Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"The Genius is Back!"

prostock101

Mr. Big
My thoughts and ramblings on the coming season........

Michael Boulware - We actually traded for someone not a Packer or a Bronco AND someone I've actually heard of. Seattle fans probably sent out a collective, "Who?". Good trade.

Running Backs - Green will have a great season barring injury. I agree with Spencer Tillman that Gado should be the number 2 but I really believe Taylor would have made the 2 had he not been hurt. I also never liked the Morency trade and thought he should have been given more of a chance.

QB's - Schuab will be a great QB and I don't think the offense will lose a step if Rosenfel's is in. Probably one of the best backups in the league.

D-Line - A work in progress but I see some light at the end of the tunnel. Weaver coming back will help and I really like the way they're moving Mario around and putting Orr in the mix. Kalu said it best about Mario. "He needs to be a freak".

O-Line - They'll be fine as long as they stay healthy because depth wise we're not there yet. I hate to say it but I'd be shocked if Spencer ever plays again.

Linebackers - DEMECO! Nuff said....

TE's - Daniels is the real deal and Putzier looked great.

Secondary - D-Rob is playing lights out. Bennett has some real promise and the addition of Boulware should really help.

Receivers - Johnson, Walters, and Jacoby in the slot. I love it. Put in Davis and Mathis in a five wide set and you've got the defense on their heels.

Special Teams - Where's the love for Kris Brown. Great preseason and Turk will really help the field position battle. What can you say about Mathis and Jacoby returning kicks. Awesome.

Coaching - Kubiak is all business and I like how he and Smith have revamped this squad and have a real direction.

Prediction - We had more players on IR last year than any other team and still had 6 wins. If this team can stay healthy, especially the OLine, then we have a chance to win some games this year. Playoffs? Probably not but you never know. I think next year is when this team makes it's mark.

"Genius since 1952" :texan:

My responses to ProStock's post:

Michael Boulware - We actually traded for someone not a Packer or a Bronco AND someone I've actually heard of. Seattle fans probably sent out a collective, "Who?". Good trade.
My Response: Nice to have some depth to make this deal. Has a lot of risk and a lot of upside. I hope, with good coaching, it works out well for us. Although, I think our need here is more coverage and not so much ability to make a hit.

Running Backs - Green will have a great season barring injury. I agree with Spencer Tillman that Gado should be the number 2 but I really believe Taylor would have made the 2 had he not been hurt. I also never liked the Morency trade and thought he should have been given more of a chance.
My Response: I agree.

QB's - Schuab will be a great QB and I don't think the offense will lose a step if Rosenfel's is in. Probably one of the best backups in the league.
My Response: It appears Schaub will be at least an excellent QB & I agree about Sage.

D-Line - A work in progress but I see some light at the end of the tunnel. Weaver coming back will help and I really like the way they're moving Mario around and putting Orr in the mix. Kalu said it best about Mario. "He needs to be a freak".
My Response: I now feel about the same as I felt at the end of last year. This group has potential but, they need to start showing it. The Cowboy game gives us hope. I'm not sure why they kept Killings and Zgonia. I would've kept the younger guys to develop and I think they showed more than Killings and Zgonia this preseason.

O-Line - They'll be fine as long as they stay healthy because depth wise we're not there yet. I hate to say it but I'd be shocked if Spencer ever plays again.
My Response: I'm still worried about this unit and I have no idea why we kept Black over Frye.

My Response: Demeco is very good but, NO that is not nuff said. The OLB's are still weak IMO and need to step it up. We added depth this offseason but, not quality.

My Response: Agreed but, why are we keeping 4?

Secondary - D-Rob is playing lights out. Bennett has some real promise and the addition of Boulware should really help.
My Response: Agreed but, they still have a long ways to go.

Receivers - Johnson, Walters, and Jacoby in the slot. I love it. Put in Davis and Mathis in a five wide set and you've got the defense on their heels.
My Response: Agreed .... hope we scheme to effectively take advantage of this group.

Special Teams - Where's the love for Kris Brown. Great preseason and Turk will really help the field position battle. What can you say about Mathis and Jacoby returning kicks. Awesome.
My Response: Agreed.

Coaching - Kubiak is all business and I like how he and Smith have revamped this squad and have a real direction.
My Response: Perception is good, I hope it translates to reality.

Prediction - We had more players on IR last year than any other team and still had 6 wins. If this team can stay healthy, especially the OLine, then we have a chance to win some games this year. Playoffs? Probably not but you never know. I think next year is when this team makes it's mark.
My Response: I don't think we can seriously be playoff contenders this year with big ??? still on oline, OLB, and secondary (and will the dline step up?) but, next year is a definite possibility.

I am liking the moves that the new FO is doing

with that: I looked at our past drafts of the old regime
2002 only pitts and Faggins remain
2003 only Johnson
2004-only D-robinson and Earl (injured)
2005-T Johnson,Mathis, and Brown.
:thud:
new regime
2006-willams,ryans,spencer(injured),winston,daniels

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/2006/

1 - I'm not sure why they kept Killings and Zgonia. I would've kept the younger guys to develop and I think they showed more than Killings and Zgonia this preseason.

2 - I'm still worried about this unit and I have no idea why we kept Black over Frye.

3 - Demeco is very good but, NO that is not nuff said. The OLB's are still weak IMO and need to step it up. We added depth this offseason but, not quality.

4 - Agreed but, why are we keeping 4?

I chopped up your quote to respond:

1. Zgonina has looked good this preseason. Killings is gone. None of the other young DT's were performing at near Zgonina's level.

2. I agree.

3. It really bothered me seeing Danny Clark missing tackles in the last preseason game.

4. We've got 4 TE's because... that's a position we can trade from if we need to. If it comes down to it, we can probably trade Putzier and get some value and Dreessen has looked pretty good so far this preseason catching the ball and being used as a FB. I think Jameel Cook is also another possible trade/cut person.

I feel your right about Spencer. Sounds like a vertical break instead of lateral. The bone would of healed by now if the break was horizontal.

My responses to ProStock's post:

My Response: Nice to have some depth to make this deal. Has a lot of risk and a lot of upside. I hope, with good coaching, it works out well for us. Although, I think our need here is more coverage and not so much ability to make a hit.

My Response: I agree.

My Response: It appears Schaub will be at least an excellent QB & I agree about Sage.

My Response: I now feel about the same as I felt at the end of last year. This group has potential but, they need to start showing it. The Cowboy game gives us hope. I'm not sure why they kept Killings and Zgonia. I would've kept the younger guys to develop and I think they showed more than Killings and Zgonia this preseason.

My Response: I'm still worried about this unit and I have no idea why we kept Black over Frye.

My Response: Demeco is very good but, NO that is not nuff said. The OLB's are still weak IMO and need to step it up. We added depth this offseason but, not quality.

My Response: Agreed but, why are we keeping 4?

My Response: Agreed but, they still have a long ways to go.

My Response: Agreed .... hope we scheme to effectively take advantage of this group.

My Response: Agreed.

My Response: Perception is good, I hope it translates to reality.

My Response: I don't think we can seriously be playoff contenders this year with big ??? still on oline, OLB, and secondary (and will the dline step up?) but, next year is a definite possibility.

Since you pretty much agreed with everything I said, I officially appoint you a "Genius" on this board.

Good luck and godspeed.......

Back