Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Future of Andre Johnson...

Apoch

Noob
After a down season - plagued by injuries and being forced into shorter routes by poor pass protection - what should we expect from Andre Johnson this year?

Many people call him the next rising star; one of the best in the league, a monster of a talent. Now, with a very good offensive-minded coach, Johnson needs to actually fulfill the things said about him (because none of it is a stretch). With a good off-season we should see Johnson return to the top of the NFL receivers list. What can AJ do to separate from the pack? Anyone remember this from training camp?...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1825

I hope this actually comes to pass. Rice's off-season workouts are legendary, and those that join him in it have had huge seasons afterwards (Ricky Waters for one). Also, spending time with Carr working on timing would be a good idea as well.

With all the attention on Bush/Young/Trade down and staff signings I felt it was a good idea to switch gears. Thoughts?

Johnson's a beast and I cant wait to see how Kubiak will impact Johnson's role in this offense. I'm betting on him being one of the elites in the game in no time!

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
I think he'll be oustanding in a new system. He worked harder this off-season than he had at any other time and then was extremely disconcerted in the "pass it to the receiver at the line of scrimmage" offense we degenerated into.

He'll be ready.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He's going to have a monster year as one of the playmaking cornerstones of Kubiak's offensive schemes. It seemed to me that the whole team lacked any fire under Capers, AJ included. I have no doubt that new blood and leadership will inspire many of these players to realize their true potential.

I can't wait to see it! :redtowel:

powerfuldragon

Enchilada Aficionado.
MightyTExan said:
We still need a 2nd threat. What The Seahawks did to Smith is what AJ has been facing his career.

we should have a second threat in mathis. i don't know why we didn't send him on streaks all season.

I am hoping Joppru will finally come out of IR and prove to be a credible threat. If the team does not think that is plausible, maybe they will draft a TE that can help him out. UT's Dave Thomas, anyone?

oso said:
I am hoping Joppru will finally come out of IR and prove to be a credible threat. If the team does not think that is plausible, maybe they will draft a TE that can help him out. UT's Dave Thomas, anyone?
Dave Thomas would be a nice addition if he was available on the second day.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
oso said:
maybe they will draft a TE that can help him out. UT's Dave Thomas, anyone?
Did someone say Dave Thomas??

I have been on that wagon since the beginning of the season.

Meloy

Veteran
MightyTExan said:
We still need a 2nd threat. What The Seahawks did to Smith is what AJ has been facing his career.
2nd threats as I see it if Bush is drafted; Mathis even if he can only hang on to a pass 50% of time, DD out of back field, Bush on a swing pass in flat, Gafney or Armstrong from the slot, and even though I don't like 'em maybe we will have a tight end that catches 3-5 passes a game.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
Bronco Texan said:
Get use to seeing them! TEs are a big part of Kubes offensive.
Great! That means our defense will also benefit because they'll practice covering them!

man r u serious that Mathis is as good a bush? I'm still in disblief that someone would say that. that is too funny

Apoch

Noob
TXurias said:
man r u serious that Mathis is as good a bush? I'm still in disblief that someone would say that. that is too funny
As far as kick returning is concerned, Mathis is better than Bush. He has already made the probowl at the NFL level returning kicks. Reggie Bush hasn't, therefore he can't be considered as good.

HoustonFan

Veteran
Apoch said:
After a down season - plagued by injuries and being forced into shorter routes by poor pass protection - what should we expect from Andre Johnson this year?

Many people call him the next rising star; one of the best in the league, a monster of a talent. Now, with a very good offensive-minded coach, Johnson needs to actually fulfill the things said about him (because none of it is a stretch). With a good off-season we should see Johnson return to the top of the NFL receivers list. What can AJ do to separate from the pack? Anyone remember this from training camp?...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1825

I hope this actually comes to pass. Rice's off-season workouts are legendary, and those that join him in it have had huge seasons afterwards (Ricky Waters for one). Also, spending time with Carr working on timing would be a good idea as well.

With all the attention on Bush/Young/Trade down and staff signings I felt it was a good idea to switch gears. Thoughts?
Good post. I remember watching the interview on one of those networkers last offseason when the Broncos were in town. Carr getting together w/ his WRs, working on routes, timing is a great idea. Too often DD was getting more touches than the WRs this past season - it has always seemed like that to me though. Carr could take his O-line out for some steaks as well, or BBQ for them - in the hopes that, even with new personnel and coaching staff, they will protect him better next season.

I'm looking for AJ to build on his Pro-Bowl year and get back there as well. Hopefully he'll be joined by more of his teammates.

MorKnolle

All Pro
stevo3883 said:
Mathis ran a 4.28
AJ ran a 4.38
Bush reported to run 4.28
Mathis ran an average of a 4.28 at the combine with a top time of 4.26. Bush at some point in his career has apparently been timed at 4.28. I think Mathis is still faster straight-line speed, but Bush is quicker and more fluid in his running and uses his speed a little better.

