was outraged by his column. More baffled by it.

Is he suggesting that Gibbs shouldn't coach by yelling? And that because he yells he is stupid? And that Kubiak shouldn't yell at the quartebacks either?

Along that line of thought, I would guess that the minority of coaches who don't spend a significant amount of time yelling at their players are head coaches. And they have just delegated the yelling to their staff. Seriously, training camp is like boot camp in the military. Yelling is part of the process of getting everyone acclimated to dealing with stress (and getting rid of those who can't).

Maybe he has been watching too many games at the YMCA.

If you thought those articles were out there, try this...

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/sure_there_have.html

I seriously thought the man was drunk when he wrote it. Most Longhorn fans I know were rolling there eyes in embarrassment.

That was the weirdest article I have ever read....I cannot believe a grown man would talk like that.....

And the fact is...Vince Young is BY FAR THE WORST QB IN THE NFL.....I have never seen a more ineffective pro quarterback than that goofball......the Titans would actually be good if they would just let Kerry Collins start....god that's saying something.....kerry collins......

That was the weirdest article I have ever read....I cannot believe a grown man would talk like that.....

And the fact is...Vince Young is BY FAR THE WORST QB IN THE NFL.....I have never seen a more ineffective pro quarterback than that goofball......the Titans would actually be good if they would just let Kerry Collins start....god that's saying something.....kerry collins......

I want to say that in an earlier version of the Vince blog post, he had a comment that said that a lot of people don't get his sense of humor. Then now when I look at the article, I can't see that any more. (That is a blog no no).

But erasing blog posts and comments is not unusual for him. Once in an in-game blog, he demanded that Kubiak get fired. And then he erased his blog post and apologized for it.

Ugh. His last 3 or 4 blogs have all been negative regarding the Texans. It seems like he just trying to get people riled up. I wouldn't believe that a professional sportswriter is getting all doom and gloom over preseason games.

One commonly held suspicion is that Justice is trolls for comments by posting inflammatory material. Getting people riled up will certainly make your blog busier.

If it is any consolation, they were very apologetic about it.

BTW, I don't think he is a kid. IIRC, he is in his mid thirties.

Really??? I thought he was a college student. At least his stuff reads like a college student's work.

We all know my feelings about not having her name there.

I think it is total BULLSHIT!! :pirate:

One commonly held suspicion is that Justice is trolls for comments by posting inflammatory material. Getting people riled up will certainly make your blog busier.

That's one way to get attention to your work. He gets insulted if you suggest he does that.

Another way is to write germaine, entertaining things worth actually reading.

The second method makes it easier to sleep at night.

That's one way to get attention to your work. He gets insulted if you suggest he does that.

The second method takes talent...something that I have never accused Justice of having.

The thing about this thread is that alot of folks are calling him a "baseball guy". His baseball takes are as weak as his other drivel. He has ZERO credibility in the Astros clubhouse. A couple of years back Brad Ausmus made the crack...

"'I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.''

Lance Berkman has called him the "Writer of Wrongs."

If there is any doubt about his asshattedness just read his takes about how the Astros should sign Barry Bonds. Justice is nothing more than a glorified. :stirpot:

Last edited:

He gets no attention from the 1st method. Once his writings no longer even get negative "attention" (because people just get plain fed up with his schtick), he won't have anything to be insulted over..............and he won't have a job either.

I've never been able to figure Justice out completely. On the one hand he often seems to have a sensible perspective and tells a good story. On the other hand he loses his sh*t on the air and yells: "I AM the media!"

But when he wrote the piece encouraging Texans fans to come up with disparaging nicknames for Mario Williams when Mario was struggling, that seemed like the pinnacle of unprofessionalism.

I've never been able to figure Justice out completely. On the one hand he often seems to have a sensible perspective and tells a good story. On the other hand he loses his sh*t on the air and yells: "I AM the media!"

He is very uneven and I'm beginning to suspect that he either has really horrible impulse control or worse, has a personality disorder.

Or he's just menstruating a lot.

But when he wrote the piece encouraging Texans fans to come up with disparaging nicknames for Mario Williams when Mario was struggling, that seemed like the pinnacle of unprofessionalism.

See, this is what I can't understand. You read perfectly good and intelligent blog posts where people express their personal opinions about the good and bad of their sports teams with much more "journalistic" integrity and professionalism than the people who get paid to do it!

