The Glitter of New Glitzy Stadiums..........

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, May 28, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

........are making it less and less affordable for the ordinary fan to enjoy the "live" (and sometimes the TV) football experience.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

...and this observation is by a surgeon. It certainly is not the "take me out to the ballgame" era when it's $400 to get in the door per game.

Pretty soon they are going to sell corporate naming advertisement rights to each seat so Coca Cola can label the seats next to ours and I can't remember but whatever oil company who owns the seats on the other side can advertise. What do they care? - they write if off as an expense anyway. So now we are paying for a good part of their tickets as well.

It would piss me off already but then they pass the tickets out to customers and employees who aren't fans and so there is a constant dildo on a table drone of drivel observations being made during the game.

3. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I wonder what the average ~30-yard-line/~20 rows up ticket price is for field & second level seats in the NFL is now? Gotta be redunkulous.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

I can't speak to second level and in some stadiums that has become club level so that is going to swing wildly. I would guess field level averages around $110-130 for the seats you are describing.

I guess to follow up on my earlier point. It is incredibly tough for people to take their kids to the game to learn to love it. A lot of kids at first are just there to eat the popcorn and hotdogs. It may take years for them to appreciate the game. So to have a family event, to try to get one child to enjoy your passion for football you're looking at $1300 a year - tickets plus the popcorn and hotdogs.

5. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

Speaking of glitzy stadiums, we went to a Skeeters game on Friday night. We went with some friends that have a 2 yr old, it turned out to be a really fun outing. We got $8 general admission outfield seats, which is a grassy hill. They have a water park and fancy playground with a carousel also in the outfield, along with an ice house. There is a picnic area for group outings that has a pool.

The place was sold out and it was a really fun night. Great fireworks show at the end. Oh and yeah, I think there was a baseball game going on too.

But I couldn't help thinking while there about what it takes to draw a crowd these days. The game on the field was the least important part for most people there, the glitz was the draw. Granted, this is a minor league team.

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/12/20/5-pricey-nfl-stadiums-that-will-sack-your-wallet/#ixzz1wAz2jKuk

7. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

Nothing will change, and it's questionable whether it should, as long as communities are willing to subsidize major league team facilities. Houstonians have first hand knowledge of what happens when you stand up to a greedy owner. There will always be someone else our there willing to pay the price. As far as Atlanta goes, didn't they build Georgia dome around the same time Bud Adams wanted his new venue? In a way I'm so glad Houston didn't build the Bud dome to be shared with the rockets, which iirc was the most popular project at the time. No doubt, it would have been deemed obsolete by now.

I lived in Dallas when they built the "Death Star". While it is a wonderful feat of engineering and luxury, anyone with a brain up there understands how ridiculous and over the top it is.

8. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

Aren't most of the stadiums built, over the top? The Astrodome, fondly referred to as the Eighth Wonder of the World, certainly was. Think about it, dome, astroturf, the bull show with each score, other perks unheard of at the time, list of places to see when company came to town. Also, there was a lot of money spent on retractable roofs for both MinuteMaid and Reliant for the amount of time the roofs are open.

9. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

I wasn't around when the Astrodome opened, but I imagine you're right. It's hard to imagine that everyone will demand a 60 yd HDTV, buy we may look at the Cowboys' stadium in the future as the trend setter. I personally like facilities like the Steelers and Eagles new stadiums. I think the Reliant would fall into the same category if it weren't for the retractable roof. Is it a luxury? yes. Is it absolutely necessary? No. But I still like that it's there, and that there is an option to play an open air game when the weather is right.

10. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

I like the closed roof on hot or rainy days as well, but it comes with a price. My first tickets for the Texans were $44 and now the same seat is $78. So far my tickets haven't increased since the move to Cowboys stadium, but I know it's coming. I like the conveniences there as well, so I guess there's no point in complaining.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

My prediction is that we will eventually reach a point of corporate sponsorship of TEAMS.

And each corporate franchise will sign an exclusive, timed deal with individual cities. So if you have a shiny stadium but no team, sign a deal with the FedEx Cowboys or Coca-Cola Seahawks for a ten-year deal.

I think it's a natural economic evolution for corporations to pick up the slack as cities continue to slide down the rabbit hole to eventual insolvency.

And it works well with the on-going drive to globalize the product.

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

That's actually a kind of a throwback to the old days when you had teams sponsored by Meat Packing companies and Food Starch companies.

13. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

So, when do you think the NFL will cave into the pressure, or run out of other new revenue streams, and we will see a big Reliant Energy (doesn't have to be, could be McDonald's) logo on the front of the Texans jerseys?

14. The Pencil Neck

That's just it, though. It's not about the NFL running out of revenue streams, it's about the owners of the clubs running out of revenue streams and having issues with the stadiums and fanbases.

Imagine someone like a Paul Allen getting fed up with their city's support so they rename the team the Allen Seahawks, or the McNair Texans, or the Mara Giants and then each season they make deals with individual cities/stadiums for the rights to host their team's home games.

Back in the old days, you had corporate sponsorship of teams because the "owners" of those teams were guys who didn't have much money. Now many of the owners of the teams are guys who have tons of money. As the rich become richer, we'll probably see more and more instances of single person or family ownership instead of corporate ownership.

Although those people or families might start selling advertising space on their jerseys and helmets so that the players start looking like racecar drivers. We've already had a taste of that at training camp.

15. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Yep, exactly. A prime example of that history is the Green Bay Packers. The Indian Packing Company gave $500 for equipment and uniforms. The condition was that the team be named for its sponsor.

All it takes is one owner down the road to see the new gold mine. Cities and fans will eventually have a financial ceiling, and we are starting to see that now. The most logical path is to tap into corporate pocketbooks, which is a trend that has been well under way with stadium naming rights.

Mix in that with the NFL's current globalization plans, and the league might look completely different in a matter of decades.

And we will be those old people talking jibberish to the young fans about how teams used to be about city pride and part of a community (based on our perceptions, of course).

16. The Pencil Neck

The other example I gave was for the Decatur Staleys named after the Food Starch company that gave the team money to get started. That team later moved and changed its name to the Chicago Bears.

17. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

I am surprised they did not become the Green Bay Indians.