The Preacher

Waterboy
MorKnolle said:
Mathis ran an average of a 4.28 at the combine with a top time of 4.26. Bush at some point in his career has apparently been timed at 4.28. I think Mathis is still faster straight-line speed, but Bush is quicker and more fluid in his running and uses his speed a little better.
Makes you think Bush's hype will start flying come the combines as he will probably have heads spinning. I get the feeling somebody will give up the farm after they see Reggie go. It's about the best thing the trade down camp has to look forward to since moving up, giving up picks to spend more money when there are other backs simply doesn't make much sense, unless he obviously becomes by far the best prospect in recent times.

stevo3883

Rookie
The Preacher said:
Makes you think Bush's hype will start flying come the combines as he will probably have heads spinning. I get the feeling somebody will give up the farm after they see Reggie go. It's about the best thing the trade down camp has to look forward to since moving up, giving up picks to spend more money when there are other backs simply doesn't make much sense, unless he obviously becomes by far the best prospect in recent times.
he really doesnt need to run at the combine, everyone knows how fast he is.

michaelm

vox nihili
Anybody know what Jerry Rice is doing now that he's retired?
Considering the connection that he and Andre reportedly made with each other, I'd really like to see him come in and coach our receivers...

BradK10

Veteran
Big B Texan Fan said:
Bush cannot run in the 4.2's. Sorry it ain't happening. 4.3's sure but not 4.2's.

Still fast as heck though
agreed, 4.2's is blazing, I mean...wasnt Mathis and like two other guys the only ones that ran sub 4.3 at the combine last year?

Remember when Colorado was always producing guys running 4.2s, and more recently VaTech, then at the combine it was about .15 secs slower?

Back on topic.

AJ needs to start catching balls and work on the drops if he wants to be considered a top flight #1 for seasons to come.

And don't expect AJ to hand with Carr off season and work on routes and timing and such. He doesn't like him all that much. A girl my wife used to work with went on a few dates Kendrick Starling back during the '04 season and he said things like the 2 not having a relationship conducive to winning. I also got a friend that used to bartends at the Mercury room and overheard AJ and Colemen dogging him out.

Those are pure rumors although when I heard them I found it hard to not believe considering the product on the field.

BradK10 said:
agreed, 4.2's is blazing, I mean...wasnt Mathis and like two other guys the only ones that ran sub 4.3 at the combine last year?

Remember when Colorado was always producing guys running 4.2s, and more recently VaTech, then at the combine it was about .15 secs slower?
It's hard to believe whatever speed/weight/heighth a player has when the source is the school that they go to.

BradK10

Veteran
Big B Texan Fan said:
Back on topic.

AJ needs to start catching balls and work on the drops if he wants to be considered a top flight #1 for seasons to come.

And don't expect AJ to hand with Carr off season and work on routes and timing and such. He doesn't like him all that much. A girl my wife used to work with went on a few dates Kendrick Starling back during the '04 season and he said things like the 2 not having a relationship conducive to winning. I also got a friend that used to bartends at the Mercury room and overheard AJ and Colemen dogging him out.

Those are pure rumors although when I heard them I found it hard to not believe considering the product on the field.
Oh the dreaded "my best friends brothers girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this girl..." syndrome :rolleyes:

On that note, I'm not particullary enamored that AJ hangs with that loser Marcus Coleman.

Look, Peyton and Marvin don't really like each other either, but if they can make it work on Sundays for 1/3 a year, I'm okay with that.

BradK10

Veteran
Big B Texan Fan said:
It's hard to believe whatever speed/weight/heighth a player has when the source is the school that they go to.
agreed, for years while at Texas Roy Williams was 6'5"

BradK10

Veteran
hmmm, no comment on the fact that marvin and peyton don't get along, or that perhaps our biggest star hangs out with our biggest loser on the team?

naw, just go ahead and keep ignoring the parts of my posts that don't go along with your point...i understand, it's human nature

BradK10 said:
hmmm, no comment on the fact that marvin and peyton don't get along, or that perhaps our biggest star hangs out with our biggest loser on the team?

naw, just go ahead and keep ignoring the parts of my posts that don't go along with your point...i understand, it's human nature
OK OK, I'll comment.
Peyton and Marvin don't hang out all that much or don't like each other. Who cares, that's their situation.

As far as AJ hangin with Colemen. I doubt they met up at one of the others house and borrowed clothes, went out to starbux 1st, paid some bills at the courtesy desk @ HEB, swung by jiffy lube for a quick 26 point inspection, got haircuts, and theeeeeeeeeeeeeeen went out. They probably bumped into each other if anything.

BradK10

Veteran
Big B Texan Fan said:
OK OK, I'll comment.
Peyton and Marvin don't hang out all that much or don't like each other. Who cares, that's their situation.

As far as AJ hangin with Colemen. I doubt they met up at one of the others house and borrowed clothes, went out to starbux 1st, paid some bills at the courtesy desk @ HEB, swung by jiffy lube for a quick 26 point inspection, got haircuts, and theeeeeeeeeeeeeeen went out. They probably bumped into each other if anything.

BUT that's all speculative...on both our sides. I just have a real hate for Coleman

TheOgre

All Pro
Meloy said:
and even though I don't like 'em maybe we will have a tight end that catches 3-5 passes a game.
You don't like TE's? Wow, I have never heard that one before.

A TE that can catch very well and is at least a compentent blocker would be a key addition to Carr's arsenal. It would also help combat the cover 2 defenses we face on a weekly basis.