I think Dick is trying to figure out a way to be a "controversial" sports personality, like the hacks they often have on ESPN's "Around the Horn," which is a horrible show at times because folks like Woody Page would rather blather on than talk about sports. Those are the people who get on TV, plain and simple, unless they're a fantastic sports JOURNALIST, which Dick Justice simply is not. So he's only got one card to play..."I'm going to be the controversial Houston sports guy," but his stuff is lame.

When your "controversial" opinions come down to personal attacks and challenging readers to come up with negative nick names for a struggling rook, then you're a sad waste of time. Couple that with an inability to stablize his own moods and reactions to things and you've just got an angry, non-witty sports guy who tries way too hard because he thinks that spewing nonsense will get him a big ESPN paycheck.

TC's responses to Dick are pure gold and an example of what some good sports blogging could do for the chronicle.

The only way to make douchebags like Dickie go away is to quit reading and reacting. And to let their bosses know that you aren't because of them.

I haven't read a Chronicle in I don't know how long, and I don't because I'm not interested in the flip-flopping style their "journalists" write in, the assinine things they write for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people, I just don't need my sports in that fassion.

I want INFORMATION!!! I don't get that with the Chronicle, from their writers, so I don't read it.

Simple as that for me. There's so many other places to get the information you want, like here for example, that I don't need to subject myself to the childish crap that a Justice or McClain spits out. They're nothing more than bloggers any more, who get paid, and they have less talent in it than many people here.

Just quit reading and reacting and if you want, let the Chronicle know they're losing readers because of them and you'd like to see them replaced by people with some conception of what journalism is.

Richard Justice is a Skip Bayless wanna be who pathetically even falls short of that. If he is so desperate for material that he talks about screaming coaches and a brand new system that hasn't even had time to get going. I've written this here before but I wrote him in the past about his flip flopping on Astros' GMs and on other subjects and he has written back with no real explanation. He thinks he is stirring it up when in reality he comes across as a sportswriter who doesn't know much about sports.

I'm beginning to believe this more and more. His blog persona is so much different than his tv/radio one.

I'm beginning to believe this more and more. His blog persona is so much different than his tv/radio one.

His blog persona is that of a jackass who wants to piss you off, and his radio persona is that of a person who is really too slow to make a radio show interesting. And neither is really worth the time to listen/read.

To be honest I'm pretty sure that the Chronicle will not fire either McClain or Justice because both have been around for a long time and the Chronicle doesn't change too much.

Whatever happened to Fran Blinebury?

He's still with The Chronic, mostly covering roundball.

I'd rather read his articles even if he knows nothing about football, than Justice. Oh well, here's to another year of Mario bashing, Vince Young love, and bandwagon hopping as soon as we do anything good, followed bandwagon jumping when we look bad.

This would be absolutely hilarious if it wasn't also sort of sad too.

Now in his blog comments RJ is referring to me as "that Stephanie woman." It's on an expanded blog post about yelling coaches. "More on Alex Gibbs and the silliness of coaches that scream."

It turns out that the Texans players are not upset at Gibbs after all. This is why Gibbs got singled out in that strange article according to RJ:

Let's review. I don't like Alex Gibbs. I think he's part of a team sport, but tries very hard not to be part of the team. He has his own set of rules apart from the team. I think he has been a great NFL coach. Maybe the game has passed him by. At this point, he hasn't made the Texans' running game better. If this continues, look for him to retire for the third or fourth time.

So it turns out that his screed about Gibbs yelling was less about yelling and more about him not liking Gibbs.

Unsurprisingly, he is wrong, even if he chooses to evaluate Gibbs' effect on the running game only based on the preseason and with the starting left guard missing the last game. Each game of the preseason, the running backs have improved.

And well, no matter how the running game does, Gibbs is likely to retire sooner than later because, well, he's old, though I think a lot of people would like to look and move around as good as he does at his age.

Now in his blog comments RJ is referring to me as "that Stephanie woman." It's on an expanded blog post about yelling coaches. "More on Alex Gibbs and the silliness of coaches that scream."

It turns out that the Texans players are not upset at Gibbs after all. This is why Gibbs got singled out in that strange article according to RJ:

So it turns out that his screed about Gibbs yelling was less about yelling and more about him not liking Gibbs.

Unsurprisingly, he is wrong, even if he chooses to evaluate Gibbs' effect on the running game only based on the preseason and with the starting left guard missing the last game. Each game of the preseason, the running backs have improved.

And well, no matter how the running game does, Gibbs is likely to retire sooner than later because, well, he's old, though I think a lot of people would like to look and move around as good as he does at his age.

I almost think journalism has passed him by

I don't mean anything bad, but holly cow .. Houston is a big city and one would think that they would have better journalist (maybe it is the lack of competition in that city)

Nice response. I think the guy gets angry that he actually gets called out by more sports educated people and he gets defensive.

That latest post just pissed me off.

F Dick Justice. He's a horrible journalist who thinks that "I don't like Gibbs, therefore he's a bad coach" is a viable and responsible opinion.

Note to chronicle: people come HERE to get their Texans news and opinions. There's more football intelligence in one thread than all year from McClain or Justice.

Well I was going to post a comment at the bottom of the blog, but then I read yours and Specs and I am not sure I could get my point across any better. Good job guys.

IMO, this guy isn't worth the paper I wipe my ass with, much less my time to comment on his queer little blog.

While on his little rant about how our running game is so bad this pre-season he mentions being 22nd in rushing next to Pitt and SD. Now, IIRC, don't the Steelers and Chargers normally land in the top 5 or so in rushing every season?? :thinking:

The guy's an asshat! He's like an Elementary School class clown. The more attention he gets, the more he acts like an ass. IMO, the best thing would be to not read or contribute to anything he does.

The Chron sucks anyways.

The 40 Year Old Virgin.....

50yearoldvirgin.jpg

That's what that picture looks like.....

The40YearOldVirgin.jpg

IMO, this guy isn't worth the paper I wipe my ass with, much less my time to comment on his queer little blog.

While on his little rant about how our running game is so bad this pre-season he mentions being 22nd in rushing next to Pitt and SD. Now, IIRC, don't the Steelers and Chargers normally land in the top 5 or so in rushing every season?? :thinking:

The guy's an asshat! He's like an Elementary School class clown. The more attention he gets, the more he acts like an ass. IMO, the best thing would be to not read or contribute to anything he does.

The Chron sucks anyways.

He's ONLY worth responding to on his blog when he insults one of us, especially when she doesn't deserve it. Steph covers the Texans heads and above the hacks at the chron and she wrote a very reasoned and even-tempered response to Dick and he got his hackles up over it.

He printed my response. I'm very surprised.

He's ONLY worth responding to on his blog when he insults one of us, especially when she doesn't deserve it. Steph covers the Texans heads and above the hacks at the chron and she wrote a very reasoned and even-tempered response to Dick and he got his hackles up over it.

He printed my response. I'm very surprised.

I saw that, very nice job. :d:

Man, a five page thread is five pages to many to spend on an asshat like Justice. He's probably rubbing his nips while he reads these rants. He's as much of a narcissistic blowhard as I've ever wasted my time hearing one.

That's all I've got to say about that! :howdy:

Man, a five page thread is five pages to many to spend on an asshat like Justice. He's probably rubbing his nips while he reads these rants. He's as much of a narcissistic blowhard as I've ever wasted my time hearing one.

That's all I've got to say about that! :howdy:

That is why I posted the thread, so we could rant over here and not up his comment count on his blog. Do you really think he reads message boards? Honest question, I just can't see it.

^^No way he reads message boards. Way too much of a prick to do so.

I'm willing to bet this is the most hits his blog has received in the past few months.

Last edited:
That is why I posted the thread, so we could rant over here and not up his comment count on his blog. Do you really think he reads message boards? Honest question, I just can't see it.

Why not? He obviously doesn't have much to do. It ain't like he has a real job or anything.

And what happened to the links at the bottom of the page? It's a real drag having to scroll all the way to the top.

Bwahahahahahaha! It took me a second to get your reference.

I looked up his quote:

"A guy who cheats in a friendly game of cards is a cheater. A pro who throws a spitball to support his family is a competitor." - Milwaukee Brewers Manager (1978-1980) George Bamberger

I guess what he is saying is that he can say whatever ugly and or provocative things he wants about whatever player or coach he wants even without basis if he is doing it for a paycheck?

Is it too much to ask to get actual football analysis?

Oh, and he did print my response:

Hey Steph you are the BOMB! Give him hell girl.
S
T
E
P
H
who do we appreciate!! STEPHANY!!!! YEH!!!!

?, Did the ahole ever answer youre question with a legitamate answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back